Comet Models

artisan100

I only just heard the news of Geoff's passing, after seeing a comment in another thread. I only briefly spoke with him, but he was very encouraging to me as a new modeller, and I had looked forward to progressing on to making more Comet kits as my modelling abilities improve.

As others have said, the hobby has lost a true gentleman and someone who could inspire new and experienced modellers alike.

Condolences to his family.

Jamie

Both my Mother and I would like to thank those people who attended the memorial to Dad's life on Sunday last weekend.  In my opinion, it went very well, and it was great to see so many people from different walks of life in attendance.

We would also like to thank each and every member of RMWeb who has left supportive comments on this forum, and those modellers who have sent messages by other means.  It is truly appreciated by my mother, myself and my grandmother (Geoff's 93 yr old mother).

Thank you all,

Mary, Tim + Margaret Brewin

• 2 weeks later...

Mary and Tim Brewin would again like to thank all customers of Comet Models, who will have been affected by the current situation – either through delays in order fulfilment, or by non-availability of products – for their patience at this time.  Mary and Tim also wish to extend their heartfelt thanks to all those who have sent messages of sympathy, support and condolence following the sad loss of Geoff.

Whilst both Mary and Tim remain shocked and saddened following the speed of Geoff’s illness and decline, they recognise that it is important for the Comet Models name to continue “after Geoff”.  Therefore, it is no secret that the business is for sale.

It is understandable and expected that this has caused considerable uncertainty and disquiet among customers around the future of the business, and the products in the range.  It has also been heartening to receive messages of appreciation for the quality and availability of the product range.

It is now time to dispel some of that disquiet – we would like to make it known that a prospective purchaser for the business has been found, and negotiations are underway, and agreement to purchase exists in principle and subject to contract.

It is hoped by both parties that negotiations will be concluded swiftly, to enable a speedy announcement of the formal transfer to be made to both the public and the trade.

For Mary and Tim, and no doubt many others in the modelling fraternity, it is good to know that the Comet Models name will continue as a legacy both to Geoff, but also to Malcolm Bowers and Steve Woof, and as testament to the unstinting efforts of the three surviving founders, Jeff and Ann Ayers and Alan Buckenham.

We would like to conclude by thanking all Comet Models customers past and present for their support and loyalty, and would like to wish the business every success in the future under new ownership.

Mary and Tim Brewin would again like to thank all customers of Comet Models, who will have been affected by the current situation – either through delays in order fulfilment, or by non-availability of products – for their patience at this time.  Mary and Tim also wish to extend their heartfelt thanks to all those who have sent messages of sympathy, support and condolence following the sad loss of Geoff.

Whilst both Mary and Tim remain shocked and saddened following the speed of Geoff’s illness and decline, they recognise that it is important for the Comet Models name to continue “after Geoff”.  Therefore, it is no secret that the business is for sale.

It is understandable and expected that this has caused considerable uncertainty and disquiet among customers around the future of the business, and the products in the range.  It has also been heartening to receive messages of appreciation for the quality and availability of the product range.

It is now time to dispel some of that disquiet – we would like to make it known that a prospective purchaser for the business has been found, and negotiations are underway, and agreement to purchase exists in principle and subject to contract.

It is hoped by both parties that negotiations will be concluded swiftly, to enable a speedy announcement of the formal transfer to be made to both the public and the trade.

For Mary and Tim, and no doubt many others in the modelling fraternity, it is good to know that the Comet Models name will continue as a legacy both to Geoff, but also to Malcolm Bowers and Steve Woof, and as testament to the unstinting efforts of the three surviving founders, Jeff and Ann Ayers and Alan Buckenham.

We would like to conclude by thanking all Comet Models customers past and present for their support and loyalty, and would like to wish the business every success in the future under new ownership.

I well remember those Sunday afternoons in the late 1980's spent by Steve and myself pasting up artwork for the many coach types which formed the early basis of the range. With three successive partners having died well before their time it would have been a tragedy to watch the business founder. This is heartening news indeed, and we can only hope the sale and transfer goes smoothly.

If the new owner has queries we stand ready to help.

Tim,

Personally I think it is great that you are keeping customers abreast of what is happening with the business.....even more so at this time.

At least from a customers point of view your family are not leaving us in limbo, and from me this is much appreciated and I should imagine also from all the other customers around the world!

Hope all goes well for everyone involved!

Khris

• RMweb Premium

I would also like to express my thanks for your continuing messages and information

of your continued efforts to ensure the Comet brand remains available to the modelling

fraternity and as a legacy of Geoffs hard work .

This is more so given the impact that the recent loss of Geoff will have had on your personal

lives .

Kind Regards to Mary and Tim .

• RMweb Premium

Great news.

The Comet range of kits and bits is one that would leave a big hole in the hobby if it vanished.

I have already had a couple of times in the last few weeks where I have heard myself saying to people "If you want one of those, try Comet"

Here's to the future of Comet, with grateful thanks and appreciation to those who have built it up over the years.

Tony

I am hearted to read the news, and thanks, Tim, for keeping us abreast of the latest situation.

In all honesty, it doesn't come as a complete surprise that you're acting the way you are; customer service always was one of Geoff's strong points, and it seems to me that you are just maintaining the tradition.

Best wishes

Phil

Many thanks for the information from me too!

Too many good suppliers have disappeared without a trace over the years; I do hope all continues to go well with the negotiations. Take your time and only sign when ready!

The downside of that is that the longer these products are off the market the more difficult it will to re-establish the brand.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

The downside of that is that the longer these products are off the market the more difficult it will to re-establish the brand.

Regards

I don't it will be too difficult. Under the circumstances I think most people completely understand the situation and are (I for one) happy to wait for the change over.

Comet bits are worth waiting for - besides there isn't really an alternative manufacturer who has the sheer range of products.

Kind regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

I don't it will be too difficult. Under the circumstances I think most people completely understand the situation

I agree. I think most customers will be aware of the situation and the gap is probably not long enough for another manufacturer to jump in there.

Regards

Well I'll be doing my bit to help re-establish the brand, I was about to order a few chassis kits when Geoff announced that the business would be temporarily closed as per the start of this thread. When it re-opened I decided to hold off ordering to give Geoff chance to work through the backlog, and the rest as we all know is very sad history.

I did manage to grab a couple of the kits I was after courtesy of Mainly Trains, but from my own horribly selfish viewpoint it's been a nervy couple of months (absolutely nothing, of course, compared to what Geoff's family and friends have been through), so I'm looking forward to dealing with someone who, I trust, will continue the business in a way that will do Geoff and everyone else formerly associated with it proud.

Onwards and upwards! :)

One of the biggest problems with ranges changing hands is when they get incorporated into another range as they get forgotten about. I don't think it will happen with this range.

New owners especially when incorporating a brand into their own range should advertise more, which is much easier now with the internet and search engines. Dart Castings are a good example of this practice

Of old how many punters realised NuCast took over the Kayser locos and other brands. Where as Wheeltapers (PC coach kits) and Southeastern Finecast (Wills) were both well known for continuing the ranges as they advertised

One of the biggest problems with ranges changing hands is when they get incorporated into another range as they get forgotten about. I don't think it will hope it won't happen with this range.....

I think that would be a bit more accurate. Just hope it doesn't fall "into the wrong hands"..... :O  

Horsetan

Owing to the size of the range, quality of producst and goodwill of the name one would have thought anyone with the money to buy this company would want to retain its atributes.

True, but history is also littered with good or useful ranges that simply disappeared into other "empires", never to re-emerge.

Comet has a very good extruded ali roof. The old PC Models LMS/LNWR roof that became known under other brand names in later days has disappeared. Wheeltappers had the tool along with those for extruding three variants of LSWR roof and the LNWR Cove roof so I wonder what happened to them. I believe that for one of the tools to be used for extruding, one has to purchase a minimum of a ¼ - mile of roof! My one hope is the new owner of Comet continues to have his buffers and dynamos etc cast in pewter.

Following our previous statement, Mary and Tim Brewin are pleased to announce that negotiations to sell Comet Models have been successfully concluded.

Comet Models has a long tradition of quality and detail, and it was important for us to ensure that the new owner is in a position to continue the Comet Models range in these traditions.  Therefore, we are happy to announce that Comet Models has been sold to Andrew Hartshorne of Wizard Models, another company with a reputation for quality and detail.

The transfer is planned to take place over the weekend of the 5th - 7th December inclusive, and Andrew hopes to open for trade on Monday December 8th.  From December 8th onwards, all orders for Comet products should be directed to Wizard Models (contact details below), and payments from this date forwards should be made payable to Wizard Models.

Mary and Tim would like to conclude by wishing Andrew every success with Comet Models in the future, and by thanking every Comet customer over the years for their support, loyalty and (particularly in the last few weeks and months) kindness.

Wizard Models

PO Box 70

Barton upon Humber

DN18 5XY

Telephone: 01652 635885

E-mail: andrew@modelsignals.com

Archived