Re-mapping functions on a Zimo MX644D

bigal10

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I have ECoS 50200 and run an all DCC layout.

I bought a Heljan class 128 last Saturday, and initially fitted a Lenz Silver+ decoder to test and run-in the MPV, and I could only get cab at end 1 to light up on function 3, but not end 2 on any function.

(As yet Howes couldn't tell me if the cab-lighting is separate or both at once,) but as I was waiting for a new Zimo 644D I thought I'd see what happened when that was installed, which I have just done today, - great sound, thanks as ever to Paulie and the guys at Digitrains.

Now I have no cab lights, and cannot for the life of me find my notes from an earlier install, or remember how to re-map the cab-lights on functions 2 and 3 to (say) buttons 3 and 7 on the ECoS.

Any help greatfully received,

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Hi Allan,

The re-mapping should be done on the decoder, which will then operate in the same way whatever DCC system is used.

Can you tell me which sound project is on the decoder, please? Is it the Multi-Drive with manual notching/gearchange or the DigiDrive version? I can then give you some cvs and values, but I've no idea if the cab lights are 'direction dependent'.

If anyone knows, and particularly if it is known which FOs are connected to the cab lights, I would be grateful of the info to speed things up a bit by removing some guesswork.

Will you also confirm the value in CV61, please?

I might be useful to confirm that any contacts which may have been disturbed when you removed the body are actually providing power to the cab lights. Sorry if that sounds obvious, but I don't know this model's electrical layout.

What happned with the Lenz when you changed direction of travel? And with the ZIMO?

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

thanks for the swift reply!

1) The sound project is the DigiDrive version

2) I don't know which actual FOs are connected to cab lights, but see 5) below - also Howes said they would ask Heljan re: separate or both at once

I suspect NOT directional!

3) The value of CV 61 = 97 (as delivered, I haven't altered anything yet)

4) All contacts seem OK, the MB must be a new one by Heljan, is quite small, with miniature plugs for connections. - and here's a first for Heljan, all LED lights, so you can actually see them when the body is replaced !  Woo-Hoo!

5) When I first used the Lenz, via a 21-8 converter, the marker lights worked properly, ie: white front, red rear, and changed with direction, also the cab at end 1 came on/off with F3, (non directional) but I could not get cab at end 2 to work at all,

Obviously, and as Howes suggested, end 2 might be faulty, so a return to the dealer may be in order, but I thought I'd see what happened with the new MX644D.

As I am using your DMU soundfile in a Motorised Parcels Van, I don't need all (the wonderful) 'passenger' sounds, so I would like to use one of the 16 visible functions on the ECoS for Cab Lights, say, 13 or 14 or similar.

Which reminds me, - when, oh when, are ESU going to 'extend' the range of icons for the ECoS, or better yet allow user graphics? - Unfortunately all your 2-tone horns look the same, and your guard-buzzers...........

Thanks again for any assistance, and this time i'll keep any notes for future reference!

Regards,

Alan

Hi Allan,

Ok, thanks for the detail. Check that the push-on connectors have a good electrical connection, these are my first port of call whenI see them in a loco. Nothing beats a good soldered joint for reliable electricery.

The reason the Lenz operated at least one cab light is that it is probably set up as standard NMRA. (why would it not be, it does'nt have the 10 FOs that your ZIMO decoder has onboard)

CV61 = 97 on the ZIMO however, puts the NMRA mapping aside and the decoder uses ZIMO Extended Mapping. I prefer this as it allows greater flexibility of FO assignments to F keys.

Since we don't know for sure (though the Lenz results give an indication) which FO (FOs) operate the cab lights, we need to try out the possibilities.

This is all CV value changing using POM so will not take long. However, there is an added complication if you want to assign cab lights to an F key above F12. If you need to, I'll help, but for now work on F12 to determine the correct FO and at least get some thing lit up!

CV 46 controls what happens when F 12 is operated. You will need to enter a series of values into CV46 and observe what happens. Don't forget to use the direction change button during each test, just in case the cab lights are separate.

Try these values in succession:

4, 8, 12, 16, 24 and 32.

This will cover FOs 1-4 and in combination in case they are separately wired.

One of them should give you a cab light at the end you had working before.

If non of these give both cab lights, either separately or at the same time, suspect a fault with the model/wiring.

Let me know what you discover, and I can give you options on a trick or two to make cab light operation more convenient.

Kind regards,

Paul

5) When I first used the Lenz, via a 21-8 converter, the marker lights worked properly, ie: white front, red rear, and changed with direction, also the cab at end 1 came on/off with F3, (non directional) but I could not get cab at end 2 to work at all,

Obviously, and as Howes suggested, end 2 might be faulty, so a return to the dealer may be in order, but I thought I'd see what happened with the new MX644D.

A 8-pin decoder connecting plug/socket has at most three function outputs through the eight pin connector.  So using the 8 pin connector, you can only control three unique lights. Typically these would be Front headlamp (typically with paired rear red), Rear headlamp (typically with paired front red) and one other (in this case Cab light). This is what you have demonstrated with the Lenz 8-pin decoder. The second Cab requires another connecting wire. So, the Lenz decoder is behaving correctly, and you have no information on whether the 2nd cab light operates or not.  Directional control of lights is a feature of a decoder, some have more flexibility in this than others (Zimo has lots of flexibility).

A 21pin socket has ten function connections (eight standard voltage plus two additional at logic level) compared to three provided on an 8-pin.   So, experimentation with a 21 pin decoder with adequate number of function outputs (such as a Zimo, though others have the necessary number of outputs) should show whether the second cab light is working.

(edited to clarify that I meant "8 pin connector".  Those who are willing to solder wires onto decoders may be able to add wires to increase the functions outputs from the three provided through an 8-pin connector. ).

- Nigel

A 8-pin decoder has at most three function outputs, so you can only control three unique lights. Typically these would be Front headlamp (typically with paired rear red), Rear headlamp (typically with paired front red) and one other (in this case Cab light). This is what you have demonstrated with the Lenz 8-pin decoder. The second Cab requires another connecting wire. So, the Lenz decoder is behaving correctly, and you have no information on whether the 2nd cab light operates or not.  Directional control of lights is a feature of a decoder, some have more flexibility in this than others (Zimo has lots of flexibility).

A 21pin socket has ten function connections (eight standard voltage plus two additional at logic level) compared to three provided on an 8-pin.   So, experimentation with a 21 pin decoder with adequate number of function outputs (such as a Zimo, though others have the necessary number of outputs) should show whether the second cab light is working.

- Nigel

Nigel

What you have said in your first sentence is slightly misleading.

The ZIMO 645R is an 8-pin decoder and has 10 full power FOs. Granted, the 8 pin arrangement only allows three FOs and a common positive to be connected  via that interface, but in no way restricts the number of FOs available, that is determoned by the decoder manufacturer. Some are generous, ZIMO has 10, others less so, ESU for example has at least 4 fewer. In this particular scenario, still adequate, of course.

Also, the second cab light would only need another connecting wire if it is designed to operate with a separate FO. If that is not Heljan's design (and goodness knows how long we might have to wait for an answer from Heljan), then the Lenz will have revealed that one cab light is not functional, unless the Lenz has been set up to provide direction dependence on that particular FO.

Otherwise it is a useful analysis of where Allan was with the Lenz. He has since moved on to something better suited to his needs.

Your second paragraph endorses what I said, thank you.

If Allan follows the CV values I have suggested, he will discover whether or not each cab light is separately wired. (providing there is no fault with the model). When we know that, I or anyone else with the (public domain) info, can advise Allan regarding direction dependency, auto shut-off on movement, how many F keys will be required to operate his cab lights, (Non, one or two?) and how to map them. Plus consideration of soft start and ZIMO Swiss Mapping if higher F keys are required.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited for typo

Hi Paul,

Great news, just done the test as you suggested (on prog track, though, not POM, couldn't get that to work)

All lights work !!!!

Results are:

CV46 = 4 - CAB 1 lit when loco in Reverse

CV46 = 8 - CAB 2 lit when loco in Forward

CV46 = 12 - CAB 1 lit when Loco in Reverse, CAB 2 lit when loco in Forward

CV46 = 16 - No Cab Lights

CV46 = 24 - (like = 8 ) CAB 2 lit when loco in Forward

CV46 = 32 - (like = 16) No Cab lights

All marker lights as normal in all the above cases.

(test done under adverse conditions, my loft is worse than a greenhouse, no ventilation, knew I should have installed a couple of Velux windows BEFORE I built the layout !)

So off to cool down with a foaming Pivo (or 2)

Thanks for the help so far, I would love to explore further, with auto shut-off on movement etc..

Regards

Alan  (ps only one L)

Edited for strange emoticons on 8 plus bracket = 8)

Sorry Alan - the other L is for Learner ha ha

Hi Paul,

Great news, just done the test as you suggested (on prog track, though, not POM, couldn't get that to work)

All lights work !!!!

Results are:

CV46 = 4 - CAB 1 lit when loco in Reverse

CV46 = 8 - CAB 2 lit when loco in Forward

CV46 = 12 - CAB 1 lit when Loco in Reverse, CAB 2 lit when loco in Forward

CV46 = 16 - No Cab Lights

CV46 = 24 - (like = 8 ) CAB 2 lit when loco in Forward

CV46 = 32 - (like = 16) No Cab lights

All marker lights as normal in all the above cases.

(test done under adverse conditions, my loft is worse than a greenhouse, no ventilation, knew I should have installed a couple of Velux windows BEFORE I built the layout !)

So off to cool down with a foaming Pivo (or 2)

Thanks for the help so far, I would love to explore further, with auto shut-off on movement etc..

Regards

Alan  (ps only one L)

Edited for strange emoticons on 8 plus bracket = 8)

CV46 = 12 means that both FO1 (value 4) and FO2 (value 8 ) are assigned to the same F key (F12 at the moment). So only One F Key used.

If I understand correctly, the cab lights are illuminating at the 'wrong' ends in respect of direction of travel. Is that correct?

Assuming it is, you now need to change the characteristics of FO1 and FO2. This is done with CV127 and CV128 respectively.

The value you enter is calculated from the Bit numbers relating to the characteristic(s) you wish to add or remove. ( if that made you wince, don't worry, read on.....)

For your immediate purposes, to get the cab lights operating at the correct ends, the simplest thing would be to read the current values of CVs127 and 128 and reverse them. i.e. if 127 reads as 1 and 128 reads as 2, write 2 to CV127 and 1 to CV128.

If that achieves the desired result, you can add 60 to the value of each, making 61 or 62. This tells the FO to switch off if speed step > 0 is detected, and the lights will automatically extinguish when you drive off, and provided F12 is still engaged, will automatically illuminate when stopped.

You can prevent the cab lights coming on by disengaging F12, which is the 'master' switch if you like.

This automation can be used to allow you to avoid using any Fkey specifically for cab lights at all (no F key mapping needed, F key 'freed up').

This is done by leaving CVs 127 and 128 in their correct configuration as above, but remapping the cab lights to the same key as the exterior markers, usually F key 0.

This would mean that if the exterior lamps are off, then so will the cablights be off.

If the markers are 'on' and the unit is stationary, the appropriate end cab light will illuminate too, but the cab light will extinguish automatically when the loco moves then come on again when stopped.

If you want to try this out:

Add 12 to each of CV33 and CV34

E.G.
CV33 = 13
CV34 = 14
If the markers are now lit at the 'wrong' ends, swap the values of CVs 33 and 34

CV46 = 0

Good luck,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Another day, another few steps forward!

You were correct, the cab-lights were operating 'the wrong way round', so I changed CV127 from 2 to 1, and CV128 from 1 to 2, this then made cab-lights show directionally in conjunction with markers, I then added 60 to each value, and hey-presto they extinguish when speed step > 0

Brilliant, just what I wanted, thanks.

However, (and this is not a big problem) when I power the loco down, (lovely ticking noises by the way!), and then turn the marker lights off on F0, they do not turn off, until I operate 2 x change direction actions!

Also the reverse of that happens, at startup, pressing F0 has no effect, until I do 2 x change direction actions.

I assume this is a combination of CV settings to get this right.?

Oddly enough I have exactly the same situation with a Bachmann Class 46, which has an LS4 (unfortunately Digitrains only do a sell-on of SWD's sounds), can't wait for your version (crawl-crawl)!

Anyhow, spurred on by the success I'd like to use the same principles to my Dapol 22, my Dapol 52 and my Bachmann 40, all of which are on Zimo 644D's

Oddly, the cab-lights on the Dapol 52 are both on F8, but are directional, whereas on the Dapol 22 it's cab1 on F8 and Cab2 on F9.

And then, of course Barwell do things their own way, their class 40, also Z644D, has both cabs on F8, non-directional!

So am I right in assuming a play about with CV's 127 & 128 according to Zimo's instruction manual page 75, in all 3 above cases (ignoring the LS4 obviously) should achieve the same results (also assuming I check the settting of CV61 = 97)

I'm trying to get the hang of CV's and find the manuals pretty good, except for the fact that I have neither degrees in Particle Physics, Astro Physics, or even Extremely Complex Mathematics, as obviously all persons of German origin do, so I have some help from my nephew-in-law who is one of those in the last category! - ha-ha!

But seriously, how are us mere mortals supposed to know the bits like adding 60 to CV127 + 128 will auto turn off,.......

Oh hang on, I've just found Page 33, paragraph 3.22 in Zimo's manual!

Any further suggestions gratefully received,

Regards,

Alan.

Hi Paul,

Another day, another few steps forward!

You were correct, the cab-lights were operating 'the wrong way round', so I changed CV127 from 2 to 1, and CV128 from 1 to 2, this then made cab-lights show directionally in conjunction with markers, I then added 60 to each value, and hey-presto they extinguish when speed step > 0

Brilliant, just what I wanted, thanks.

However, (and this is not a big problem) when I power the loco down, (lovely ticking noises by the way!), and then turn the marker lights off on F0, they do not turn off, until I operate 2 x change direction actions!

Also the reverse of that happens, at startup, pressing F0 has no effect, until I do 2 x change direction actions.

I assume this is a combination of CV settings to get this right.?

Oddly enough I have exactly the same situation with a Bachmann Class 46, which has an LS4 (unfortunately Digitrains only do a sell-on of SWD's sounds), can't wait for your version (crawl-crawl)!

Anyhow, spurred on by the success I'd like to use the same principles to my Dapol 22, my Dapol 52 and my Bachmann 40, all of which are on Zimo 644D's

Oddly, the cab-lights on the Dapol 52 are both on F8, but are directional, whereas on the Dapol 22 it's cab1 on F8 and Cab2 on F9.

And then, of course Barwell do things their own way, their class 40, also Z644D, has both cabs on F8, non-directional!

So am I right in assuming a play about with CV's 127 & 128 according to Zimo's instruction manual page 75, in all 3 above cases (ignoring the LS4 obviously) should achieve the same results (also assuming I check the settting of CV61 = 97)

I'm trying to get the hang of CV's and find the manuals pretty good, except for the fact that I have neither degrees in Particle Physics, Astro Physics, or even Extremely Complex Mathematics, as obviously all persons of German origin do, so I have some help from my nephew-in-law who is one of those in the last category! - ha-ha!

But seriously, how are us mere mortals supposed to know the bits like adding 60 to CV127 + 128 will auto turn off,.......

Oh hang on, I've just found Page 33, paragraph 3.22 in Zimo's manual!

Any further suggestions gratefully received,

Regards,

Alan.

Alan,

Almost everything about CVs that you are likely to need is covered in the manual. The latest version even groups together the CVs needed to produce a desired effect - look up smoke generation and you'll see what I mean.

However, this is a decoder manual, not an insight into particular sound projects, so you need to apply the knowledge gleaned from the manual, to what the decoder is doing.

For example, without knowing about CV61 = 97 and Zimo Extended Mapping, reading this CV would probably not have occured to you nor would it have held any significance if you had. 

For the record, all my sound projects have CV61 = 97, and all Cvs from 35 to 48 set at zero, unless a function is assigned. In which case the appropriate values are added.

Unfortunately, simply transcribing the CV values from this project to anothe ZIMO project is not guaranteed to succeed - it will depend on individual sound projects, and if there are enough/ the same F keys free.

It's impossible to know what every potential ZIIMO user wants their loco to do, some aren't bothered  about light at all, others want the full monty. I generally set the projects to the CVs and values I have used in the test-bed model. So Heljan Class 26 does not have cab lights, so originally I did not assign an F key to cab lights (though I might have atered this by now, can't remember off hand).

But one thing is for sure, if the reds are not separately wired from the whites, or each cab light is individually wired to the decoder, no amount of CV juggling will get them to work individually. Until manufacturers catch on to the prototypical lighting possible with DCC and design these features in, we will have to resort to ripping out or modifying what they do supply and making good ourselves.

As regards the operation of the lights, there is nothing on the decoder which would cause this effect, and neither has anyone else reported  such a problem. Is this just after you have programmed the changes? Or does it continue each time you use the loco?

If the former, and you are using Service Mode programming, it's not unusual to have to toggle F key 0 (E.G.) if it was 'on' when the programming took place. This is to cancel F0 on the controller, then reapply it to the decoder by pressing again. Is this what you are describing?

Other than that, try the ECoS operators manual. Maybe it's the way ECoS sends the DCC commands. Frankly, I've no idea, but it's not a normal function of the decoder or that particular sound project, sorry. If it's not broken, I cant help you fix it.

The fact that the same thing happens with Lok V4 suggests that it is the way you have the ECoS set up or the way you are operating it, or both rather than the decoders.

The 52 is to my usual set up, both on one key (I have lots of sounds to put on F keys so can't waste them with duplication).

The 22 is not one of my projects, so different criteria may apply.

Class 40. You will have to modify Bachmann's wiring to stand a chance at automatically direction-dependant cab lights

Class 46 on a ZIMO? Hang on in there, you just might be lucky.......

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Sorry for not replying sooner, had an enforced 'layoff' for family matters.

With regard to the lighting issue on F0, the situation remains permanently since programming, ie: when I start the ECoS, with all locos in totally off situations, and want to use the Class 128, if I press F0, nothing happens, then I have to do 2 x direction changes with the 4-way toggle, and the markers come on in the correct directions, and then operate properly for the whole session, including the cab lights now being in synch with the direction markers, and extinguishing automatically when speed increases above 0 ( the cab-lights only, that is, I like the markers being on at both ends all the time, - I'm funny like that, but I like to see which way my locos are set to run all the time !)

I hope you don't mind, if I post a thread on DCC lighting and see if anyone shed any light on the subject? (actually, pun intended!)

By the way, since installing the 644D, the 128 has run a tad jerkily, so looked at CV 56 and out of the box it was set at 91, so I followed the suggestion on page 17 of the Kliene Decoder Manual and set it at 55, and so far alles in ordnung !

I wish you wouldn't tempt us with other items, what's the likely release date of the Class 46 on Zimo?

Regards,

Alan (still one L)

Alan,

I don't see a problem with a new thread, but please remember to include the fact that you also have an ESU decoder which does the same. I don't think this is a decoder issue, per se, but a communication problem with the ECoS.

I've not experienced this issue, so I would also like to get the answer. As far as ECoS goes, I'm one of your 'mere mortals'.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I must apologise, I have just discovered that I did not have RailCom activated on the 644D, I have subsequently set CV 29 to Bit3 on and Hey-Presto you can see all manner of things happening in real-time on the main track!

However, I still have my odd situation with F0 and lights not operating until 2 x direction changes (also still on the Class 46 / LS4)

So I was wondering should I do a hard reset on the 644 by CV8 = 8 and then after re-assigning the loco to it's new address, go through the CV settings for 46 = 12 and 127 and 128 as previously, but this time on the Main?

I'm also going to post a query re the ECoS settings on the ESU ECoS forum.

Regards,

Alan

Alan,

Frankly, I'd do a reset of the ECoS first (I assume this is possible) 'cause that's where I think the prolem lies. Two different brands of decoder with the same problem is too much of a coincidence, whereas the ECoS (and you) is the common denominator, so needs tobe eliminated as the cause.

Paukl

Hi Paul, and all,

I have some satisfactory news to report !

(and a salutary warning :no:  )

I did a reset on the ECoS, and as the manual is a bit like the bomb-disposal manual, "Cut the Blue Wire, but first cut the Red Wire"....

I first of all got back to the initial start-up screen (only in German until you reset to English) which is completely blank and without any settings, or locos or accessories, ....

And then I read on a bit in the manual, to where it says "first, save a copy of your current configuration settings"

After a couple of nail-biting minutes, I remembered I had last done this in April, when I installed ver 4.0.0 of the firmware!!

So, I reloaded that config, and other than a couple of new locos since then, and some automatic routes on S88 detectors, the whole thing is back !

However, that did not cure the problem of marker lights on the 2 locos as we discussed earlier.

So I had another 'sitting on the bog' moment and decided on a decoder reset.

I reset CV 8 = 8, checked the lights on F0 and they were back as they should be, so..

I set CV29 to bit3 = on, and moved the Class 128 MPV onto the Main, and went through the settings discussed in the posts above, one at a time, checking the operation of F0 at every CV change and all is still OK.

So I am now back to as I would expect the 128 to work, markers, change with direction, cab-lights in the correct ends with direction, and they extinguish when the train moves off...

Thanks again Paul for your assistance, and I really look forward to that Class 46 on Zimo !

Think I'd better amend the ECoS forum posting and tell them it's not their fault, probably mine for not setting the RailCom in the first place!

However... I've yet to tackle the Bachmann 46 with LS4, wonder what effect a decoder reset will have on that?

Regards,

Alan

• 1 month later...

I have just purchased the Zimo MX644D class 47 sound decoder from Rail Exclusives. Fantastic decoder but, as I use a Prodigy Express with 16 functions, I can't use some if the functions that I would like. How easy is it to remap functions so that I can choose the sounds that I would want for some of the functions? Is this something that I can do with my Progidy Express?

Any help much appreciated.

I have just purchased the Zimo MX644D class 47 sound decoder from Rail Exclusives. Fantastic decoder but, as I use a Prodigy Express with 16 functions, I can't use some if the functions that I would like. How easy is it to remap functions so that I can choose the sounds that I would want for some of the functions? Is this something that I can do with my Progidy Express?

Any help much appreciated.

Sorry to sound pedantic, but do you mean remapping sounds or remapping functions?

If you tell us what you want to achieve, it will be easier to advise you.

Kind regards,

Paul

Paul

Many thanks for responding so quickly. I want to map existing sounds to different functions.

Specifically, I want to map the Spirax drain valves popping from F18 to F15 and the Scavenger fans from F15 to F18.

Given my limited number of functions with the Prodigy Express, I want the Spirax drain valves popping more than I want the Scavenger fans!

Andrew

Andrew,

That will be possible, and should be straightforward using your Prodigy.

I don't know the Prodigy Express in any detail, so I cannot give precise intructions how to operate it and specifically how to programme with it. I can tell you what is required to remap the sounds.

A couple of important questions before we start.

1 ) Does the Express give access to CVs above CV255, and if so, is there an upper limit?

2 ) Which version of the RE Class 47 sounds do you have? This should be clear from the User Notes which will have accompanied the decoder.

Paul

Andrew,

Provided you can access these higher CVs directly, transposing these two sounds is a snip.

Enter these values:

CV418 = 15

and

CV415 = 18

Job done.

If you cannot programme high CVs, ZIMO provides a routine which overcomes the restriction, but does add a little to the complexity of the CVs required.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Paul

Andrew,

Provided you can access these higher CVs directly, transposing these two sounds is a snip.

Enter these values:

CV418 = 15

and

CV415 = 18

Job done.

If you cannot programme high CVs, ZIMO provides a routine which overcomes the restriction, but does add a little to the complexity of the CVs required.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul

Thanks for your help. I have rung Gaugemaster Technical Dept. and they have told me that I can programme CVs over 255.

However, I have just tried the changes that you have suggested to no avail.

Unfortunately, I cannot use the Prodigy Express to read the Zimo CVs so I don't know whether there is, in fact, a limit on CV values.

I wonder if any RMwebbers can provide more info to help.

Incidentally, I have the non ETH version of the Rail Exclusives decoder and have fitted it to a new Bachmann class 47 (47365 ' Diamond Jubilee')

Andrew

Andrew,

The CVs I gave earlier definitely work - I tried it on my own 47. Seems like whatever has happened, the decoder has not be reprogrammed.

You will not be able to read CVs using POM. The Prodigy Express has a programming track output so you will be able to read CVs via Service Mode Programming using that. 

In view of the fact that Gaugemaster have said you should be able to access high CVs, and no one has told you otherwise, I suggest you try again, paying particular attention to the Prodigy screen and the user manual.

If that still does not work, I'll post the other CVs you will need.

Paul

Paul

At our model railway club tonight, I had another go at remapping the functions and it didn't work. We double checked the PE instructions and were doing nothing wrong. My suspicion is that, in fact, PE doesn't support high value CVs.

One of our Club members is going to bring his controller as he is sure that this programmes high value CVs.

I will, therefore, have another go at club next week and will let you know the result.

Thank you so much for your help with this.

Andrew

Paul

At our model railway club tonight, I had another go at remapping the functions and it didn't work. We double checked the PE instructions and were doing nothing wrong. My suspicion is that, in fact, PE doesn't support high value CVs.

One of our Club members is going to bring his controller as he is sure that this programmes high value CVs.

I will, therefore, have another go at club next week and will let you know the result.

Thank you so much for your help with this.

Andrew

Andrew,

Here's the ZIMO method to get around restrictions imposed by some DCC controllers.

Note that there are three alternative values to use in CV7, depending upon just how high in the CV range your system can address.

Special procedures for DCC systems with limited CV range:

Configuration variables #266 to #500 are used for the selection and allocation of sound samples as well as other settings. Programming CV’s in this range is no problem for high-level systems (such as the current ZIMO DCC systems) both in "service mode" or "operations mode".

There are however many DCC systems in use (some still in production) that can only access CV’s up to #255 or even worse to #127 or CV #99.

For such applications, ZIMO decoders offer an alternative way of reaching higher CV’s via lower numbers. This is done with an initial "Pseudo-Programming" of

CV #7 = 110 or = 120 or = 130

which increases the CV numbers about to be accessed by 100, 200 or 300.

For example: If programming CV #266 = 45 is not possible, programming CV #7 = 110 followed by CV #166 = 45 executes the desired programming of CV #266 = 45

or

if neither CV #266 = 45 nor CV #166 = 45 is possible, programming CV #7 = 120 followed by CV #66 = 45 also leads to the result of CV #266 = 45.

The initial CV #7 – "Pseudo-Programming" state – remains active for further programming (which means CV #267 is entered as #167, CV #300 as #200 and so on) until the decoder is powered down. ATTENTION: After re-booting the system, the "Pseudo-Programming" is lost, that is programming CV #166 is indeed accessing CV #166 again. See below to prevent this!

The "Pseudo-Programing" can also be stopped without power interruption with

CV #7 = 0

which means that the programming reverts back to the original CV #166.

Using as an initial "Pseudo-Programming"

CV #7 = 210 or 220

achieves the same results as above but remains active even after the system is powered down. This state can only be cancelled with

CV #7 = 0,

which is important to remember in order to program lower CV’s again.

That's the full extract from the ZIMO manual to set the context, so here's what you can try:

CV7 = 120, then immediately, CV218 = 15 and CV215 = 18.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I have a Prodigy Express system and I am able to alter CV's above 255  and have done so several times - CV266 to control overall volume being an example. However as the Express system only has keys up to F15 there are sounds that I can't access.

For example on my ' Multi-drive ' CL26 I would prefer to lose - Flange noise 2 (F14) and Compressor (F15) and assign Buffering and Coupling to these keys. Can this be done on the service mode programming? What would I need to alter?

Bill

Archived