Hailsham

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys n gals,

I've been thinking about my plans for my first module since the standards were finalised (I plan to build 2 plus 2 scenic bits). I was considering doing a "what-if" of Hailsham station set in the late 80's / early 90's with it having a changeable end to allow it to be a through station or a terminus. I was considering have a small single road station and possibly a couple of sidings that hadn't been lifted yet along with signs of where the track used to run. While researching this I managed to find a track plan of Hailsham from 1962 and think that it is actually quite an interesting plan and would have quite a lot of operational interest.

So what I would like to know is what others think about the plan and which they think would be better as a module. SHould I stick with my late 8's plan or should I go for what it really looked like in the 60's? I have attached the trackplan to the bottom of the post

post-22762-0-80691400-1491924309_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Nice idea and Hailsham was actually a terminus for s few years after the line to the Norht shut in the mid sixties.

As to what period to model I would say depends on how much space you have to build the yard. To compress the yard by much would spoil it IMHO.

Also it depends on how often you plan to operate it as a stand alone layout. Just a single line and a couple of PW sidings you might quickly get bored.

• RMweb Gold

I had considered both those things but in all honesty as I have another layout to build as well as this one I don't think it will get much use outside of modular meetings / exhibitions (If we go to any). I will not have a problem with space to build it the ends will have to meet the 18" in the standard but after that it wont be a problem.

I was aware of Hailsham being a terminus for a while and that was part of my inspiration as Hailsham was big enough that in reality it should of been kept open and in fact the local councils (Hailsham Town and Wealden District) are talking about was to re-instate the line again with the most likely option looking like a light railway running alongside the cuckoo trail to Polegate.

It was also a Terminus at the start of its life but I dont think I'll go that far back in its history lol. Although I do have a few period loco's and stock lol.

Gary

Some thoughts to ponder.

post-8328-0-58081200-1407404020_thumb.jpg

If you don't mind "straightening out" (or just building angled boards) that plan lends itself very well to "modularism" (if that's a word).

Module 1.  Single track and Y junction to double track - simply move the track positioning to fit modular standards.

Module 2. The long headshunt and what looks like open scenery.   I'd possibly add in a crossover at the left hand end of that board to add flexibility for connection with other modules as standalone.

Module 3.  The station, maybe 10 or 12 ft long? The road bridge to the right gives a nice scenic break.

Module 4.  Essentially a "twin track to single track" converter board if the track is angled slightly to make the cross-join.

A possible change would be to have in place of module 4 a short board with buffer stops and track (perhaps with crossover to allow run-round) heading off into the undergrowth (or lifted) to allow the layout to be operated as a terminus. if required.

With a little bit of fiddling so that the single and double track at module ends is in the right position, you have a very nice perhaps 20-24ft "all in one" layout but the basic station itself is probably 8-12ft (without laying it all out properly I can't tell).

My only thought is that the freight sidings obviously need the long headshunt (module 2) to operate properly so it may be that 2 and 3 actually become one module which then gives you a bit more flexibility in track laying.

When you start looking at existing plans it is actually quite easy to see how plans can be broken up into modular arrangements and board 4, for example, could be used elsewhere within a meet as a simple twin to single track conversion as long as there are double track modules to the right that can be joined up.  Module 1 could also be used away from the main layout.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that breakdown 'nut. I like that. So I think that is how I shall build it. although I may scale the station down a bit and arrange it so that the long headshunt and sidings can retain there length. I agree with what you say about adding a crossover so I shall probably incorporate that into the plan as well.

Gary

It also enables you to concentrate on one bit at a time - building a 24ft layout can be overwhelming but if you can break it down into distinct units like I did (although there are no doubt other combinations if you look in at it in more detail) then you can do a bit at a time.  Module 4, for example, is fairly "nondescript" and I would perhaps suggest that as a first foray into modules, and something that could easily be bought along to a meet sooner rather than later whereas the 12ft main station may be a year away.

Of course, all a module needs to work is the frame built, track laid and wired up - scenery isn't necessarily important to have complete - so you can probably get that board up and running by the end of the month :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

you can probably get that board up and running by the end of the month :mosking:

If only 'nut. I actually have an order for some track coming in later this week which will mean I can actually lay the track for my layout. (I've been lacking some points) But once that is running I shall probably start on the modules before doing the scenics on my layout, and I should have somewhere close to 75ft of flexitrack spare and lots of peco streamline points (all wrong for my last set) so may get it running quite quickly

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gareth, yes that is why I choose Hailsham. I actually grew up in Shinewater and used to go to my friends in Stone Cross most weekends.

I haven't looked at other stations on the Cuckoo but that is mostly because as far as I am aware Hailsham (Except of the junctions with the mainline) was the busiest station on the line and therefore the most interesting from an operational point of view.  Although I would be more than happy to be corrected on that. I had considered old Polegate with the junction to Hailsham but thought that would be a bit to busy for this.

Gary

• RMweb Gold

That looks like an ideal station for a modular set-up. With a bit of care, you should be able to arrange things so that it is usable in either single or double-track mode.

And you can keep someone busy shunting the yard while traffic passes.

Hi Gary,

Except for the last days of the line anything that passed through Hailsham passed through the rest of the stations. Hellingly was the simplest station initially but the private line to the hospital adds interest. Horam had the Express Dairies depot and Heathfield was the same, if not bigger than Hailsham. The rest of the line was similar to Horam.

Still Hailsham is a good choice with a handy bridge one end for a scenic break.

I actually grew up in Hailsham but Hellingly would have been my local station. Just a pity it closed a couple of years to early.

Gareth

• RMweb Gold

I had read somewhere that there were some single carriage services that had terminated at Hailsham and turned around back to Eastbourne. I can't remember where I read it though. As for for it closing to early The Cuckoo Trail had been opened before my first visit to Hailsham as a child.

Gary

Hi Gary, think that both versions have potential but the 60's is going to be the more interesting to operate. I think Roundhouse makes a good point about too much compression on the yard if you squeeze it in but given the number of points and a target width of 18' for the layout I would reccomend planning that area out in more detail before jumping straight in with the easier modules. I can see 4 points on the top line so if you allowed 12' per point then thats a full 4" module, if you dragged one left onto module 2 that would then mean that you had a potential of getting most of your yard throat and some sidings on one board and leaves you an option to the right about how much compression you do apply.

I think having and/or retaining a double track option would be a consideration. On the main forum Kenton has raised this and whilst it seems and will be a challenge I dont see why we couldn't go for it in SECAG ? Although technically Shillingstone isa single line station I'm planning to extend the down line to the end of each of the connector modules so they could either be connected or buffered up depending.

• RMweb Gold

Hi GRC, Thanks for that I will be having a play with the plans in AnyRail over the next day or 2. I like your idea about moving the yard about. I will upload my first idea for a proper plan as soon as I have it ready.

Gary

Also it depends on how often you plan to operate it as a stand alone layout. Just a single line and a couple of PW sidings you might quickly get bored.

This is probably the most important point to settle in your mind along with era (which really matters very little in the overall module scheme of things - everyone will simply have to put up with the wrong trains for a particular section of track running through their modules. At least for some of the time.

I see the end modules being of general scenic use to the overall scheme of things. But just do not believe that the station will fit on a single module (in fact I doubt if it will fit on much less that 12ft (3-4 modules) without serious over-compression and losing much of the undoubted appeal of the station.

That's not trashing the idea but is simply suggesting that the layout (that is the station) is given more prominence and less compression. The layout constructed on several boards that are not modules by the "standards" or seen to operate without each other.

It is also a very big project. Even taking the simplest "module" (on the right of the plan), very useful and has scenic potential as a cutting with bridges either end. That is quite a lot of work on its own. Doing the station justice, the ultimate goal, is likely to take you quite a while and meanwhile everyone else is meeting up with simpler (but more instant) contributions.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to meet up in a really big hall, full of many varied modules, 10 stations, 5 goods yards, and scale miles of intervening countryside, with fully time-tabled passenger and goods operation, maybe 10 or so locos in full operation or more - but somehow I think we are going to call 3-4 naked modules connected with one loco running smoothly from one end to the other within 6 months one resounding success and a clear step to the future.

Hi Kenton, to me, a "module" is a specific scene (or part of an overall design) regardless of length and the amount of boards - hence my interpretation above giving four modules but possibly 6 boards in total.

Hence the "station module" (3 in my diagram) may well be two or three boards that form that "module".

Certainly there's no way you'd get the whole station in 4ft :)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kenton. I see what you are saying and you make a very good point. To give an Idea of scale I was thinking of trying to make the entire thing about 20ft long, with the station taking about half that space and the rest compressed to fit. I feel quite confident about my ability to build the buildings as I have already scratchbuilt all the stations for my other layout. These took me less that a week to do all 3. However I have not done a lot of scenic work in the past so do not really know how long this would take me but it would need some changes to the hill structure to make it fit in with standards but definitely needs the bridge as in real life that is the only remaining sign the railway ever ran through there although I don't think the one there now is original in any way.

Gary

However I have not done a lot of scenic work in the past so do not really know how long this would take me

I'm sure if you ask nicely you'd get some help with the tricky bits :)  I have a cheapie static grass "thingy" which I'd be more than happy to come down and show you how it works when you're at that stage - could probably do the whole layout in a day.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks 'nut. That would be really appreciated. I have a manual static grass thing and a bag of static grass from the scenic stuff that my friend got me but having watched videos I'm not sure how good I would be with it

I just got one of these ACME Grass'O'Matic contraptions from China. £23.00. Tried it quickly last night to see if it works. Seems to do the job, but will need some more practice!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GJ05-Mini-Flocking-Static-Grass-Applicator-SCENIC-MODELLING-NEW-/121403325370?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1c4433bbba

They do another similar one that uses an mains adapter instead off batteries. (GJ04 model?)

post-3744-0-11742300-1407514635_thumb.jpg

Edited to add photo.

Archived