• RMweb Gold

Just a quick update with some pretty poor photos, but I actually got to drive past the site of Edge Lane Junction today (believe it or not first time I've ever been down Crawford Way and Pigue Lane). Unfortunately I didn't have time to jump out the Van as I was working but managed a few 'legally taken' (wasn't driving at the time honest) quick photos.

Down this embankment is Edge Lane Junction, believe it or not through all the bushes.

post-18716-0-30963900-1408045714_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-31274000-1408045737_thumb.jpg

A close up of the wall, may come in handy in the future.

post-18716-0-48360100-1408045820_thumb.jpg

Looking up Crawford Way towards Pighue Lane, the junction is on the left down the embankment.

post-18716-0-12905000-1408045888_thumb.jpg

Through the railings and the bushes the line to Edgehill disappears under Pighue Lane, honest!

post-18716-0-88806000-1408046000_thumb.jpg

The last two pics are of Pighue Lane, interesting to actually see how much it bends.

post-18716-0-41227700-1408046017_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-84720700-1408046029_thumb.jpg

No trains and probably not very interesting but thought it could be worth posting :)

Cheers, Paul

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well as promised and keeping on schedule I've planned out the track plan which includes the added slow line to hold locos going to the depot further down the line. What I have realised is that 18" or even 20" just isn't going to be wide enough to do it justice. The good news is I don't need to build new boards I can use the old boards off Garston Bridge, I just need to make the frame bigger underneath to cover the depth of the point motors to protect them.

So a couple of pics below of the plan so far, the paper I've planned it on is only 18" wide so the tape measure us in place to show where the 2ft wide will end. Although it's planned for the extra line a slight bit of me is tempted to go for modelling the original, but with the Edgehill road 'wired', thoughts and comments would be greatfully received as always.

Cheers, Paul

post-18716-0-39058100-1408137349_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-43369800-1408137442_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-91736300-1408137517_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-54501000-1408137697_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-71480600-1408137714_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-13973200-1408137774_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's my videos of the area - modern but may have something of use

https://www.youtube.com/user/beast66606/search?query=edge+lane

Thanks Beast

I watched a couple of your videos the other day, think they'll come in really useful :). Just trying to picture it with the extra line I'm adding though to see if it looks right, although the idea is there's a depot further down the line to add a bit of interest. That's my only concern though so I'm not doin to bad!!

Thanks again, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Here's something to scare you - me pulling off the home from the docks - lever 6 - in ELJ, ca 1981

attachicon.gifdaselj.jpg

Ha your not scaring me your just making me jealous!!!! ;)

But would you have had more fun if there would of been an extra line for you to play with?? :D I'm not fishing for advice honest!!

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Brian

Well I've stripped the boards of wires, track and point motors, quite sad really but I've leant a lot from Garston Bridge, but it was just to big of a project, having said that looking at some track plonked down on the boards this could be to!!

Couple of pics below of how it might look, excuse the concrete sleepers there all I had to hand, but it gives the general idea of were the track will go.

The view from Pighue Lane

post-18716-0-94087000-1408207704_thumb.jpg

Couple if pics from around the signal box area, a class 40 waits the road from Exhibition Junction, whilst an 85 is held in the loop from Edgehill.

post-18716-0-16240300-1408207728_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-46525500-1408207754_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-92273200-1408207782_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-43788400-1408207808_thumb.jpg

And a view from the Binns Road direction.

post-18716-0-46199700-1408207829_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Paul

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Ha your not scaring me your just making me jealous!!!! ;)

But would you have had more fun if there would of been an extra line for you to play with?? :D I'm not fishing for advice honest!!

Paul

The real one didn't do shunting by the time I knew it (except for being involved in turning steam locos), personnaly I'd go with "Piggy" but then Mike T who's been pointing you towards "Piggy" is a very good friend of mine - BUT it's your layout ...

• RMweb Gold

The real one didn't do shunting by the time I knew it (except for being involved in turning steam locos), personnaly I'd go with "Piggy" but then Mike T who's been pointing you towards "Piggy" is a very good friend of mine - BUT it's your layout ...

I'd do Piggy but I just don't have the room to do it justice, maybe you an Mike could do Piggy an we can join it all up together!! ;) but whether I go for the track plan I've plopped down or go for original I'll try an do it justice. To be honest there's a bit of pressure on me now, you've been there an worked there beast, all I've done is look at Flickr an 'drive past and thought that'll look good as a layout!! :)

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Neil

Even if it's not always usable (for the next year or so it's being built in a 6ft room) it'll be great to work on as there's more scenery than track and it'll give me a good backdrop for photos, then when the mrs goes off to work I can take over the living room and have a play but don't tell her ;)

Couple of pics today before I took the plonked track up ready for work to start.

A view from Pighue Lane.

post-18716-0-48990200-1408280633_thumb.jpg

A couple more from by the box, a type 4 drags an AL5 from the depot towards Exhibition Junction.

post-18716-0-11111300-1408280668_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-79696600-1408280697_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Paul

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Neil

It's still a pretty big project size wise, but not that much track, less is more maybe, I've got four Toroise point motors so they'll obviously be used, but I've got four Cobalt point motors left over. Now on the prototype there are two catch points on the Exhibition Junction/Olive mount branch, do I take the easy option an just make dummy ones or do I buy some working ones, give myself more work and use two Cobalts? Would anyone actually notice a working catch point?

First thing to do is get the cork sheeting down, ready for laying the track, once the track is down, or before, I need to raise the frame of the boards so it's higher/lower than the point motors. Lots to do!! One thing I have to say is during my threads I seam to be more talk and no action which I'll have to turn around, the good thing is the layout is no longer in a separate house so I should get a lot more time to play!!

Cheers Paul

• RMweb Gold

Evening all

I've managed to get a couple of things done tonight, I've rewired the droppers to all the points I'll be using and I've done two track plans, one in the form of a 'signal box' track diagram and one as how it'll hopefully look. The beast has kindly said he'll signal it for me, so a big thank you to the beast in advance.

The 'Signal box' type track plan, the box around the plan represents what will be modelled on the two boards, the roads to the left of the drawing will be lead to an fictional depot based a short distance down the line.

post-18716-0-43134700-1408650412_thumb.jpg

And the 'how it will hopefully look' track plan.

post-18716-0-72780700-1408650532_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Brian

What I should of labeled is the bottom lone in the photo to the head shunt, this is a slow line/loop from EdgeHill for locos heading to the depot to be held whilst more important traffic passes.

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all

Managed to get a couple of things done today, rather than do what I normally do and order online I actually got off my backside and payed Hattons a visit for only the second time since since they moved. I remember going to the original little shop with my dad and the only way to describe it to anyone who never managed to get there, it's like going to 'Ollivanders' wand shop in Harry Potter but trains no wands!! ;)

The new shop is really good, just don't take your flexible friend with you otherwise your in trouble, so having sustained the urge to buy either a new BR green class 40, a 108 DMU and say "Giz a job" I left with 8 lengths of code 75 flexi, rail joiners and a copy of Great British Model Railways (some nice pics of Abbotswood in there Phil:) )

So then it was home (well brother in laws house were I'm house sitting), wave the mrs off to work and get started :D

Unfortunately I haven't got as much done as I've wanted though as I've ran out of cork underlay, I thought I had another roll but didn't an I've left my copper clad sheet at home which I'll need to solder the track to were the boards join.

On a positive note though the first bits of track are down, the crossover and the two points of the junction are all in place, just one dropper needs re-soldering, but Edge Lane Junction has begun!!

Couple of pics of today's progress

Cheers, Paul

post-18716-0-55515100-1408812959_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-94255000-1408812979_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-94649100-1408813061_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-35840100-1408813147_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Paul - A great start to what will be a very nice layout.

Cheers, Bob.

Thanks Bob, I was so tempted to buy some locos today but then realised I'm best spending my penny's on something to run them on! Hope I produce the goods on this one Bob :)

Thanks again, Paul

• Like 1

That's a very nice Whistler' you have there.......... :sungum:

Great looking plan for the layout too, nice and simple, but with quite a lot of operational possibilities. I like the idea of 'Set back' on the way to the depot, for more important stock to pass :scratchhead:

Keep it going..

Jinty ;-) 

• RMweb Gold

That's a very nice Whistler' you have there.......... :sungum:

Great looking plan for the layout too, nice and simple, but with quite a lot of operational possibilities. I like the idea of 'Set back' on the way to the depot, for more important stock to pass :scratchhead:

Keep it going..

Jinty ;-)

Thanks Jinty

That whistlers is one of my favourites I've done so far, there's a couple of vids of it's 'Biffo' sound on my weathering thread I think, if your interested an can't them I'll send you the YouTube link.

Thanks for the compliments on the layout to, I was a bit unsure about the passing loop, but it just adds that little bit extra possibility and like you've just said its nice and simple, I'm hoping it'll turn out more scenery with a bit of track if you know what I mean :)

Many thank, Paul