OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

ha.somebody updated wikipedia a few minutes ago kindly advising of Daves new model!

did the 71 have a funny coathanger thingy on the roof or was it 3rd rail electro-diesel only????

3rd and coat hanger mate.

AFAIK the panto was for shunting around yards where there would be a man on the ground (as i understand it) and it was felt safer to have overhead yards and not third rail.

If i'm wrong i'm sure someone will correct me.

cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

A most ambitious and innovative project Dave and I wish you all the best with it.

The 71 is perhaps one of the few real gaps in the catalogues of what we call "modern" traction.  It's also called "heritage" these days as well!   This deserves to do well and I am delighted to see that the tool will accommodate a future class 74 release.

I am fully committed for the year ahead as I have to take account of the likely arrival of a number of other items now under the DJM umbrella. The 71 would also probably be a plinthed exhibit rather than a runner here.  However if the 74 was to be included in a future announcement I would be happy to support that with a Kickstart payment.

• RMweb Gold

AFAIK the panto was for shunting around yards where there would be a man on the ground (as i understand it) and it was felt safer to have overhead yards and not third rail.

cheers

Dave

You are correct regarding the overhead - very much tramway style with just a contact wire and no catenary wire.

• RMweb Gold

cheers

Dave

The catenary was still at Ashford March 2004.  No idea if it's still there.

revAshfordPlywoodsidedVanIU083525Mar04_z

• Like 4

The catenary was still at Ashford March 2004.  No idea if it's still there.

revAshfordPlywoodsidedVanIU083525Mar04_z

I think that's still there- the best person to ask is Paul Wade (Lydd Rail), as his office is just across the tracks. I believe some has survived at Hoo Jct, again because it's used to support lights. The reception sidings at Shepherdswell also had overhead; that'd be one to upset people. A colliery in rural Kent, with a DC electric taking its juice off some overhead wires, whilst 4-CEPs rumbled past on the main line.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think that's still there- the best person to ask is Paul Wade (Lydd Rail), as his office is just across the tracks. I believe some has survived at Hoo Jct, again because it's used to support lights. The reception sidings at Shepherdswell also had overhead; that'd be one to upset people. A colliery in rural Kent, with a DC electric taking its juice off some overhead wires, whilst 4-CEPs rumbled past on the main line.

There used to be a lot of OLE at Hither Green in my day, as well as a siding where you might see several ELs parked together, but the down yard seemed to disappear under new berthing sidings for the 465s circa 1990. ISTR the prototype Southern Railway OLE was in the yard at Balcombe, dear to the hearts of members Re6/6 and 10800.

As far as safety on the ground was concerned, the new carriage shed at Grove Park built in the early '60s had conductor rail in the shed, in contrast to earlier sheds where there were trolley jumpers for EMUs to be moved in and out, yet less than a mile away, more or less at the same time, the OLE was being erected in the freight yard.

40 years ago this summer I spent a week on traction experience on the South Eastern, sitting in the second man's seat. The EL (71) was more comfortable than a Crompton (33), I found, but maybe less so than an EDL (73). 

• Like 3

Now THE iconic freight vehicle to go with these loco's is the classic Spanish RENFE blue TRANSFESA ferry vans with the clever wobbly wheels for the different gauges..... (HINT HINT) - recreating the onion trains from Dover Marine to lord knows where................

I believe Jon Hall has scratchbuilt one in his marvellous Ferry van thread or there's stuff in here

www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/45271-transfesa-blue-fruit-vans-195x-to-the-90ies/

OOOO I do believe I'm frothing................. :yahoo:

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's a pic on Flickr which shows the overhead at Hoo Jcn and as can be seen fairly well  it is tramway style with no catenary wire.  Hefty structures carrying it, I've an idea that soem at Hither Green was carried on span wires instead of girder work but it's an awful long time since I saw it (it looks as if there might be some of that style in the background in this picture plus the metal pole in the immediate foreground appears to be part of the overhead system too).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21602076@N05/8103826539/

Edited by The Stationmaster

Somewhere I have the wiring layout diagrams for all the wired locations and some B&W pictures of HG yards taken from on top of the lighting towers in 1966 - these I inherited from one of the guys at Southern House that was involved in the wiring scheme on his retirement. These show a number of plain green 71's as well as a Class 20 & a Class 15 in the down yard - got some hunting to do.

Amongst the wired locations were

Ashford

Hither Green

Shepherdswell

Faversham

Sittingbourne

Angerstein Branch

Abbey Wood sidings

Hoo Jn

Dover Town

Maidstone East

There may be others - some locations just had the yard reception line wired.

Can't recall Tonbridge, Ramsgate, Margate, Paddock Wood, Stewarts Lane being wired. Gillingham, Rochester Goods & Strood definitely weren't

VERY popular loco's amongst drivers, 38 step notching, no gapping and they'd do a ton light very easily...........

blather....................... :scratchhead:

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can't recall Tonbridge, Ramsgate, Margate, Paddock Wood, Stewarts Lane being wired. Gillingham, Rochester Goods & Strood definitely weren't

I relieved (as SM) at all those except Tonbridge/Paddock Wood in the late '70s. No sign of OLE at any of them.

WHAHOOOO!!!!!

E5004 pulled the golden arrow in green with no yellow panels (also later in blue, albeit the coaches were blue grey as well).

Please please please Dave include some Golden Arrow plates and flags.....

Two thoughts or questions, I wonder why E5001 was not in the batch. :scratchhead:

Would E5001 not make sense.  It made a few trips on the main line in the early 90's on railtours.  It's the only one i'd consider buying.  I know I could renumber it but would not want to renumber a premium loco.

A great loco to release Dave, as is the 59.  Looking forward to seeing these. 

I'm afraid E5001 was left of this list for other possibilities that I can't go into at this minute.

Cheers

Dave

Going out on a limb here but ... I would speculate that it is just vaguely possible the NRM might possibly have a slight passing interest in E5001.

Of course, I could be wrong! ;)