North Devon line (was Eggesford July 2014)

Ramblin Rich

• RMweb Gold

Edit - originally modern photos of Eggesford but expanded to become a general thread on the North Devon 'Tarka' line. Please feel free to add anything relevant.

Also worth a look, previous thread related to 1980s freight traffic

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/34499-north-devon-line-freight-in-1980s/?p=365860

I took a trip to the model railway show at Barnstaple on 26th July 2014, using the North Devon 'Tarka' line, enjoying a very pleasant tip in (mostly) bright sunshine. On the way back, there was a delay at Eggesford waiting for the 'down' train - the conductor announced that the delay was "due to the large number of people taking part on the 'Rail & Ale Trail'"! So, I hopped off to grab a few photos of this very picturesque station. The passing trains take single-line tokens from cabins on the platforms, with telephone authorisation from the signaller (at Crediton I believe) - the so called 'No signaller key token' system

The train arriving at Barnstaple - 143 618 + 153 372 (much prefer to travel in 153s due to better window-to-seat ratio than 150s and MUCH better ride than 143s!

post-6864-0-03488700-1407363629_thumb.jpg

Waiting at Eggesford:

post-6864-0-56595000-1407363657_thumb.jpg

Another passenger awaiting progress!

post-6864-0-98248200-1407363678_thumb.jpg

The down train arriving in the loop (150 246); the driver stops here to pull a cord to lower the level crossing barriers (although this time, the crew on 'our' train operated the barriers from controls on the up platform):

post-6864-0-45720800-1407363702_thumb.jpg

Down train moving over the crossing, with thumbs up form one of our crew:

post-6864-0-14942500-1407363725_thumb.jpg

Passing our train:

post-6864-0-95959100-1407363745_thumb.jpg

And stopping at the down platform - there's a big 'stagger' to the platforms due to the original down platform being undermined by the river in the early 1960s

post-6864-0-60932000-1407363764_thumb.jpg

View of the attractive station:

post-6864-0-47040000-1407363785_thumb.jpg

The down train got it's token issued straight away - presumably because our train had already inserted its token Eggesford - Barnstaple token in the machine, allowing the token to be released for the down train on the other side, whereas the other Eggesford - Crediton token had to be inserted on the down side then released by the signaller for us.

post-6864-0-44857300-1407363810_thumb.jpg

Then I quickly jumped on board to carry on to Exeter...!

Edited by Ramblin Rich
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

'Modernised' as in removing the signalling, but the level crossing operation seems ramshackle - why not a treadle to operate the gates, in the down direction, instead of a pull cord which the driver has to stop alongside? The token exchange seems dated too - i understand the token machines have to be manually 're-balanced' as the tokens are eventually all removed from the 'down' machine and deposited in the 'up' side, I would think that a radio system would work better (although the mechanical tokens do  have the advantage that the trains don't need additional equipment).

There have been hints that improvements to this & other level crossings are under consideration to improve end-to-end timings - we'll have to wait and see.

No matter what, I do think this line is a bit special hence my ongoing interest...  :)

• Like 1

Somebody on the signalling side may put me right but I believe as these are full barriers the crossing must be checked as clear (in this case by the driver) before proceeding. If they were lowered by a treadle further out the train would still have to stop and carry out this check as there is no signaller/CCTV + signals here to do this.

This is different to automatic half barriers where there is always an "escape route" for road users.These are treadle/track circuit operated and taken at line speed if the system is fault free (as indicated to supervising signal box or locally by drivers white light).

I took a trip to the model railway show at Barnstaple on 26th July, using the north Devon 'Tarka' line, enjoying a very pleasant tip in (mostly) bright sunshine. On the way back, there was a delay at Eggesford waiting for the 'down' train - the conductor announced that the delay was "due to the large number of people taking part on the 'Rail & Ale Trail'"! So, I hopped off to grab a few photos of this very picturesque station. The passing trains take single-line tokens from cabins on the platforms, with telephone authorisation from the signaller (at Crediton I believe) - the so called 'No signaller key token' system

Interesting you mention 'Rail & Ale', I have travelled over the line twice recently and on both trips on a saturday there were Ale Trailers travelling.

On the first trip there was a group of 14 on my train from St Davids, at the first pub I called in the Landlord said he often gets parties of up to 25.

The second trip (for the Barnstaple Model Railway Exhibition) there were 7 more.

This must be quite an important revenue source for the line, these mid/late saturday morning departures would be quite lightly loaded without them I assume,

cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi 'floss' thanks for clarifying regarding the treadle operation - I still think it would make sense to automatically lower the barriers and the train could approach at caution, ready to stop if needed. I feel sorry for the driver having to stop in the right place to operate the pull cord. I had enough problems stopping a 1 ton car at the right place to insert the toll fees on French autoroutes.... I suppose there must be rules governing this type of operation though.

Roundhouse, I agree it was a shame to loose the signal box, I keep looking at the photos Dave Vinsen 'eggesford box' has made available & thinking the 'plywood wonder' would be relatively easy to model (although I like the LSWR boxes like Credtion / Topsham more!)

Kenny - sorry, I must have missed you at Barnstaple! 

Mickey- I would have liked to get some more shots of the buildings from the opposite side, but wasn't sure how much time I'd have, or if I might not get back across to catch the train! Sazzle would not have been impressed if I'd not got back in time for packing suitcases (we went on holiday next day, hence delay on posting these pictures! :) )

Edited by Ramblin Rich

• RMweb Gold

I rather like the "quick snaps" type record of a station, they somehow seem to show the atmosphere of the place better than carefully taken pictures.

Absolutely. I think some photos look almost staged. Like the thumb up in one of the pictures, it just looks normal.

Regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

How do they go about rebalancing the tokens?

The Mobile Operations Manager moves a load of them physically from one end of the token section to the other, where they are needed, and in conjunction with the signaller's permission, of course.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps the otters might interfere with the treadles? :-)

Thanks for posting Rich - a favourite location for me, have used it in the past en route to the Fox and Hounds for sea trout fishing on the Taw. Havent been there for a while - owners used to be super folk

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Rail and Ale? On a branch line with interesting and unusual working? I'm in!

Info on rail ale trail. http://www.railaletrail.com/tarkamap.htm

Other branch lines also available! ;)

Have to say I really enjoyed the run on the line, a bit of a gem and it was nice to experience a more traditional slower pace! :)

I'd love to have experienced the line when loco haulage and signalling still in place, the service today is more frequent and better used.

Edited by Ramblin Rich
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a good weekend to me!

For me, something like that would be my ultimate layout. Minimal railway, interesting operation and plenty of scenery.

If only for the time, space, money...

• Like 1

Thanks cap'n. So just a case of passenger seat of the van and back to the start!

I had a google before I asked and came upon this article. Sure I've seen that name before....

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/Track-and-signalling/375m-improvements-for-tarka-line

All it needs is for the tokens to be moved between the machines at Eggesford, Crediton to Eggesford tokens to be moved from the down side to the upside and the Eggesford to Barnstaple tokens to be moved from the upside to the downside.

If you think about it, the driver will take a Crediton to Eggesford token and put it away at Eggesford (with the token staying there), they will then take an Eggesford to Barnstaple token before returning it to the upside machine at Eggesford (and that token staying there), they will then withdraw a fresh Crediton to Eggesford token and will give that to the signalman at Crediton, the signalman will then put the token into his machine before removing it again to give to the next down train and the cycle will start again.

The end result is that all the Crediton to Eggesford tokens will end up on the downside at Eggesford and all the Eggesford to Barnstaple tokens will end up on the upside at Eggesford.

Edited by royaloak
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Liked the photos Rich. Eggesford Box closed Winter 1987 - at the time it must be remembered BR was really struggling financially and so the washing line option to activate the level crossing was a good fit for purpose option. Cheaper and simpler than track circuits, used by the trains passage to activate the crossing.

When Eggesford went as did Barnstaple signal box - in the year when the Barnstaple freight trip ceased (May 1987). Passenger numbers weren't high - nor were the volume of trains. Looking wider the North Devon link road construction started - my father and his BR colleagues thought the Barny line may have closed as a consequence - thank goodness things are very different now as to train numbers and passengers.

Regards Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul! It is encouraging how the train services & passenger numbers have picked up on the Devon & Cornwall branches; there's figures on the Tarka Rail association website showing numbers went from just under 200,00 in 2001 to almost 600,00 in 2013 - almost tripled! The more regular service pattern must help too. The 1980 timetable I've seen showed just 8 trains on weekdays, with gaps around 2.5 hours between trains; not the sort of 'service' likely to encourage growth....

• Like 1

Living along the line west of Crediton it serves as a "lifeline" to a great many local folk ( me included).

Since retirement and taken a conscious decision to "scrap" my car I use this line to access the world literally!

The service is in my humble opinion excellent for us locals, having only encountered only one mishap a couple of weeks ago when having made my request to the guard to stop at my local station lo and behold it whizzed straight through not only my stop but two others too!!! It was a very warm day and with a bag of frozen food in hand I had to change at Eggesford and make the trip back :)

For anyone interested in the signal box I can inform you that it ended up at a Devon County Council Outdoor Activity Centre about half a mile away with a view to being used as a "camping barn" and rescources building. Due to safety requirements and legislation I was the person who advised that it was both unsafe and inappropriate for said use ( which I must say was a difficult decision and dilemma due to my official position as a Building Control Officer and my personal interest in railway preservation !) Safety of people always comes first.

Sadly the box was only partially erected with the remaining pieces rotting away beyond use never to be restored again :(

Long live the Tarka Line !

• Like 1

Eggesford   31405   destined Exeter   June 1986

If the technology has worked - Ive inserted a photo I took at Eggesford in June 1986 - 31405 - it worked the branch in the morning - then failed - so 33062 (I think worked the Saturday afternoon workings. 

Paul

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Liked the photos Rich. Eggesford Box closed Winter 1987 - at the time it must be remembered BR was really struggling financially and so the washing line option to activate the level crossing was a good fit for purpose option. Cheaper and simpler than track circuits, used by the trains passage to activate the crossing.

If memory serves (and it's not that long ago that I'm thinking of), the 'washing line' pull-operated driver activation for the barriers is a comparatively late addition, within the last 5 or 6 years approx. Prior to that, was there not a more conventional control, which required the traincrew to actually get out of the train and onto the ground to activate the barriers? The 'washing line' method means that no one has to get out and the driver simply leans out of the cab window, thus saving valuable minutes...

• Like 1