New 4mm Heljan Class 33/0 Where to fit the speaker

dasatcopthorne

Hi Guys.

Am about to order my 4th Biffo sound chip for a 33 (fantastic sounds) but have opened the new 33/0 only to find a new 'thing' under the roof which has a series of holes moulded into it as though it's meant for a speaker. However, it's not under the fan but under a roof panel at the opposite end.

Any ideas anybody or do I just get on with putting one in the tank as usual?

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Yes the new addition Heljan scuppers any chance of fitting a meaningful speaker in the bodyshell....

however Biffo does now sell a speaker unit for the class 27 as the battery box and tank arrangement are the same footprint as 33 hopefully he might offer the same setup for it but with 33 tanks and battery boxes.

You could get a standard 20x40 under the fan grill, but I doubt you would be able to get any meaningful seal on it

Biffo does indeed do a set for the 33 as well, hot off the 3D printing press just this week. As with the 26 and 27 they replace the centre section of the Heljan underframe moulding. The 20x40 speaker is a simple clip-fit and very little effort is needed to make the resulting enclosure airtight. The sideframes clip straight back on and the complete assembly clips into the Heljan chassis in the normal manner. Simples.

They are crisply moulded in black and can be used with the v4 4 ohm or v3.5 100 ohm speakers . Even usable with Zimo chips if you use an appropriate 20x40 speaker. Price TBC but I don't think anyone will complain. You can get them direct from myself or Charles will have them on the DC Kits website shortly I suspect.

Bif

Biffo does indeed do a set for the 33 as well, hot off the 3D printing press just this week. As with the 26 and 27 they replace the centre section of the Heljan underframe moulding. The 20x40 speaker is a simple clip-fit and very little effort is needed to make the resulting enclosure airtight. The sideframes clip straight back on and the complete assembly clips into the Heljan chassis in the normal manner. Simples.

They are crisply moulded in black and can be used with the v4 4 ohm or v3.5 100 ohm speakers . Even usable with Zimo chips if you use an appropriate 20x40 speaker. Price TBC but I don't think anyone will complain. You can get them direct from myself or Charles will have them on the DC Kits website shortly I suspect.

Bif

Damn.

Spoke to Charlie this morning and he said he didn't know when he would have these.

Ordered a 33 chip anyway.

Dave

Copthorne

It will be worth the wait Dave :scratchhead: ! I bought one of Biff's resin tanks for my Heljan 27 certainly saves all the ' cutting - huffin - and !!!**** ing. I also took the opportunity of sealing off the rear of the speaker - just to give it that extra ' growl '

Bill.

It will be worth the wait Dave :scratchhead: ! I bought one of Biff's resin tanks for my Heljan 27 certainly saves all the ' cutting - huffin - and !!!**** ing. I also took the opportunity of sealing off the rear of the speaker - just to give it that extra ' growl '

Bill.

Thanks for the tip, Bill but too late mate. Done it today.

By the way, it sounds to me that you put a bare speaker in the tanks. Is that right? I fit them in their plastic enclosure.

Dave

No ! Dave - I used the speaker that came with it which clips into 4 pins moulded into the resin tanks. The resin replacement acts as the enclosure but there is still some air space around the speaker! Maybe Biffoman can confirm this. It still produces a fantastic sound. :sungum: !

Bill.

Here's a quick photo of my replacement centre-sections for the 26 & 27 on the left and the 33 on the right. Points to note;

Thin clips along the inside edges to push-fit and retain the 20x40 speaker

Hole for speaker wires

Rebate for speaker wires along the back

Original Heljan sideframes clip onto the sides

The completed assembly clips to the underframe in the normal way

Overall finished width is the same as the Heljan model

Usable with any 20x40 speaker so suitable for v3.5 & v4 ESU chips and Zimo etc

3D printed in black

These should be considered complimentary to the resin ones that Charlie has had made. Charlie's are a 'one-piece solution' with the side detail moulded on (ie you don't use the Heljan tank sides). Their main advantage is that they take the 28x40 Alan Butcher speaker which sounds better than the 20x40, but the completed assembly is slightly oversize and there is less cosmetic relief in the finished sides. The speaker is 8 ohm which cannot be used with the v3.5 chip. So both solutions have their merits. Either will sound far better than a 23mm round speaker in the body. Both types are available from Charlie and you can PM or email me about mine.

Bif

post-2420-0-93919700-1408806232_thumb.jpg

Here's a quick photo of my replacement centre-sections for the 26 & 27 on the left and the 33 on the right. Points to note;

Thin clips along the inside edges to push-fit and retain the 20x40 speaker

Hole for speaker wires

Rebate for speaker wires along the back

Original Heljan sideframes clip onto the sides

The completed assembly clips to the underframe in the normal way

Overall finished width is the same as the Heljan model

Usable with any 20x40 speaker so suitable for v3.5 & v4 ESU chips and Zimo etc

3D printed in black

These should be considered complimentary to the resin ones that Charlie has had made. Charlie's are a 'one-piece solution' with the side detail moulded on (ie you don't use the Heljan tank sides). Their main advantage is that they take the 28x40 Alan Butcher speaker which sounds better than the 20x40, but the completed assembly is slightly oversize and there is less cosmetic relief in the finished sides. The speaker is 8 ohm which cannot be used with the v3.5 chip. So both solutions have their merits. Either will sound far better than a 23mm round speaker in the body. Both types are available from Charlie and you can PM or email me about mine.

Bif

Thanks, Bif.

Do these mouldings give you the correct width of tank for the Class 33/2?

Dave

Archived