Kernow OO gauge PBA Clay Tiger hopper

DJM Dave

I am delighted to announce that DJModels have been awarded to contract to design and produce this much requested model in OO gauge for Kernow Model Rail Centre.

Work has carried on apace in the 2 weeks since it was awarded to me, and an outline drawing of this wagon by my engineers in China ( as if the poor chaps don't have enough to do at the moment ;-)) has been submitted for various dimensional checks, and approved.

• Like 6

More china clay traffic is always a good thing and these PBAs form an interesting contrast to Kernow's existing JIAs.

Now, if only some of these lovely Kernow models were released in N gauge. You really must persuade them to invest in a shrink-ray. ;)

This is good news and according to the Kernow advert they have extended the models being offered to cover the Tiphook blue livery as well as the Tiger Rail white livery, thus the new Tiphook JIAs with the ribbed lower sides will complement the existing curved side JIAs in blue or weathered finishes as well as the Tiger Rail PBAs in white and weathered finishes. Pre-ordering is now available again

Dave I'm pretty conident that somewhere in my collection I have a copy of the painting diagram for the original livery - you may already have it from Andy Jupe, but if not ping me and I'll pop it through the scanner at work (assuming I can find it again).

Jon

• RMweb Premium

In blue livery

the photos were actually taken in Bescot yard, Walsall, West Midlands* of a Tiger that had presumably been uncoupled from a clay train due to a mechanical if I can recall correctly about 1997

attachicon.gifECC Tiger 1.jpg

attachicon.gifECC Tiger 2.jpg

attachicon.gifECC Tiger 3.jpg

attachicon.gifECC Tiger 4.jpg

attachicon.gifECC Tiger 5.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Did these run in block trains? I reckon I may be able to justify a few on my layout, but may be a bit expensive to get a whole train of them. 

AFAIR 4 or 5 together, sometimes with Tullis Russel hopper like wagons.

Do you want some sets listed?

I remember the Tullis Russell train trip working from Thornton yard to Markinch would sometimes have just one of these and a brake van with a class08 on the front other times there would be a PAA included depending on demand. I just wish someone would do the Provincial liveried 08 that often ran towards the end.

Did these run in block trains? I reckon I may be able to justify a few on my layout, but may be a bit expensive to get a whole train of them. 

Heathfield loaded one or two a day, and they were tripped from and to Exeter Riverside, where they connected with the Clayliner, which is probably the working Griffgriff saw.

Here is the morning trip from Exeter Riverside to Heathfield, on this occasion the two empty clay tigers are attached to the front of a set of loaded tanks from Waterston to the Gulf Oil terminal at Heathfield, later that day a class 33 worked all the wagons back from Heathfield,

post-7081-0-44467300-1454791068.jpg

47097 passes Exeter St Davids en-route to Heathfield, 9/7/85. 

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The St. Blazey to Cliffe Vale run would be such a train. Plenty of photos around with at least ten in the consist. But, as others have suggested, smaller numbers were common in Speedlink trains. I have a photo somewhere of a 31 on the sea wall at Dawlish with just one in tow.

• RMweb Gold

Now, if only some of these lovely Kernow models were released in N gauge. You really must persuade them to invest in a shrink-ray. ;)

You're not wrong there. These are the last major gap in my wagon fleet.

They were originally intended to run as block trains to ECC's terminal in Stoke (paid for with a Section 8 grant, IIRC), but later went on to also work traffic to paper mills in Scotland, and eventually, coupled with Polybulks, on the export clay trains via the Channel Tunnel.

Apart from the obvious sources of clay in the South-West, they worked in ones and twos from the ECC ball-clay operation at Furzebrook, on the Swanage branch, which would have seen them travelling on Speedlink workings via Eastleigh.

They were originally intended to run as block trains to ECC's terminal in Stoke (paid for with a Section 8 grant, IIRC), but later went on to also work traffic to paper mills in Scotland, and eventually, coupled with Polybulks, on the export clay trains via the Channel Tunnel.

Apart from the obvious sources of clay in the South-West, they worked in ones and twos from the ECC ball-clay operation at Furzebrook, on the Swanage branch, which would have seen them travelling on Speedlink workings via Eastleigh.

Here in 1990 are a pair behind a class 47 at Beaulieu Road

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johndedman/15782420847/in/photolist-e3xxgp-e3zja8-aL13Dr-y66c3i-qyw7mr-qkPM66-um7DQY-e2hxce-e3Ed7d-q3D2Sg-xrmfDG-dVzA5r-e4BojZ-diKukd-c1MGGf-c1MG6Y-uoNi7t-cchLoN-dqA3ry-aRZe5g-djkmVR-hogGzv-A7mtnK-q4Txng-pBekoJ-qi6hZi-fN2PB4-j4Ecea-pfUZU8-oQSfKx-aTnDHx-qyedv6-qpGQD4-eikJ9r-cWhiF1-hvkker-dVgfxL-eFUYYP-rcSMw3-iVbCHw-jJX4kB-hs7Wui-gvdCbU-ekheQy-Ajy9su-ek92b8-ek922P-paD6ge-hs6K3V

cheers

Edited by Rivercider

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...