OO Gauge Hudswell Clarke 24t 0-6-0ST

DJM Dave

YES YES YES!!!! Just what I've been waiting for, this is the same as Derek Crouch at NVR in repsonse to Dan, a loco I've been cosmetically restoring for the past 2 1/2 years!!! A 00 model is just what I've been waiting for :)

Thank you. Thats excellent news, and cemented my decision to preorder one. Is there any hint that maybe one day crouch or even jacks green May steam again?

and seeing locos at the old mine close to Patricroft on my way into Victoria.. In the early 80's.

There weren't any mines close to Patricroft, well, not that hadn't closed pre 1900. Nor any other industrial steam operations which were that close, I know, it was my local shed.

Do you mean Agecroft perhaps? Agecroft Power Station (CEGB), immediately adjacent to Agecroft Colliery, operated three RSH 0-4-0ST's. I cannot recall when they went out of service there but they were certainly in use in the late 70's, probably longer.

• RMweb Gold

Finally. This is, if I'm not mistaken, the first genuinely industrial R-T-R steam loco, if you exclude the 'J94' types, which also count as a BR type.

Arguably the Essar/Hamblings Gnat was the first but it was semi-freelance although with very much the look of a small industrial 0-4-0T.  This is I think the first accurate model of an industrial steam loco apart from the Model Rail Sentinel

But nice to have one coming in 00 that looks like a railway engine!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good to see such good news in 00 industrial RTR, especially for quality at this price and a big step up from those odd Spanish-type locos masquerading as Scots and Welsh ones. Deserves to succeed.

Dava

Ahh another that I will be purchasing at least one.... Dave my Visa card has scarpered and is hiding under a pile of stuff in the corner..... Another great choice and one that I have to support. 

Thank you. Thats excellent news, and cemented my decision to preorder one. Is there any hint that maybe one day crouch or even jacks green May steam again?

Hi Dan,

Derek Crouch will be coming out cosmetically restored in Derek Crouch house colours of maroon, at the September steam gala over the weekend of the 13/14, when it will be replacing jacks green which is going to be cosmetically restored as well into Nassington quarry livery. As to either returning to steam, it all depends on finances really, although I and others would love to see Derek Crouch steam again :)

Absolutely over the moon at this announcement.  Can I make a plea though on behalf of us wierdo's who like EM or P4 modelling - please can you make sure this is an "easy" conversion. I'm not asking for off the shelf finescale, just please try to avoid the complications some models force us into in converting them! 

Many thanks

Alastair

... Can I make a plea though on behalf of us wierdo's who like EM or P4 modelling - please can you make sure this is an "easy" conversion...

Positively, on a subject without splashers or outside cylinders, this will likely make for a better OO model too.

Could be a problem catering for EM on a subject with outside cylinders and splashers close fitting for width. P4, not such a problem as the wheel face finishes up practically co-located with an OO 'commercial fine scale' wheel face.

Positively, on a subject without splashers or outside cylinders, this will likely make for a better OO model too.

Could be a problem catering for EM on a subject with outside cylinders and splashers close fitting for width. P4, not such a problem as the wheel face finishes up practically co-located with an OO 'commercial fine scale' wheel face.

You could always go for EM gauge with P4 wheels?

Gordon A

Bristol

Hello.

The Eric Tonks book on Corby gives PEN GREEN as Hudswell Clarke 607 of 1903, with 13" X 20" cylinders and 3'3" wheels. 

I think the 24 ton Hudswells are 14" cylinders.

All the very best

Les

Hello.

The Eric Tonks book on Corby gives PEN GREEN as Hudswell Clarke 607 of 1903, with 13" X 20" cylinders and 3'3" wheels. 

I think the 24 ton Hudswells are 14" cylinders.

All the very best

Les

Hi Les, 

Yes I have the same (excellent) book - but I've just found out that the 24 ton design does indeed have 13" cylinders, so good news.

Cheers

Paul A. 

Hell's Bells Dave!  I missed this one completely 'til today.  What with the J94, Q6 and these I'll definitely need a new layout.  So many locos, so little time.......................... :locomotive: