Kernow OO gauge PBA Clay Tiger hopper

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

Ok just above average Ok. There are aspects that have been nicely executed but one or two that just look weak compared to the like of the Bachmann Polybulk that raised the bar of expectation.

Which are...?

Blood/stone.

Ok just above average Ok. There are aspects that have been nicely executed but one or two that just look weak compared to the like of the Bachmann Polybulk that raised the bar of expectation.

The Bachmann Polybulk with an RRP of £59.95 at 2016 prices, £15 higher than the Tiger?  I don't really know how you can compare the two anyway, they are totally different models?

Mine arrived yesterday and I have to say I disagree - a lovely wagon bristling with detail but also has robust feel to it. Very pleased ... shall probably order more... 

Bruce

• Like 1

Mine arrived yesterday and I have to say I disagree - a lovely wagon bristling with detail but also has robust feel to it. Very pleased ... shall probably order more... 

Bruce

I am glad you like them. All four of mine display very fuzzy/poor definition of the blue line along the hopper, especially at the left hand end of both sides. I haven't condemned these wagons or returned them as I believe they represent fair value for money.

The Bachmann Polybulk with an RRP of £59.95 at 2016 prices, £15 higher than the Tiger?  I don't really know how you can compare the two anyway, they are totally different models?

I think you can compare two wagons very easily. The standard of decoration on the Bachmann Polybulks that I have is excellent, basically perfect. The Clay Tigers are just Ok, see post 55.

I have also modelled North American for the last 22 years and it really doesn't matter if a freight car cost $8 or $50 dollars modellers still expect the features being offered on that car to be executed well.

These Clay Tigers are worth the money if your layout requires them but they are not exceptional.

Thankfully I weather freight stock so the issue is not a deal breaker.

Post 48 asked for my opinion and I have given an honest opinion.

I also had a problem with one wagon that I will not disclose but it was replaced in super quick time by Kernow Model Centre, excellent customer service as usual.

I think you can compare two wagons very easily. The standard of decoration on the Bachmann Polybulks that I have is excellent, basically perfect. The Clay Tigers are just Ok, see post 55.

I have also modelled North American for the last 22 years and it really doesn't matter if a freight car cost $8 or $50 dollars modellers still expect the features being offered on that car to be executed well.

These Clay Tigers are worth the money if your layout requires them but they are not exceptional.

Thankfully I weather freight stock so the issue is not a deal breaker.

Post 48 asked for my opinion and I have given an honest opinion.

I also had a problem with one wagon that I will not disclose but it was replaced in super quick time by Kernow Model Centre, excellent customer service as usual.

Only had chance to inspect these at GCR model event.  I have some on order, but due to work commitments not been able to re-arrange delivery yet. On the samples I saw I thought the blue was slightly thin. and yes, sightly fuzzy.  On Pendleford sidings photos on rmweb, the line looks thicker.  Personally, with the DJM Class 71 I received, I were not too 'impressed' with the printing definition/finishing.  The yellow ends tended to 'bleed' into the blue and the white numbers tended to show the blue beneath.  

Going forward, just wondering if it is the actual wagon people are a little unhappy with, or whether its DJM's suppliers, which moving forward, DJM need to use the feedback in a positive way, to improve the quality of livery application/finish on future products.  Personally for me, the one thing that stuck out was the lack of red, on the door opening ratchets.  Nothing massive that cannot be corrected with a drop of red paint, but would have added a splash of colour!  

Still looking forward to mine....I don't think I could make and paint a kit as good!

Regards,

Personally for me, the one thing that stuck out was the lack of red, on the door opening ratchets.  Nothing massive that cannot be corrected with a drop of red paint, but would have added a splash of colour!  

Still looking forward to mine....I don't think I could make and paint a kit as good!

Regards,

Oh that'll be my fault as non of the photos I supplied shows anything other than white for the door opening ratchets that I can see. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/trlchinacalypba

Edited by hmrspaul

• 4 weeks later...

I received one this morning. First impressions are good. I like the etched walkways, the bogies are nice with in line brake shoes for 00 gauge wheels and the printing/paintwork on my example is well executed. Good pipework detail and handrails.

One thing I noticed straight away is the overall size of the model. I'm assuming that all the main dimensions are accurately scaled up from the prototype and yet when placed against other stock, to my eyes the model looks slightly lower and 'thinner' than it should when compared to some of the locos and wagons in my possession. I remember seeing full size PBA's and Polybulks in the same train around St Blazey in the late 80's/early 90's and while obviously being of a different design, they both looked 'massive'. When I place the model PBA alongside the Bachmann Polybulk, they almost appear to me to be built to a slightly different scale. Maybe the Bachmann Polybulk model is overscale? Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

At the end of the day, I'm glad I've got one and will probably order a few more (when funds permit...) :) 

I received one this morning. First impressions are good. I like the etched walkways, the bogies are nice with in line brake shoes for 00 gauge wheels and the printing/paintwork on my example is well executed. Good pipework detail and handrails.

One thing I noticed straight away is the overall size of the model. I'm assuming that all the main dimensions are accurately scaled up from the prototype and yet when placed against other stock, to my eyes the model looks slightly lower and 'thinner' than it should when compared to some of the locos and wagons in my possession. I remember seeing full size PBA's and Polybulks in the same train around St Blazey in the late 80's/early 90's and while obviously being of a different design, they both looked 'massive'. When I place the model PBA alongside the Bachmann Polybulk, they almost appear to me to be built to a slightly different scale. Maybe the Bachmann Polybulk model is overscale? Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

At the end of the day, I'm glad I've got one and will probably order a few more (when funds permit...) :)

Before criticising doing a little research might have been useful. The diagrams are easily available on the Barrowmere site. You are comparing very different wagons. The early Polybulks are shorter, wider with longer bodies and slightly higher, others may be different. Look how narrow the PBA is http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/trlchinacalypba/e2ce79a6d . I've not seen the model so you may be correct, but you should get a micrometer out before criticing.

Paul

The 'Tiger' wagon is thinner because it's longer; else it wouldn't be within the loading gauge. I built one about twenty years ago, using drawings from various sources, and was quite surprised how 'thin' it looked, in comparison with wagons like the original Polybulks (which I'd also modelled). Don't forget, also, that it was designed with a specific, relatively dense, product in mind, whilst the Polybulks were intended to deal with a variety of traffics, from grain, via urea to china clay.

• Like 2

Before criticising doing a little research might have been useful. The diagrams are easily available on the Barrowmere site. You are comparing very different wagons. The early Polybulks are shorter, wider with longer bodies and slightly higher, others may be different. Look how narrow the PBA is http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/trlchinacalypba/e2ce79a6d . I've not seen the model so you may be correct, but you should get a micrometer out before criticing.

Paul

I'm just making an observation and expressing an opinion Paul and I was interested to hear what other owners of the model thought. I have studied your excellent wagon photo site for many years and I am extremely grateful for your efforts in making the valuable photos available to all of us. I'm fully aware that the Polybulk and the PBA are very different wagons - I spent far too much time in the late 80's and early 90's chasing the PBA and Polybulk wagons in Cornwall, Devon, the Potteries and Scotland  :biggrin_mini2: . I appreciate that the model may have been scaled from official diagrams but it still doesn't look quite right to me.

I've studied several PBA photos of my own , on your site and in the mass of wagon and freight books in my possession. As an example when comparing the classic shots of a PBA trundling down the Auchmuty branch next to an 08 and my Bachmann/Kernow modelling equivalent, to my eyes at least, the model PBA looks lower and not quite as 'chunky' as it should.  I've a poor photo of my own taken from the bridge that overlooked the yard at Gloucester that shows 4 PBA's coupled to 2 Polybulks. When I try to recreate this photo in model form, the PBA looks too small in comparison to the Bachmann model.  As I mentioned in my original post, maybe the Bachmann Polybulk is oversized, or maybe their 08 is...

I applaud Kernow for bringing out this model and I would be interested to hear anyone else's comments about it from other modellers who actually has one in their possession.

Edited by JohnH
  • Like 1

He hasn't criticised, he's said "I think it's possibly undersized, anyone got any insight?"...

No, I'm simply suggesting that measuring the model and comparing the results with the diagram or drawings would be preferable to simply shooting from the hip.

Apart from providing Kernow with a few photos (unfortunately omitting the red door markings) I've had nothing to do with this model. But, like a few others on here, I am getting pretty upset with the continual criticism. I'm old, so am squarely in the "you've never had it so good" camp when it comes to Model Railways. I have wagon models that are both exceptionally accurate but also finished to an amazing standard - something I could never do. I desisted from making the comments Brian made, but when I saw the real thing I was surprised how 'lightweight' it appeared compared with Polybulks appeared massive. Just look at my first view of a Polybulk http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/belgianpolybulk/e32f0ab58

Paul

No, I'm simply suggesting that measuring the model and comparing the results with the diagram or drawings would be preferable to simply shooting from the hip.

I'm not 'simply shooting from the hip'  - please read my posts above.  You also say you haven't seen the model yet - I have the benefit when I comment, of having an actual production model in front of me as I type... 

I'm old as well Paul. The standard of build and finish on recent models is incredible. The Bachmann Polybulk quality of finish and printing is breathtaking as are Heljan Cargowaggons, Dapol Silver Bullets and many, many others. They probably all have little faults and you either live with them or vote with your wallet. I could never build or finish anything remotely to the standard of current 4mm RTR stock and that's why I bought the Kernow PBA - it's a model I've been waiting for for a long time and I was glad when DJM took over the job from Dapol. I like Daves approach to model development and how he listens to the response from potential customers. I think that's why I was slightly disapointed when I received the model in the post. Maybe I was expecting too much.

My original post #60 was purely to give my own opinion on a model in response to other modellers request's for views on the Kernow PBA wagon. I've commented positively on several aspects of the model as well as having some reservations. I've qualified all my comments with the proviso 'to my eyes' and 'it appears to me' - ie: it's my opinion and I could well be wrong.

However, I feel to be criticised for simply expressing an opinion on a forum, isn't a good thing.

I was with Chris when we extensively photographed and measured the real thing at Burngullow a few years ago. I can tell you that the model is dimensionally accurate.

I also have 5 S-kits models and when first built, I thought they looked narrow.

Andrew

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

.....and reading the review in the latest "Railway Modeller" they state that "the KMRC model squares up perfectly to the dimensions given in the scale drawing published with the late Len Vass's scratchbuilding exercise - see RM January 1991"

Keith

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

.....and reading the review in the latest "Railway Modeller" they state that "the KMRC model squares up perfectly to the dimensions given in the scale drawing published with the late Len Vass's scratchbuilding exercise - see RM January 1991"

Keith

Hmm, having used his drawings to build a Yeoman PTA, that's not a recommendation.

Jon

My four pristine blue JIAs have arrived and they look pretty good in Tiphhook blue. It is said never to assume anything. The holes for the brake pipes in the white versions were on the generous side but not on the blue ones, as I discovered when I attempted to stick in a pipe with superglue on the end. My fault. A little care and the problem has been sorted out. I also found that, whilst these wagons are hardly stiff, they are not the most free of runners. A tiny drop of Woodland Scenics light oil on the pinpoints has transformed them.

Whilst I am not an expert on the detail, I am very pleased with these wagons. Thank you Kernow!

Reading the thread and the comments regarding overall size, I could not remember seeing the two together.  Looking to find pictures of both I browsed the internet and found an Ian Cuthbertson picture https://www.flickr.com/photos/locohunter/12875509344  this shows them next to each other.  The clay tiger has a flat lower side then bows out.  The polybulk curves straight out from the solebar.  Maybe an optical illusion.

It would be interesting to note the loading capacity in cubic metres.  I think maybe the Clay Tiger was built for a specific product, where as the Polybulk could take any commodity.  When the polybulks ran in China Clay traffic to Europe the outer bays were not loaded.  The wagon could take its payload without these being loaded.  In layer life when Polybulks were fully loaded to capacity with powdered limestone it distorted the bodies...

Edited by The Bigbee Line

I can find plenty of photographs of the white PBAs as a single wagon or a pair of wagons in freight consists but such use seems rarer once they were refurbed as JIAs in blue Tiphook livery.

Can anybody point me to photos showing that they still worked as wagonloads in the later livery or were they then mainly used in block formations?

I've seen the Rail Express article and it doesn't specifically mention later individual use.

Thanks,

Chris