Dapol Maunsell Coaches in N

Chris Higgs

This may be true, but copying what Hornby did in 00 without also learning their lessons is not a great strategy. If you wanted to make an N-gauge 4-VEP, would you use Hornby's original model as your starting point? :O

• RMweb Gold

Dapol have a theme of following Hornby's example with releases such as the Light Pacifics, Schools, these Maunsell coaches and the Van C. Perhaps there was some behind the scenes collaboration?

This has been suggested before but I think it is unlikely. More likely I think is that Dapol look at which of Hornby's 00 releases are good sellers in order to gauge what is likely to sell well in N. Also, as Hornby tends not to model stuff that Bachmann has done (with some honourable exceptions) it also means that Dapol try to avoid anything farish is likely to release.

Well, I had a reply to my post on the Dapol Facebook page:

1) 'Set 450' is cancelled as they are not doing R1 stock.

2) Subject to WiP and factory space, etc, they will be producing at some point the Diagram 2101 4-compartment BTK and the matching Diagram 2401 BCK.

He shoots, he scores!!

• Like 4

This has been suggested before but I think it is unlikely. More likely I think is that Dapol look at which of Hornby's 00 releases are good sellers in order to gauge what is likely to sell well in N. Also, as Hornby tends not to model stuff that Bachmann has done (with some honourable exceptions) it also means that Dapol try to avoid anything farish is likely to release.

This would make sense. The two major (British outline) players in 'OO' are Bachmann and Hornby; the two in N are Dapol and Farish. If Bachmann/Farish are producing models in either scale chances are they will appear in the other in due course. Which leaves Dapol in N with the models they aren't producing, which will tend to be those that Hornby are producing in OO...

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Premium

Well, I had a reply to my post on the Dapol Facebook page:

1) 'Set 450' is cancelled as they are not doing R1 stock.

2) Subject to WiP and factory space, etc, they will be producing at some point the Diagram 2101 4-compartment BTK and the matching Diagram 2401 BCK.

I wonder just how long the BTK and BCK will take to come out, place your bets.

Indeed, with the significant backlog they have to get through already it is probably not unreasonable to think 2016 at the earliest.

It is a shame for all those who had preordered the coach set pack that they are now to be disappointed.

Roy

This may be true, but copying what Hornby did in 00 without also learning their lessons is not a great strategy. If you wanted to make an N-gauge 4-VEP, would you use Hornby's original model as your starting point? :O

Dapol have a theme of following Hornby's example with releases such as the Light Pacifics, Schools, these Maunsell coaches and the Van C. Perhaps there was some behind the scenes collaboration?

I agree. It, certainly, looks that way... Early on, ..the modified Bulleid light pacifics, with their flat topped, narrow fire-boxes,    and the originals, with their curved topped chimney exhaust cowls (Ex-Kitmaster / Airfix / Dapol kit copy, no doubt ?).  These appear to have been corrected, but, comparing the two versions, the angle of the fire-box wash out plugs, still, do not match / correspond.

Notably, Dapol appear to have followed in other's, faulted, footsteps. These Maunsell coaches appear to have the same faults as Hornby.The upper rain strip curves much too high. This should be a closer radii / match to the lower. (Note to self :- Don't mention the u/f battery boxes and the Turn-under / Tumble-home ) 

Just, maybe, Dapol are testing the water with these ?, and, thus, gathering info, along the way, (As they did with the Cl.52,Western), and are willing to take on the initial faux pas ?

I have to say that, If I were Dapol, I'd have gone for the 'High window' corridor stock 

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 1

Guest Belgian

Indeed I said somewhere once before that someone should do a 3 car set with low window 4 compartment brakes. These ended up on the S&DJR which I rather expect lots of people like to model.

Dapol's choice of 6 compartment low window brake thirds is very odd, although not unique - they also did the very uncommon all-first Gresley when a composite would have been more representative. And some of the Farish Stanier types were as rare as hens teeth.

There ware in fact six protoypes in total of the Dapol brake - two brake seconds were built for boat trains that were identical - and I really mean second here, which did appear in boat trains even though the rest of the railway stock had only first and third. This means there is actually is a single four car set you can (almost) represent with the Dapol stock they are making. The formation is BSK+SK+FK+BSK, with numbers 4481+7669+4484+4482, used for the Newhaven boat train. The set had no number, and actually was five cars, with the remaining coach being a Pullman first. (oh, yes please Dapol if you are thinking of making those).

Chris

The two Brake 2nds were re-classified to Brake 3rds in October 1954 and then re-classified as Brake 2nds when all Third-class stock was reclassified to Second in 1956. The two cars were 4481/2 as Bk 2nds (original type) then 2772/3 as Bk 3rds and remaining as 2773/3 as Bk 2nds (second type)..

JE

I wonder just how long the BTK and BCK will take to come out, place your bets.

Goodness knows. Bear in mind there has been a significant delay between the 1st EPs and the decorated samples. If I were being optimistic, I might hope that Dapol have been doing the work in this time and the BTK and BCK will be almost ready by now.

Hope springs eternal. :)

It is a shame for all those who had preordered the coach set pack that they are now to be disappointed.

Wouldn't it be even more disappointing to receive a coach pack only to discover it was wrong? If Dapol thought a coach pack was a good idea (and I certainly do) then the chances are that one will still be released once they have worked out a suitable set with the coaches they will have at their disposal.

Personally I am very pleased with this news, particularly the announcement of the BCK (which is conspicuously absent from Farish's Bulleid range). P-sets, through coaches and all sorts of other options open up now this is on the horizon.

Hi Matt

Agreed, it would have been even more disappointing had that happened but I was working from the premise that the book sets that were to have been released had been correctly researched, and now thanks to some good work from members here we discover that not to be the case.

Regards

Roy

I have to say that, If I were Dapol, I'd have gone for the 'High window' corridor stock 

I suspect Dapol feel there are significant moulding and glazing  issues with the very narrow section between window top and roof, and we may never see these.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

• 1 month later...

Not sure of versions etc but i asked the guy at Dapol, Andy?, about brake composites and he admitted the importance of adding it to the range and told me that their guy had started researching for it and the model should be released around 6 months behind the rest of the Maunsell coaches already announced and that the Br green ones should follow the Souther livery pretty soon. 

Great news

Best wishes

simon

• 1 month later...

Those look excellent. From the running numbers, it looks like Dapol have settled on the R4 stock (there was some confusion about this originally IIRC). This is good news as it was numerous, widespread and quite long lived. Also I think it is the correct stock for converting into push-pull sets assuming Dapol also release the BCK (which I believe they have hinted at).

Those look excellent. From the running numbers, it looks like Dapol have settled on the R4 stock (there was some confusion about this originally IIRC). This is good news as it was numerous, widespread and quite long lived. Also I think it is the correct stock for converting into push-pull sets assuming Dapol also release the BCK (which I believe they have hinted at).

The pull-push sets were made from high-window BCKs and drop-window Open Seconds...

Edited by talisman56

Those twin-axle Maunsell Van C/BYs seem to of been quite rare beasties, I can only find a handful of pictures of them on Google; two are in pres and the other is in departmental use. Can anyone point me in the right direction for some other shots around the late 60s-early 70s period? I'll have a look through my NPCCS books when I get home incase there's some info in there, but when were these withdrawn from revenue earning traffic, and did they see much use in parcels work? If so, did many/any make it in to blue like their much more common cousins, the SR CCT?

Cheers,
Benn.

Those twin-axle Maunsell Van C/BYs seem to of been quite rare beasties, I can only find a handful of pictures of them on Google; two are in pres and the other is in departmental use. Can anyone point me in the right direction for some other shots around the late 60s-early 70s period? I'll have a look through my NPCCS books when I get home incase there's some info in there, but when were these withdrawn from revenue earning traffic, and did they see much use in parcels work? If so, did many/any make it in to blue like their much more common cousins, the SR CCT?

Cheers,

Benn.

Try here: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/srby

There were (according to my books) 250 of these built, so they are not all that rare. However, the last of these were in 1941, so they were outlived by the CCTs and PMVs, which were still being built in the 1950s.

They lasted until 1978 in revenue service, although none of those in the photos above actually seems to have been painted in blue.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

• 2 months later...

I think I might have put a spanner in their works with my EMail telling them that no-one would buy one of the BR liveried Brakes because the prototype 4049 didn't last long enough to receive any type of BR livery as it was a victim of the Luftwaffe...