Bachmann NRM/Locomotionmodels.com - GNR Ivatt C1

• 1 month later...

Great, thanks. I'm in the USA, I know you can charge without VAT, but if I order paying the full price is shipping still free?

Thanks again and happy new year!

Great, thanks. I'm in the USA, I know you can charge without VAT, but if I order paying the full price is shipping still free?

Thanks again and happy new year!

If you buy with vat deducted and then add postage it works out nearly the same as full price without postage. Shipping overseas , unfortunately, is payable but there is very little difference. As for locomotionmodels we would like you to have vat deducted and then add postage.

Cheers

Guest spet0114

We have pictures now of the LNER version. Please remember its the sample and not the finished one but it looks sweet!

http://www.locomotionmodels.com/british-model-railways/oo-gauge-4mm/nrm-exclusive-editions-and-collection/bachmannnrm-exclusive-ivatt-c1-atlantic-lner-apple-green-deposit.htm

Yowzers! That looks fantastic. :) Edited by spet0114
  • Like 1

That is looking very nice. The only thing that perhaps could do with a slight tweak are the boiler bands. Rather too much white and not enough black methinks.

LNER green was always a difficult one as even the finest of white lining can look garish. The model shown is only a 'sample' so there is hope.

Edited by coachmann

LNER green was always a difficult one as even the finest of white lining can look garish...

Further to which I am too young to have seen this livery as applied by the LNER. But there are plenty of good contemporary colour photographs of the livery, including an excellent one of a large Atlantic (marred only by the paraffin can and cleaning rags on view) and that white lining fairly 'pops' out of the image.The white/black/white really was a 'Zebra stripe' against the bright green.

One of the happy aspects of the LNER green loco livery, is its link back to the earliest practises in railway loco livery. They walloped on bright, bright body colours with contrasting lining, to advertise this revolutionary new machine. Subtle wasn't much in vogue in the first half of C19th.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the picture Sandra.

It may be too late and it isn't a big deal but it would be nice to see slightly less coal.  So many tenders seem to be newly filled and some variation would be good.  I know there are sometimes structural reasons for this in that there is something in the tender that needs to be hidden but I don't imagine that to be the case with this model.

Looks lovely though.  Looking forward to mine arriving.

LNER green was always a difficult one as even the finest of white lining can look garish. The model shown is only a 'sample' so there is hope.

Further to which I am too young to have seen this livery as applied by the LNER. But there are plenty of good contemporary colour photographs of the livery, including an excellent one of a large Atlantic (marred only by the paraffin can and cleaning rags on view) and that white lining fairly 'pops' out of the image.The white/black/white really was a 'Zebra stripe' against the bright green.

One of the happy aspects of the LNER green loco livery, is its link back to the earliest practises in railway loco livery. They walloped on bright, bright body colours with contrasting lining, to advertise this revolutionary new machine. Subtle wasn't much in vogue in the first half of C19th.

As a lifetime applyer of railway liveries, I disagree. Colour coordination is nothing new and those old liveries were well thought out and quite subtle in most instances. Try mixing any railway colour and you will find that black has to be added at some point.  Locomotive liveries were never in the same league as fairground engines (for example). I have forgotten the width of white lining on LNER livery but it is fine. Nevertheless It stands out far more than its actual being in photographs. Getting it fine in 4mm scale is not easy and so it tends to overpower the green.

Edited by coachmann

I would assume that , being a Bachmann product, the moulded coal is removable, so could be replaced with real coal to your own quantity requirements.

The LNER livery sample looks superb. Really looking forward to adding one of these to my stable of locos.

• RMweb Gold

The white does seem rather prominent on the boiler bands on the website picture - much more so than on the D11 Marne in lined LNER green  livery recently produced for Model Rail by Bachmann.

Fingers crossed that when the C1 appears the finish will be very similar to the finish on Marne....... 'cos I like the idea of a matched C1 and D11 doubleheading a train of Pullmans :yes:  :imsohappy: .

Hat, coat and all that :thankyou:

Keith

• RMweb Premium

The LNER painting specification doesn't quote the actual width of the black part of the boiler band lining as it was whatever width the band was. The quoted widths for other lining is 2" for the black with 3/16th" white either side in most places. So the white lines should be tiny in comparison to the black.

As Coachmann rightly says, the white shows up far more than the actual line widths would suggest and it isn't easy to get it right on a model.

Looking at prototype photos, to my eye the white and black look quite balanced (despite the greater amount of black) with neither really overpowering the other. On many models, the white is far too prominent.

Tony

Glad you like the look of the LNER version so far!!

Thanks for all your extremely helpful and also supportive comments some of which we have already picked up on, like the boiler lining, and are looking to see if Bachmann can strengthen the black line which is the issue rather than the width of the overall boiler band.

The coal load on all models is removable and this one won't be any different.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if there are any more constructive comments before reporting back!

Cheers

• Like 3

Don't know if this was asked earlier, but if you upgrade your BR Atlantic to a weathered version, how does that and the original order get matched up? It's just that never did the site get me to confirm the original order

I match the orders up. ( I think I have replied to your message already). I know who bought what and when and it's all noted if you change an order or address or card details. If you need further confirmation of orders or have any other questions, send me a message here or email queries@locomotionmodels.com and I will reply as soon as possible.