Comet Models

artisan100

• RMweb Premium

All this talk of different Browsers!

I know of a web site (not railway related but fairly important) that will only run properly on IE!

I have pointed this out to the operators and get the impression that they still think nearly everyone uses IE and I am a just moaning minority.

I use Firefox.

Some people will not update their services.

Keith

I'm not sure what you are trying to say there. Are you suggesting that small suppliers pay somebody to keep up with retrograde updates that stop things from working, or are you suggesting that the developers of software should take legacy systems into account?

Don't get cross if you don't know the history! As Kris says, this specific problem goes back to well before OSX 10.9 and has little to do with new or old systems as they stand at today's date. 

What I do believe, however, is that when small suppliers - or anyone else for that matter - pay web designers to design a web site for them, I expect those designers (who ought to know what they are talking about) to make their design compatible with all browsers in current use. I know from experience that they too often do not.

Andrew is well aware of this problem. Furthermore, this is way off topic … so end of discussion for me!

• RMweb Premium

I have always found Andrew most helpful dealing with enquiries by email or telephone. I am no expert but I can imagine that getting a website to work with all the different browsers particularly when people choose to use unusual combinations of versions of software must take up quite a lot of time and/or finance if you are paying somebody else to do it.

Maybe the time and cost involved (for what is pretty much a one man outfit with a huge range of products to deal with) in upgrading the website would not be covered by extra revenue from orders from the people who choose to use more obscure browsers.

The work involved in making the website work with all versions of all browsers may not be justified especially when people can still order parts quite easily if they choose to do so by other means.

I wouldn't want anybody reading these posts and thinking that it is difficult to get stuff from Andrew. It isn't!

He is as good as anybody at dealing with enquiries and orders.

Tony 

• RMweb Premium

I am going to ask Andy to consider locking this particular 'Comet Models' thread out of respect for Geoff (thanks PGC for the prompt).

I think then we could have a new Wizard Comet thread to discuss up to date issues.

Thank you.

Phil Ramsay (ex Comet Models 'sleeping associate') 

While this is hardly the thread to talk about software, just to put things straight: I am told that the latest Safari version only works with Yosemite (and perhaps Mavericks, but I don't know). Neither Mavericks nor Yosemite has received universally good write-ups, so I'm sticking with OSX 10.8. With the Safari that goes with that, Wizard's ordering does not work. Firefox and Safari together eventually clash and freeze the system (rare for a Mac, but true) and I'm not binning Safari just because one supplier's web site does not work properly!

Anyway, I send an e-mail or do what Sidecar Racer suggests… but given what 21st century technology is supposed to do for us and for commerce, it seems a bit of a backward step!

:laugh:

What, Apple products aren't perfect? Someone has been misleading me.

p.s. 21st Century technology is only supposed to work to the financial benefit of the producer.

Archived