OO Gauge Hudswell Clarke 24t 0-6-0ST

DJM Dave

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not sure if it exactly the same loco as there were lots of subtle variations but a Hudswell Clark can appear in GCR or LNER livery too. No 278 (GCR Class 4) went on to become an  LNER J61 and wasn't withdrawn until 1931. It was an ex contractors loco taken over by the GCR after its work on a dock building contract had been completed. Just the thing for "Sutton Dock"

Superb choice of prototype and I reckon these will fly off the shelves!

Tony

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

No comments here since November and no reference to the project (that I can find) on DJM's website; has this project been scrubbed?

It would be marvellous to have a RTR model of a small industrial and particularly good news if it is to DJM standards.

If possible, and not too late, I wonder if a thought could be spared for those of us who remain in an unevolved pre-group phase - a variant with an early cab for the c.1890-1914 period would be most welcome.  I realise that this is a controversial heterodoxy that will surprise and dismay most members of the hobby, but, apparently, railways existed before the 1950s (and were quite varied and colourful too). 

"Build it and they will run"

• Like 3

Doubtless any progress on this model will be revealed in good time. 

Dave (or his commissioning agencies) have recently shared progress on his J94, the Hattons 14xx, the Hattons King, the Kernow LSWR gate stock and the Class 71. 

There are a lot of irons in the fire. I'm confident we'll see the Hudswell-Clarke eventually, but my guess is that the J94 will need to be flying off shelves before we see tooling cut.

Please do not mistake my question for one of the periodic expressions of impatience one sometimes sees.  It was the apparent disappearance of references to the model on DJM's website that raised the concern, rather than the absence of updates.  I assume that an absence of updates merely means there is nothing to update, which, of course, is fine.

I have ample patience.  I have considerable confidence in DJM.  Confirmation that the project has not been abandoned was all I was looking for; the "if" part, the "when" will be whenever. 

Otherwise I tend to agree that life is better without speculative, anticipatory and impatient posts. 

• Like 1

Interested to read Edwardian's comments. I'm watching developments on the Hudswell with great interest myself. I'm (very) slowly accumulating locomotives and stock for a long planned light railway layout. Progress is on a geological time scale at present as I build the occasional kit in between various narrow gauge projects which take up most of my limited modelling time. I've had the Hudswell earmarked ever since it was announced and it's highly likely that I'll replace the cab t represent an earlier loco when I eventually get one. To be honest, it's one less brass kit I'll need to build to cover the prototypes that interest me so I'm happy to wait for as long as it takes for the project to come to fruition. 

Edited by PatC
  • Like 1

Dave would you be able to incorporate useable three link couplings on the loco? Don't what others think?

I'd rather have scale draw hooks (which are easily removable!), allowing the end user to fit scale/non-scale hooks and links of their choice, purchased from a third party supplier. If you're using three links, chances are you are willing and skilled enough to fit them yourself, to your specs. 

Paul A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dave would you be able to incorporate useable three link couplings on the loco? Don't what others think?

Personally, I'd prefer to have just slots in the beams with cosmetic hooks and functional 3-links in the detail pack. That would allow maximum choice for the end user.

As a user of aftermarket automatic couplers (non-NEM Kadee or Sprat & Winkle depending on which layout the model is destined for) a far more important innovation would be for the body and chassis to fit together in such a way as to leave room to fit them without blocking access to any fixing screws.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling

• 2 weeks later...

For those concerned, I emailed Dave early in June to ask about this. He said at the time that he hoped to have the info up on his site within a week; whilst that doesn't appear to have happened, I think we can at least take that as encouragement that progress is still being made :)

I for one am not worried. DJ will get round to it when time allows. I would like to think that they will sell by the thousands.... So we all get more little industrial loco's.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's Wissington seen last week ready for the Foxfield Gala just gone. What a lovely little machine she is, I wasn't going to be drawn by the prospect of a 4mm model, however, having experienced the real thing...

post-8705-0-69304900-1437398431_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

I'm a bit slow on the uptake here.

What an excellent choice of prototype and a real change from the norm.  Great to see a true 4mm industrial loco being produced. 

I'd imagine this will sell like hot cakes and give you the incentive to go on a make more industrials all being well.  (Perhaps a Manning Wardle H Class 0-4-0! ;) )

I've pre-ordered mine and will be getting a 14xx from Hattons as well.

I wish you every success with this venture.

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 months later...

Hi Dave,

I'm a bit slow on the uptake here.

What an excellent choice of prototype and a real change from the norm.  Great to see a true 4mm industrial loco being produced. 

I'd imagine this will sell like hot cakes and give you the incentive to go on a make more industrials all being well.  (Perhaps a Manning Wardle H Class 0-4-0! ;) )

I've pre-ordered mine and will be getting a 14xx from Hattons as well.

I wish you every success with this venture.

Cheers,

Mark

The H-Class 0-4-0 is an NER deisgn by Thomas Wordsell, not a Manning Wardle! Nonetheless I'd love to see any Mannings and the NER H-Class in oo.

Anyway, Dave's website's promising a big update on Sunday. Fingers crossed!

You are mixing up two separate classes, there was the North Eastern H class 0-4-0T AND there was also a Manning Wardle H class 0-4-0ST, both very different and the latter a distinctive little industrial tank loco.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is my take on a Manning Wardle 'H' Class built on an Hornby L&Y Pug chassis following Phil Parker's excellent article.

blogentry-7584-0-78063000-1377941184_thu

More pictures can be found on my blog and on my Juniper Hill layout thread.

I'd love to hear how the Hudswell-Clarke is progressing but an 'H' Class like this would be a great announcement from Dave as well to complement it.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Well done, Mark on that superb model of a Manning Wardle H class 0-4-0. You have made a superb job of that body, and it reminds me of the A8 4-6-2T which I built some years ago in a similar way.

With regards,

Rob.

• 3 weeks later...

I stand corrected on the H-Class. That model is wonderful; wish I had the time and resources to try it myself!

While there are no Manning Wardle H classes preserved in this country, (though there are in Australia), the frames of one still exist. Bonus points for anyone who knows where they are....

• Like 1