Dapol Maunsell Coaches in N

Chris Higgs

A frustratingly different shade not sure they look that great side by side, the Farish shade looks good to my eye so a little disappointed with the Dapol one.

It does look like the light is being quite harsh on the Dapol coach there, judging by how the colour darkens to the right of the coach. I'll reserve my judgement until I see one in the flesh, hopefully this weekend at TINGS!

I would try softening them first with something like Microsol and then trying to scrape them off with a cocktail stick. That should do the trick without causing damage.

Having said that, I have not tried myself so maybe best to test the Microsol on a bit of the window plastic where it will not show to make sure it does not cloud or discolour it.

• 2 weeks later...

How do we remove the unwanted 1st Class stickers on the 3rd brakes without damaging the windows? Any ideas welcome.....

Hi,

I've just sat down with my 2 brakes to remove the offending 1st Class stickers. I used a cocktail stick to gently rub them. The ease with which they came off suggests the no smoking signs will quickly come off if handled to often! I reckon it took me longer to take them out of their packaging and putting them back than it did to remove the stickers.

Gareth

Hi,

Having now removed the offending 1st Class stickers I suppose I'll have to look at renumbering 4049 or leave it as part of a ghost train following its destruction in 1944 by enemy action. I've got the coaches and want to run them as a proper set as per David Gould's Maunsell Carriage Stock book along with my other Southern and Southern Region sets but it looks like Dapol's selection of prototypes means fiction will have to be the order of the day. I know its good to have these coaches but a bit pointless if you want to run them properly which could have been avoided with a tiny bit of research :scratchhead:

Gareth

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Having now removed the offending 1st Class stickers I suppose I'll have to look at renumbering 4049 or leave it as part of a ghost train following its destruction in 1944 by enemy action. I've got the coaches and want to run them as a proper set as per David Gould's Maunsell Carriage Stock book along with my other Southern and Southern Region sets but it looks like Dapol's selection of prototypes means fiction will have to be the order of the day. I know its good to have these coaches but a bit pointless if you want to run them properly which could have been avoided with a tiny bit of research :scratchhead:

Gareth

By the time the Dapol Maunsells had got to BR(S) Green livery, set 469 was formed BSK 4048-SK 2351-SK 2350-FK 7665-x-SK 2349-BSK 2789* - x denotes a Pullman (usually a Composite Kitchen), * a Maunsell high-window vehicle.

Set 470 was formed (up until 1957) BSK 4050-CK 5656*-BSK 4051, (and between 1957 and withdrawl in 1959) BSK 4050-SO 7977-SO 7985-CK 5656*-CK 5635*-SO 7988-SO 4392**-BSK 4051 - again * denotes a high-window vehicle, ** a R1 ex-General Saloon reclassed Second in 1939. All the SOs are 1931 stock associated with the first 'high-window' period.

The three-car sets will have to wait until Dapol have produced the 4-compartment brake vehicles, as all the 'low window' 3-sets were formed with those and the existing CK.

• 6 months later...

Not seen this mentioned here, but I was trawling through the Rails (of Sheffield) Dapol Coach pages and spotted these new additions available for pre-order:

2P-012-303   SR Maunsell Corridor 1st S7208S BR(S) Green [loose]
2P-012-304   SR Maunsell Corridor 1st S7367S BR(S) Green [incorrect number - 7367 was an 'Ironclad' 1st]
2P-012-353   SR Maunsell Corridor Brake 2nd S4050S BR(S) Green [set 470]
2P-012-354   SR Maunsell Corridor Brake 2nd S4482S BR(S) Green [incorrect number - 4482 was a Boat train 2nd in SR days, renumbered 2773 in 1954 when downgraded to 3rd]
2P-012-402   SR Maunsell Corridor 2nd S810S BR(S) Green [loose]
2P-012-403   SR Maunsell Corridor 2nd S823S BR(S) Green [loose]
2P-012-453   SR Maunsell Corridor Composite S5150S BR(S) Green [set 448]
2P-012-454   SR Maunsell Corridor Composite S5149S BR(S) Green [set 447]
2P-012-503   SR PMY Brake Van S750S BR(S) Green
2P-012-504   SR PMY Brake Van S766S BR(S) Green

Looks like a new batch of BR(S) Green liveried Maunsells are imminent. New batch, same old mistakes...

I wonder if they'll be in the same 'Malachitey' Green as the first batch...

Edited by talisman56

• 3 months later...

As already noted here the BR Maunsell green livery is too light and too matt. Would a coat of varnish rectify this I wonder?

It also seems to me that the coach bodies sit too high on the bogies which appears to have something to do with the springy lighting pick-ups.  

• 4 weeks later...

For those waiting for the 4-compartment Brake Third and Brake Composite vehicles, a photo (from mobile phone and through the window of the display cabinet, so apologies for the dodgy quality) of the EPs at the Dapol Open Day yesterday.

Current timescales are decorated samples by end of year and production for availability sometime in Q2 2017.

post-14641-0-95501600-1475435606_thumb.jpg

It has been intimated that as well as releasing individual coaches, one or two complete sets* (BTK(4)-CK-BTK(4)) will be available (hopefully with appropriate set numbering) and also pairs of BTK(4) with running numbers that will match with one/two of the existing CK vehicles. Initial liveries will be Maunsell lined Olive Green and BR(S) Green.

*Sets 390-399/445-448...

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent news about the crimson and cream Maunsells (on pre-order from Hatton's); didn't know they were on the cards.

Yes, pictures on the Dapol Digest forum:

https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/n-gauge-models/rolling-stock/maunsell-coaches/467-br-crimson-and-cream-maunsells#post467

The first class stickers on the Brake Third and the inappropriate number* for the designation have already been pointed out to them...

* 2P-012-651 and -652 are numbered S4481/82 - these were Boat Train BSKs at the time the earlier Crimson/Cream livery was in force (viz. the thicker upper Crimson stripe and running numbers at the left end of the body). They were downgraded to BTK in 1954 and renumbered 2772/73, so the designation/livery/number combination is wrong on all counts for these vehicles.

Edited by talisman56

• 1 year later...

For those waiting for the 4-compartment Brake Third and Brake Composite vehicles, a photo (from mobile phone and through the window of the display cabinet, so apologies for the dodgy quality) of the EPs at the Dapol Open Day yesterday.

Current timescales are decorated samples by end of year and production for availability sometime in Q2 2017.

attachicon.gifIMAG0110a.jpg

It has been intimated that as well as releasing individual coaches, one or two complete sets* (BTK(4)-CK-BTK(4)) will be available (hopefully with appropriate set numbering) and also pairs of BTK(4) with running numbers that will match with one/two of the existing CK vehicles. Initial liveries will be Maunsell lined Olive Green and BR(S) Green.

*Sets 390-399/445-448...

I kind of hate these posts myself, but does anyone know the current release schedule for these two coach types?

Chris

I kind of hate these posts myself, but does anyone know the current release schedule for these two coach types?

Chris

1st/2nd Quarter next year, depending if they get them into production before the Chinese Year... I'm not holding my breath for the earlier date, though.

• 6 months later...

My order from a certain Cornish retailer arrived today - 4-cpt BSKs and a 3N/SD-set in 'BR(S) Green'...

post-14641-0-20907700-1526479007_thumb.jpg

Brief inspection proved them to be as good as their predecessors. The Brakes have the (correct) set numbers applied by the manufacturer, thus saving me a job...

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Posted on the Dapol website on Thursday:

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/New-in-stock-and-going-our-to-stockists-now

...and confirmed by Hattons email yesterday as on their way to me:

Dapol 2P-012-055 Maunsell brake third 3214 in SR green

Dapol 2P-012-056 Maunsell brake third 3215 in SR green

Dapol 2P-012-075 Maunsell brake composite 6365 in SR green

Dapol 2P-012-253 Pack of three Maunsell coaches - Set 394 - brake third, compartment third and compartment third in SR olive green

There is a query on the Dapol Digest about the number 6365 quoted by Hattons - 6565 on the Dapol information linked to above, but as anyone who has read any of my comments on here may have gathered:

...because I'm a mere child in such matters and have no idea...

Anyhoo, I'll post one of my customery almost passabe snapshots when they arrive, Monday-ish...

Regards, Gerry.

Hi,

Posted on the Dapol website on Thursday:

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/New-in-stock-and-going-our-to-stockists-now

...and confirmed by Hattons email yesterday as on their way to me:

Dapol 2P-012-055 Maunsell brake third 3214 in SR green

Dapol 2P-012-056 Maunsell brake third 3215 in SR green

Dapol 2P-012-075 Maunsell brake composite 6365 in SR green

Dapol 2P-012-253 Pack of three Maunsell coaches - Set 394 - brake third, compartment third and compartment third in SR olive green

There is a query on the Dapol Digest about the number 6365 quoted by Hattons - 6565 on the Dapol information linked to above, but as anyone who has read any of my comments on here may have gathered:

Anyhoo, I'll post one of my customery almost passabe snapshots when they arrive, Monday-ish...

Regards, Gerry.

I had the same query re the BCK running number on my identical order to yours, but as Rails and Kernow are quoting 6565 and the correct formation for the 3-set I assume it's a Hattons SNAFU...

Edited by talisman56

Have the brakes got set numbers on? The hattons photos don't appear to show them.

No they haven't - not on the individual coaches, or on the brakes in the set. Which is disappointing, seeing as the BR(S) Green ones had the appropriate set numbering on the ends of the brakes. I don't have any Crimson/Cream ones so can't say if they had any set numbering applied to the BTKs...

The BTKs do have spurious seat numbers in the above-window lining, as if they've used the BCK tampo set to apply the lining there...

Edited by talisman56

• 8 months later...

For those who ask for rolling stock without numbers, Dapol is making an offer.  From their Facebook page

Available to pre-order with your preferred Dapol Stockist now.

Due to popular demand Dapol will be announcing unnumbered high window coaches in the next few days. If sufficient interest is shown then we will proceed with this as planned, if insufficient interest is shown then the unnumbered coaching stock will not be produced.

There is also an image with further details.