Chris-GNR Workbench

• RMweb Premium

Chris. Does the book have good content on Queensbury itself? What I have found on the internet has proved just enough to enable a model to be built but what's what on the time scale of things is a bit confusing. Stretching my budget to cover books can not disappoint, if you get my drift.

Regards Shaun.

Have just found this thread and liked the models portrayed very much. Having built a J52 and a couple of J50s in 7mm I feel right at home with your loco plans, although your very nice coaching stock is too early for my period (late fifties). My J6 build is currently stalled with the compensated chassis for the loco and tender both done - but sometime soon....

Good luck with your railway - GNR, always good to see!

Chris. Does the book have good content on Queensbury itself? What I have found on the internet has proved just enough to enable a model to be built but what's what on the time scale of things is a bit confusing. Stretching my budget to cover books can not disappoint, if you get my drift.

Regards Shaun.

Eyup Shaun

As a visual aid for building a model of Queensbury i don't think the book offers any images you couldn't just find on the t'internet, or may already have.

But as a reference to achieve an overall understanding of the how/why the line was built & as a guide to what ran, when in ran & why its a must.

Nice work on your J50 by the way....

Chris

Afternoon all.....

Just a quick one....

Over the weekend i'll be demoing at the Shipley show showing the locos & rolling stock i'm building for Clayton.

Below is a pile of bits that make into the chassis for my London Road J4 & my intentions are over the weekend to get them into a rolling chassis (wheels not shown in photo) & maybe even running under its own steam, well DC.

post-19016-0-15220900-1411044989_thumb.jpg

If you can make it to the show i'll be on the top floor next to Leicester South (GC) with the Clayton team also showing our progress with the layout & discussing the line, its history & the fairly unique nature of some of the stock that ran the line in our period. Jason T will be demoing his building buildings skills showing some examples from the excellent Bacup.

More progress with the thread after the weekend, fingers crossed.

Chris

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I would just like to say how good it was to meet up at the weekend and to say that the N5 and the J4 look even better in the flesh than they do in photos.

As I said to you, they are not like the work of a novice at all and I can think of some highly experienced modellers who would be delighted if they could turn out work of that quality. They are cetainly miles ahead of my first two kit builds. If you compare your N5 to the rather tatty, under detailed 36 year old one on Church Warsop, you will see what I mean. That was my first complete kit (body and frames - body only ones done before that).

I look forward to following your progress with the stock and the layout,

Best wishes,

Tony

I would just like to say how good it was to meet up at the weekend and to say that the N5 and the J4 look even better in the flesh than they do in photos.

As I said to you, they are not like the work of a novice at all and I can think of some highly experienced modellers who would be delighted if they could turn out work of that quality. They are cetainly miles ahead of my first two kit builds. If you compare your N5 to the rather tatty, under detailed 36 year old one on Church Warsop, you will see what I mean. That was my first complete kit (body and frames - body only ones done before that).

Best wishes,

Tony

Tony

Likewise it was really great to meet & thank you for your very kind words. Its the sound advice form other finescale modellers & for me Iain Rices' Chassis book & reading articles in MRJ that has really helped me start off with a solid vision of what's achievable & the sort of standard i'm choosing to aim for. So i means a lot you speaking so kindly of my efforts thus far. Your N5 (9F) is an excellent model & really looks the part.

Thanks again for showing me those locos built By Malcolm Crawley they are really quite something indeed & also thank you for showing my boys the secret behind the location of the AJ uncouplers on Church Warsop.

Regards

Chris

• Like 1

Best wishes,

Tony

I'd like to second that. Great to meet you on Saturday, Chris (and nice to see you again,Tony, as well). Chris, your J4 looks an absolute treat. Lovely craftsmanship! Have you started the tender yet? Also, did you manage to get a better printout of the Queensbury article? I think it's a pretty thorough piece from concept to closure.

Cheers

Clem

I'd like to second that. Great to meet you on Saturday, Chris (and nice to see you again,Tony, as well). Chris, your J4 looks an absolute treat. Lovely craftsmanship! Have you started the tender yet? Also, did you manage to get a better printout of the Queensbury article? I think it's a pretty thorough piece from concept to closure.

Cheers

Clem

Thank you Clem. Not started the tender yet, hopfully if i can make good progress with the chassis this weekend & get the loco on wheels ill most likley start the tender then.

Very appropriate we should meet infront of Tonys' Church Warsop with all his loverly GNR & GCR stock.

Ive started reading the artical & its nice & indepth, the print out you gave me if fine for reading. I'll use the disc for looking at the photos .

I'll be sure to give you a heads up when i start the J6 i picked up at EM north.

Cheers

Regards

Chris

Thank you Clem. Not started the tender yet, hopfully if i can make good progress with the chassis this weekend & get the loco on wheels ill most likley start the tender then.

Very appropriate we should meet infront of Tonys' Church Warsop with all his loverly GNR & GCR stock.

Ive started reading the artical & its nice & indepth, the print out you gave me if fine for reading. I'll use the disc for looking at the photos .

I'll be sure to give you a heads up when i start the J6 i picked up at EM north.

Cheers

Regards

Chris

Yes - Loved all of Tony's locos and stock - particularly the Malcolm Crawley test etch J6 for George Norton. Also the G1 and C12 and flat roofed GN passenger stock.

Yes, let me now how you get on with that J6 you bought  (bargain!) - I've got 3 London road ones to do at some stage. I think they should come out quite a lot better than the Nucast ones being in a finer and more precise material. But I'm going to have to break off doing locos and stock as soon as the twin set is complete and start work on the scenery for the layout this winter! 

And of course I'll keep tags on your J4 progress. 

Best Wishes 

Clem

Hi Chris,

Just found this thread (I'm a bit slow!) and like others am having difficulty believing this is some of your first work in building loco kits!

I believe we may share a common interest in wishing to put together a GNR articulated Quint set (re-cycled from former 6-wheel and 8-wheel rigid stock)...

Hi Chris,

Just found this thread (I'm a bit slow!) and like others am having difficulty believing this is some of your first work in building loco kits!

I believe we may share a common interest in wishing to put together a GNR articulated Quint set (re-cycled from former 6-wheel and 8-wheel rigid stock)...

Hello 4479

Thank you for your interest. Yes the N5 is the first (other than a couple of parkside kits when i was a teenager) kit I've built & the J4 my secant full kit. I'm lucky that i have a good source of people at the Shipley Model Railway club i can tap for advice & also having nearly read the print of most Iain Rice books & articles i have giving me great inspiration to just get stuck in.

Fingers crossed i should be getting the D&S kits for said Quint set & also two twin sets dropped off at the Shipley show tomorrow, very excited. They will be used on Clayton Queensbury Lines) as part of the passenger stock. Very interesting subject these articulated sets made up from recycled 8 & 6 wheelers, i'm no expert on this but again i'm fortunate to involved with a group with excellent knowledge of this period & real passion for all thing LNER (well pre Thompson). I'll try & post a little bit about the kits next week, although it may be a little while before i start them.

I must return comment & say that I've followed the tread on your excellent Grantham & it looks stunning. The collection of stock is just staggering, very impressed. Are there any plans for it to venture up north at any exhibitions?

Many thanks

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Be interested to see details of the kits when you have them. According to the brochure I got from Danny (Pinnock) of D&S he could provide several 2, 3 or 4 vehicle formations, but made up of the former 6-wheelers only. The outer brake vehicles of the Quint set I'm after (diagram 218KK, Isinglass dwg set 4/14) are longer vehicles (just shy of 43 feet) which I am assuming are the former 8-wheelers. (Like you, I've had to learn from scratch re such esoteric rolling stock and still learning!)

Thanks for kind comments about Grantham. About 90% of the stock is not mine and visits only for running sessions and - in the future - exhibitions. Most of the time the layout looks a little bare!

I am about to 'announce' the first exhibition date (just waiting final confirmation) then there is a programme in the pipeline after that. Certainly some irons in the fire for some northern venues 2016 & 2017 so keep checking the thread.

Edited by LNER4479

Thanks Chris,

Be interested to see details of the kits when you have them. According to the brochure I got from Danny (Pinnock) of D&S he could provide several 2, 3 or 4 vehicle formations, but made up of the former 6-wheelers only. The outer brake vehicles of the Quint set I'm after (diagram 218KK, Isinglass dwg set 4/14) are longer vehicles (just shy of 43 feet) which I am assuming are the former 8-wheelers. (Like you, I've had to learn from scratch re such esoteric rolling stock and still learning!)

Thanks for kind comments about Grantham. About 90% of the stock is not mine and visits only for running sessions and - in the future - exhibitions. Most of the time the layout looks a little bare!

I am about to 'announce' the first exhibition date (just waiting final confirmation) then there is a programme in the pipeline after that. Certainly some irons in the fire for some northern venues 2016 & 2017 so keep checking the thread.

Hello again...

Typo on my part there, sorry. It is two twin sets & one quad (not quint) that i now have. All being made up from ex 6 wheelers as per Dannys brochure. The two quint sets that we are modelling for Clayton are made up from some parts from D&S (ex 6 wheelers) & for the outer brakes & middle vehicle on one, a lav comp of some type, i think (sorry no expert on this one). They are ex 8 Wheelers which a member of our group is creating art work for & having a small number etched for the group. I'm not sure what the plan is regards doing extras for interested parties. I'll ask & get back to you.

Regards 

Chris

Hello again...

Typo on my part there, sorry. It is two twin sets & one quad (not quint) that i now have. All being made up from ex 6 wheelers as per Dannys brochure. The two quint sets that we are modelling for Clayton are made up from some parts from D&S (ex 6 wheelers) & for the outer brakes & middle vehicle on one, a lav comp of some type, i think (sorry no expert on this one). They are ex 8 Wheelers which a member of our group is creating art work for & having a small number etched for the group. I'm not sure what the plan is regards doing extras for interested parties. I'll ask & get back to you.

Regards 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Ah, that now matches what I'd understood. I believe that the creator of your etches is aware that I'd like a set - but no harm in reminding him.

I love making up etched coaches but they seem to take me an AGE so this Quint set will probably be the last one I do for Grantham as we should have enough between us (famous last words!). Look forward to seeing how on get on with yours ;)

Afternoon Everybody....

As promised my progress on the J4 chassis made over the weekend demo-ing at the Shiply show.

Not a fully rolling chassis as i had wanted but not far off with the Gear box made, two extra frame spacers made & fitted, Horne blocks fitted, insulated compensation beam made & fitted & two of the split axles cut to length. I'll try get it rolling by the weekend. Having spent the first hour & half of each day of the show on the door the rest of the time seemed to just go so fast. A lot of time was spent talking to people about out plans & progress with Clayton & as a result meet with some great info & stories. People were very keen to know what i was building & how i was going about doing certain things & showing what i have done so far with the body of the J4 & also talking about the N5 in its finished state.

post-19016-0-50079400-1411660353_thumb.jpg

It was a really enjoyable weekend getting to put a few faces to the names of a few people off of hear & general railway chat with some fantastic people. I know Jason T got plenty of talking done & managed to create a small out building over the weekend & acquired some new airbrushing inspiration. :mosking:

A highlight for me was seeing Hebble Vale Goods in action, very nice.

Regards

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening All

Progress on the J4 is steady, pics to follow.

Just felt like a bit of a change last night so started this.....

post-19016-0-18952400-1412700460_thumb.jpg

Its something for 'The Mill', mine & Jason Ts entry into the EMGS 60year anniversary layout competition.

I'll not say just yet what its is, any guesses welcome. (Jason excluded).

Many thanks

Chris

• Like 2

Looks like it must be a saddle tank, probably from High Level. The only one with splashers is the Neilson?

No flies on you Paul...... right first time. its a High Level 12" Neilson i got at EM north, just couldn't resist.

More up dates to follow on the J4 & i'll try do some more on the Neilson.

Chris.

• 2 months later...

Hello...

Right then, after a couple of months off building stock for Clayton & making a start with things for 'The Mill' mine & Jason Ts' entry into the EM gauge society layout comp i'm now back to continuing with the J4.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90024-the-mill/

After a couple of hours last night i had the chassis running! Axels cut to length & wheels & rods fitted. The final gear in the gearbox is a nice tight fit on the axle so I've not had to fix it permanently to test it. The gear box is a High Level one from the Dean Goods chassis Chris does, i got from a box of bits my Dad acquired from a swap meet, i think its the 50:1 one. He had no intention of using it so i had it.

post-19016-0-31198400-1418774152_thumb.jpg

post-19016-0-75515800-1418774308_thumb.jpg

The motor is temporally wired in using nickel silver wire soldered the frames to support it & collect current, this will be changed in time as it will have a decoder fitted. 

Break gear & further chassis detail next.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 5

Afternoon all....

Forgot to say how i'd gone about shorting out the wheel tyre to the axle.

What I've done is to run a piece of copper beryllium wire from the tyre along the back of one of the spokes & into the wheel hub.

The wire is soldered into a very fine slot cut into the back of the wheel tyre inline with one of the spokes & then filed back flush as not to alter the flange thickness at this point on the wheel. Along the back of the spoke inline with the slot in the tyre i scribed a groove for the wire to run in & then drilled a 0.3mm hole in the hub again inline with this spoke. The wire protrudes out into the wheel centre & when the axle is pressed into the wheel this bends the wire over & remains forced up against the axle inside the wheel hub thus creating electrical contact between the tyre & axle.

post-19016-0-58370100-1418832633_thumb.jpg

post-19016-0-57168400-1418831509_thumb.jpg

I've chosen to do this rather than use the ready available shorting out strips because they appear quite large & this method is totally invisible plus i can't see how to avoid creating a area of 'thickness' on the back of the tyre where it would need soldering & resulting in fouling check rails & turnouts. i'm sure people have & do make them work but for me this way made more sense.

Cheers for now

Chris

• Like 1

Does this method not  cause eccentricity at the hub/axle interface?

Afternoon KalKat

It has caused no eccentricity or deformed the wheel in any way. All three axles are totally square to the wheels & with the wire being so fine & the plastic being softer than the metal it just beds in to it but still having contact with the axle. Using the GW wheel press helps greatly, i would recomend to anyone using Gibson type wheels. With the wire going into the hub at a near halfway point the axle is already true to the wheel by the time it reaches the wire when being pressed on.

I hope that helps.

Cheers

Chris