Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo

Kernow Model Rail Centre to produce GWR 1361 0-6-0 Saddle Tank

• Please log in to reply
484 replies to this topic

#476 GWR8700

GWR8700

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 21:45

Any reason why Kernow are not doing plain green or Great <> Western livery of this?

Especially when they are doing the works/photo grey livery?

I too would have been interested in one in that livery, quite surprised that neither Heljan or Kernow attempted this.  Fingers crossed for a future release

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#477 Ozexpatriate

Ozexpatriate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,849 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon USA

Posted 17 October 2017 - 22:23

I too would have been interested in one in that livery, quite surprised that neither Heljan or Kernow attempted this.  Fingers crossed for a future release

I would be very surprised if it didn't come down to having the right photographic evidence available when liveries were chosen.

• Agree x 1

#478 TERRYSVR

TERRYSVR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationBewdley

Posted 18 October 2017 - 15:22

Has anyone managed a review of these?

#479 Ian Hargrave

Ian Hargrave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 15:38

Apparently Hornby Magazine has.

• Agree x 1

#480 The Stationmaster

The Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29,932 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 16:11

I'm sure I can't be the only one who is hoping Mike The Stationmaster's camera batteries are charged by now (post 470)?

John Storey

Right - not having had a chance to get out to the garage and pop it on the module I've done some of the dining room table with views exactly as it comes out of the packaging (which has a bit more padding than is usually the case).  One in the (sprung) buffer was lying loose in the box and of course the various 'extra bits' are not fitted.  The pics will enlarge if you click on them and many are much larger than life size of course.

The individual detail is correct for 1362 at the time that livery and shed allocation was carried.  The overall 'errors' are the humps over the wheels - which crept through the CAD checking probably in some respects because we were working very hard to get the detail right for each individual engine and the slightly misplaced cab footstep (which doesn't look out of place from some angles although quite why It finished up like that I really don't know).  Despite what many would have you believe the checking of CADs is not a simple task and a lot of time and effort was put into doing it.   The numberplate recess doesn't look bad on one side but isn't so good on the other - it was not specified by Kernow and never appeared on the CADs.  Overall of course the appearance is far too clean for a latterday 1361 although they can rarely be seen in clean condition in 1930s photos either.

1.  More or less head-on, correct shedplate for the running number (of course)

DSCF0007cr.jpg

2. Rear three quarter view left hand side, complete with the home of the detached buffer on view

DSCF0008cr.jpg

3. Front quarter quarter left hand side - you can pick out the errant 'splasher' which actually stand about 1mm proud of the running plate and is hardly visible unless you take a close-up pic and enlarge it plus using some lightening of the image to make sure it shows up.

DSCF0019cradj.jpg

4. Front three quarter from above, very heavily lightened in the 'puter to bring up the detail

DSCF0012cradj.jpg

5.  Right hand full broadside view.  Again full on camera flash shows the 'splashers'.  Alas I could get a clear sharp view from below which is light enough to show why they are there. 

DSCF0010.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster, 18 October 2017 - 16:14 .

• Like x 7
  • Informative/Useful x 5
  • Thanks x 1
  • Friendly/Supportive x 1

#481 TERRYSVR

TERRYSVR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationBewdley

Posted 18 October 2017 - 16:22

Appreciate your review have to say very attractive loco.
  • Agree x 2
  • Thanks x 1

#482 it's-er

it's-er

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted Yesterday, 11:22

Railway Modeller in their current November issue. One of their photos has 3 of Kernow's 1361s, which is useful to note some of the variations. One version has a small horizontal handrail just behind the cab, next to the bunker - it marks that version out as different (Mile's 1362 in his photos above doesn't have that handrail).

And thanks to Mike the Starionmaster for his photos!

John
  • Thanks x 1

#483 Ian Hargrave

Ian Hargrave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,002 posts

Posted Today, 18:29

In front of me sits GWR 1364 a little minuscule miracle.I agree with Mike.I know why the splashers are there.I have looked forward to this since I handled her sample predecessor at Doncaster last February.She in no way disappoints.The detail is exquisite.Handsome indeed..and handsome is as handsome does.

Edited by Ian Hargrave, Today, 18:33 .

• Funny x 1

#484 micklner

micklner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,134 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted Today, 18:35

In front of me sits GWR 1364 a little minuscule miracle.I agree with Mike.I know why the splashers are there.I have looked forward to this since I handled her sample predecessor at Doncaster last February.She in no way disappoints.The detail is exquisite.Handsome indeed..and handsome is as handsome does.

The answer is to the splashers being there is ? 

Edited by micklner, Today, 18:40 .

#485 cctransuk

cctransuk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,795 posts

Posted Today, 19:52

The answer is to the splashers being there is ? 

Yes - I'd like to know the answer to that; especially as the Heljan one has no splashers, scale diameter wheels, and buffers at the correct height.

Regards,

John isherwood.