Re-mapping functions on a Zimo MX644D

bigal10

Paul

Great news - I have just remapped the CVs as you recommended. The mistake I was making was to try to programme on my rolling road with the wires plugged into Main Track as opposed to Program Track.

I had wrongly assumed that as I was on the rolling road, I could programme on the main!

Sounds are now all sorted and she sounds lovely!

Thanks again so much for your help.

Andrew

Hi Paul,

I have a Prodigy Express system and I am able to alter CV's above 255  and have done so several times - CV266 to control overall volume being an example. However as the Express system only has keys up to F15 there are sounds that I can't access.

For example on my ' Multi-drive ' CL26 I would prefer to lose - Flange noise 2 (F14) and Compressor (F15) and assign Buffering and Coupling to these keys. Can this be done on the service mode programming? What would I need to alter?

Bill

Bill,

These changes can be made in Service mode or POM, your choice.

Which keys are the Buffering and Coupling sounds assigned to currently? I know you cannot access higher F keys, but it will be shown in the Functions List.

Paul

Paul

Great news - I have just remapped the CVs as you recommended. The mistake I was making was to try to programme on my rolling road with the wires plugged into Main Track as opposed to Program Track.

I had wrongly assumed that as I was on the rolling road, I could programme on the main!

Sounds are now all sorted and she sounds lovely!

Thanks again so much for your help.

Andrew

Andrew,

Glad you sorted it. You should be able to program on the main.

Problem is probably due to poor connection for programming instructions to pass through the rolling road.

Sometimes with problem locos I resort to crocodile clips on the wheels or even directly to the pick-up wipers.

How were you trying at the club?

Paul

Bill,

These changes can be made in Service mode or POM, your choice.

Which keys are the Buffering and Coupling sounds assigned to currently? I know you cannot access higher F keys, but it will be shown in the Functions List.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me. Buffering is currently on F16 and Coupling is on F17. Would also like to move the 'guards whistle' on my CL37 'manual notching' from F18 to F9 (flange squeal). I would be using the service mode to make the changes.

Regards, Bill.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me. Buffering is currently on F16 and Coupling is on F17. Would also like to move the 'guards whistle' on my CL37 'manual notching' from F18 to F9 (flange squeal). I would be using the service mode to make the changes.

Regards, Bill.

Hi Bill,

Here's the logic:

Take the number of the key with the sound you would like to transfer, add this to 400. That becomes the number of the CV to address. eg to move the sound from F16, use CV416

The value to be entered in this CV is the number of the key you wish to assign it to. So, CV416 = 14 will assign the buffering sound (in this case) to F14.

However, the originally assigned sound (Flange 2 in this case) will still play when F14 is used, that is, both sounds together. So you will also need to move the original. It makes some kind of sense to send it to where the newly assigned sound came from.

So, CV414 =16.

For the Coupling sound, or more correctly described as 'the sound currently assigned to F17' to be moved to F15, the numbers are:

CV417 = 15

and

CV415 = 17

Now, you can use this knowledge, and the practice lesson you will have completed, to work out and execute the CVs and values needed in your Class 37.

The really important point is that, unlike other brands, ZIMO makes everything simple for end-users to customise, even if all you have is a DCC controller, and have no idea how the sound project was compiled.

Kind regards,

Paul

Bill,

You're welcome. But don't ask how to do the same on a Loksound, it can be a bit more involved.

Forgot to mention how to 'undo' the above changes.

The process you have undertaken is non-destructive, the sound project remains exactly as delivered. The sounds remain assigned to the original F keys; all you are doing is changing the keys which operate them. eg pressing F15 tells the decoder to play the sound assigned to F17 in the sound project.

All you need to do to reverse the changes is to simply put a value of 0 (zero) in the respective CVs and all goes back to how it was before.

I've not checked this out, but I believe that as this is a 'user adjustment', a reset (CV8 = 8 ) will not affect these changes.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the re-set info but I don't think I will 'muck' about  with the settings anymore meantime. At the moment I am carrying the flag for 'Multi-drive' - seems there are still those out there that have still to experience your sounds and when I tell them it's a Zimo I am met with a vacant look :O ! I will be at Warley with Kinlochewe in November - they will certainly know I'm in the building.

Regards, Bill.

Hi Paul, and all,

I've also been following the later part of this thread, and that's brilliant, always wondered how to 'move' sounds from one FO to another,

Just followed your lesson-plan for Bill's path with my Class 37 (digi-drive) and swapped F15 and F3, and careful to use your undo method made sure all is OK.

A bit like Bill with his Prodigy, I suspect,.....

I'm an ECoS user, and for each of the 2 cabs, the screen only allows the first 16 icons to be visible, the remaining 17 - 28 are toggled into view by means of a toggle-button at the top of column 2, but I find it a bit of a faff to toggle icons when the loco is running, so having the ability to put the more 'important' functions within easy access is certainly a bonus. Score 1 to Zimo! (again)

Now, if I can just figure a way to stop the nose of my ViTrains 37 from falling off every time I remove the body.....

Regards,

Alan

• 2 months later...

Hi Bill,

Here's the logic:

Take the number of the key with the sound you would like to transfer, add this to 400. That becomes the number of the CV to address. eg to move the sound from F16, use CV416

The value to be entered in this CV is the number of the key you wish to assign it to. So, CV416 = 14 will assign the buffering sound (in this case) to F14.

However, the originally assigned sound (Flange 2 in this case) will still play when F14 is used, that is, both sounds together. So you will also need to move the original. It makes some kind of sense to send it to where the newly assigned sound came from.

So, CV414 =16.

For the Coupling sound, or more correctly described as 'the sound currently assigned to F17' to be moved to F15, the numbers are:

CV417 = 15

and

CV415 = 17

Now, you can use this knowledge, and the practice lesson you will have completed, to work out and execute the CVs and values needed in your Class 37.

The really important point is that, unlike other brands, ZIMO makes everything simple for end-users to customise, even if all you have is a DCC controller, and have no idea how the sound project was compiled.

Kind regards,

Paul

Paul

Thanks for an exquisitely clear explanation of exactly what I was looking for. As soon as I get the chance I'll apply this to John's loco (see my Windowledge Railway thread)

Really very helpful, and much easier to interpret than the Zimo manual!

Best

Simon

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just hard wired a Zimo MX 648F into a DJ Model 14XX (not for the feint hearted)

All works fine - however controller set to forward locomotive travels in reverse.

I am reluctant to remove the chip and change the wires over on the chip to the motor.

I understand that I am able to remedy the problem in the cv software

I have read cv 29 and it is set to 14

Bit unsure what to do.

Eltel

• RMweb Premium

Try to change the value of CV 29 to 15 or 13RegardsLocoman

I tried 15 and loco number reverted to 3

I'll try 13 tomorrow

Thanks for your help

Eltel

Just hard wired a Zimo MX 648F into a DJ Model 14XX (not for the feint hearted)

All works fine - however controller set to forward locomotive travels in reverse.

I am reluctant to remove the chip and change the wires over on the chip to the motor.

I understand that I am able to remedy the problem in the cv software

I have read cv 29 and it is set to 14

Bit unsure what to do.

Eltel

Eltel,

Changing the motor direction with CV29 is straightforward provided you know what you are doing.The impact of changing values in CV29 is not as simple as some people would have you believe. Advising 'add 1 or reduce by 1' without considering the knock on effect in more detail is rather cavalier.

You gave the existing value in CV29 =14 so it is simple to deduce what features are already enabled, what you should do to add the directional reversal and what to avoid doing.

If you wish to keep all the same settings (28/128 speed steps, DC running enabled, and Railcom enabled) then use 15 to add direction reversal.

If you change CV29 to 13, you will gain the change of direction, but the decoder will respond at 14 speed steps only. This will give all sorts of potential problems unless you really are using a DCC controller which is only capable of 14 speed step operations.Value 13 is not recommended for any decoder except in very narrowly defined circumstances. (not yours).

There are other things that you might wish to disable whilst you are changing CV29 values though.

Unless you wish to run on analogue, many people prefer to disable DC running capability. This greatly reduces the risk of runaways on DCC, and is essential if you wish to use 'automatic braking DC'. To disable DC running, reduce the total value by 4

If you do not use RailCom on your layout, you will reduce the DCC signal breaks required if you also disable RailCom. Reduce the total by 8.

The higher Bit values (16 and 32) are obviously not included in your currrent set up as your reported value is 14, but if you use individual speed tables or programme a Long Address, these will need to be added.

So unless you need these specific features mentioned above, you will get optimal running in the correct direction over a wide set of operating conditions with CV29 = 3

Kind regards,

Paul

El

I tried 15 and loco number reverted to 3
I'll try 13 tomorrow

Thanks for your help

Eltel

Eltel,

If you original value was really 14, changing to 15 would not revert your address to 3. 

I suspect that what has happened is that you had a long address set so Bit 6 (value 32) must have been included in the total which may have been the 14 you read before setting the long address. Your controller may have added this as part of setting a long address without specifically advising you of this. PowerCab will do this for example, but there are others.

Changing from an assumed (by me) value of 46 to 15 would, however, cancel the use of the long address and default to the recorded short address, often this will remain at 3 so it apears from the outside that the address has reset to three, and that is the effect on control, but it's not what has actually happened.

Don't use 13, that will not be correct for you.

Use CV29 = 3. Then, when you are sure things are working as they should, change the address (to a long one or a short one) as you wish. You might find it useful to read the value in CV29 at each stage.

Whatever happens, you will appreciate the CV29 is a multi-effect CV and is not to be triffled with blindly.

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul

Thanks for the info

As I currently use a Gaugemaster Prodigy I do not have analgue option.

I also tend to use 28 steps as standard with all my locomotives

I'll change CV 29 to 3 and see what happens.

Thanks

Terry

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the re-set info but I don't think I will 'muck' about  with the settings anymore meantime. At the moment I am carrying the flag for 'Multi-drive' - seems there are still those out there that have still to experience your sounds and when I tell them it's a Zimo I am met with a vacant look :O ! I will be at Warley with Kinlochewe in November - they will certainly know I'm in the building.

Regards, Bill.

Bill

Not me - I'm most impressed with my R/F 26 -  (Zimo MX645R ActiveDrive and twin Zimo Dumbo's).- it sounds excellent and has superb driveability also.........have another on the WB   - more here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120584-the-northern-lights-wb/

Regards

Ken

Archived