RMWeb Modular projects - module directory

RMWeb module standards here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88537-rmweb-modular-project-standards/

The purpose of this thread is to list your modules and post links to the 'module forum' where you are encouraged to make a separate thread detailing your efforts. 

May I suggest one post per person, and simply edit/update with progress as construction continues.

Please also note whether you are building any of your modules as a "master board" configuration that will have a connection between your DCC base unit and the "wider meet", for track power and DCC bus input should your equipment be responsible for powering a meet.

Many thanks :)

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 1

Last updated: 14/2/2015

My eventual aim is that all of my modules can be used together to form a complete standalone layout, or as a branch from a junction with the fiddle yard used elsewhere, or the boards as standalone boards that can be dotted throughout a modular arrangement.  Lots on the go - in various states of completion, and nowhere to put it all up!!!

My modules

Bridge over the River Axe: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88888-module-bridge-over-the-river-under-construction/?p=1543764

Single track (double ended)

Length: 4ft long self contained module. 

Description: A simple straight track scenic board with a bridge over a river.

Region/time period: Nominally Southern region, can suit any time period depending on vehicles used.

Current status: Under construction.  Scenic work almost complete.

Fiddle Yard: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92963-storagefiddle-yard-module/

Single track (single ended)

Length: 3 boards totalling 12ft long or 2 boards totalling 8ft long.

Description: The 'scenic end' of board 1 contains a single line going into a tunnel, with a signal just before the tunnel mouth.  This then fans out into 6 sidings, and in 2 board format can hold 5 carriage lengths and in 3 board format can hold 9 carriage lengths depending on the requirements of the meet.

Region/time period: N/A

Current status: Almost complete

Brockhole Corner

Single track (double ended)

Length: 2 boards at 22.5 degrees each end which can be connected to form 90 degree module or separate 45 degree modules with other boards in-between or as an S-bend. 

Description: Board 1 has the track on a small embankment above a couple of industrial units.  

Board 2 tba.

Current status: Under construction

Note: "Brockhole" is a west country dialect term for a badger's sett.  Whether any scale badgers (or mushrooms) appear on the module is yet to be decided.

Single to double junction A

Length: 4ft long, single track to double track junction, self contained module. Simple converter between single track and double track modules as required.

Current status: Under construction.  Contains a Tim Horn bridge and signalling.

Single to double junction B

Length: 33" long, single track to double track  junction, self contained module. Simple converter between single track and double track modules as required.

Current status: Under construction. 

Double track with single track junction

Length: 5ft 6" x 2ft 6" overall.  Double track with crossover and single track branch.  The single track goes "straight on" and the double track main line curves round to the right.

Estuary

Length: 4ft long, double track, self contained module. Double track bridge over a tidal estuary at low tide with mudflats based loosely on Portcreek near Poole, with inspiration from the Axe Valley near Seaton.

Return to Sender

Length: 11ft long, 7ft wide overall, single track splitting into two diverging single branches which form a reverse loop, -.  Scenic breaks make it not look like a continuous loop.  Curved boards cut for me by Tim Horn.  It's a bit of a beast of a module - but a very useful "end of the line" module to save loco runrounds or a second fiddle yard.  Features a station and a 'winter scene'.

Current status: Under construction. My entry for the RMWeb Modular Challenge - see here for construction thread.

Station - name tba

Twin track

Length: 12ft long self contained module. 

Region/time period: Network SouthEast period. 

Current status: In design stage.

Freight facility - name tba

Single track

Length: 8ft long self contained module. 

Region/time period: BR blue to present.  Actual industry to be decided once I dig my dusty stock boxes out to see what I have!

Current status: In design stage.

Airport module - name tba

Single track

Length: 8ft long self contained module. 

Region/time period: N/A although nominal Network South East. 

Current status: In design stage.  Boards will contain the "end of a runway" with a scale plane above coming in to land.  Rail level will consist of a through line and two small sidings representing a simple airport fuel delivery facility.

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 2

Shillingstone

The grand plan, I'm going to stick with 2ft connector modules, if someone joins with an 18" board that would be 3' off on each side which I think would be acceptable. I may tweak this anyway as I want the Mimic panel on the layout so using one of the extension boards may be the best place for this and having the connection at 9' from the station side of the board

post-12201-0-84784500-1407010929_thumb.jpg

Here are the boards set up in the garden. I'd already planned to use the end boards as Cassette fiddleyards so some adaption needed only to make them scenic modules.

post-12201-0-37873000-1407012213.jpg

Dont have a picture of them in the car but I have done that once so think i should be ok, Just need to think a bit about the transport for the end sections.

• Like 4

Please also note whether you are building any of your modules as a "master board" configuration that will have a connection between your DCC base unit and the "wider meet", for track power and DCC bus input should your equipment be responsible for powering a meet.

Don't want to pull this too far off-track, but you should be able to feed power into any modular joint by using stacking banana plugs.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/4mm-Stackable-test-lead-500mm-83063 for example gives you a "RTR" power bus connector with a stacking plug both ends, using one of them on a joint means you can connect a second plug from a DCC system into the same socket.

HTH

• 6 months later...