Mainly Trains Winding Down

Quarryscapes

Just popped onto mainly trains to see about some bearings and there is now a sad notice:

"After 35 Years of trading we are beginning the process of winding down. We have establised an initial list of while stocks last’ items at discount prices. These include Tools & Drills, Gibson Drivers, Modelmaster Transfers, Slaters Plasikard and at least 15% off all Markits Wheels plus 35% off selected Non Insulated. "

Mainly Trains has been my go to supplier for just about everything for over 10 years, I'll be very sad to see them go completely, there is no other emporium of such bits anywhere on the net. 

• Like 1

I was stunned to read that too.  I used to use MT as a place to get just about everything until the range got reduced some years back.  I've been using MT more recently though.  I agree, there is no other place like MT - perhaps the business will be sold on.

John

• RMweb Premium

I was stunned to read that too.  I used to use MT as a place to get just about everything until the range got reduced some years back.  I've been using MT more recently though.  I agree, there is no other place like MT - perhaps the business will be sold on.

John

Lets Hope Dave can find a buyer.

SS

They've been winding down for years - a lot of ranges got dropped about 6-7 years ago. That said, what they do still stock is really useful - discovered I had no open spoke wagon wheels on Sunday night, ordered some, and the packet arrived through the letterbox on Tuesday. 

• RMweb Gold

That's what I went for as soon as I'd read the announcement - all gone! Not sure what I'm going to do with my half hacked up 14xx now!

I tried as well with no luck...

There are also a whole load of useful etched break bits for doc brakes which hopefully someone will take on....

• Like 1

Put an order in on the MT website on a Sunday night for a mixture of detailing bits and pieces and it dropped through the door Tues morning which is very good service.  Put in another order by phone and got some good advice from Dave as well.  MT will be missed I think....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thankfully (for me) Dave is still in the process of winding down and continuing to provide his excellent levels of service (another ordered Sunday night, arrived Tuesday job).

For those hunting specific parts, try using the search facility on the site if you know the MT part code. I was after some 4 wheel coach chassis which I couldn't find listed through the normal menus, however they appeared via search and were all in stock.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Seems like the demand is still there and being met by Dave....

(Updated 9th February)

We have further stocks of our GWR 14XX detailing kit (MT222). Our GWR 4 Wheel Coach detailing and underframe kit (MT220) should be available by end of Feb, albeit at increased prices.

We are now clearing our residue stocks of Markits drivers (£1.65 Insulated and £1.35 Non Insulated) plus wheelsets at 33% off RRP.

Some Comet chassis are still in stock at 15% off RRP.

• Like 1