Kernow Model Rail Centre to produce GWR 1361 0-6-0 Saddle Tank

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Talk of continuing further correspondence by PM is disappointing to the many who find public debates, aka full and frank discussions, both informative and entertaining. That just isn’t cricket, chaps.

It reminds me of the full and frank heated discussions I have for an hour or so with swmbo before we agree I was right all along.

A 'nod' to Cloughie.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Err, gwrrob, please enlighten me how you manage to get SWMBO to agree that you are right?

I haven’t managed it yet in nearly 30 years of marriage!

Tim T

When it comes to trains, she takes my word for it.

Everything else.. well you know.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It reminds me of the full and frank heated discussions I have for an hour or so with swmbo before we agree I was right all along.

A 'nod' to Cloughie.

I detect a porky pie.  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

On reading that the wheel flanges must then be, hugely oversize ? otherwise why do they not fit under the footplate?

It doesn't make any sense why it needed to be made like it has . The splashers look at least 2mm high or more above the footplate. At worst all that was needed was a slight cut out on the underneath of the Footplate.

On looking at the above photos, the wheel rims are clearly not above the Footplate. Its simply appears to be a design error .

I see no problem with comparing this version with the Heljan version, that luckily doesn't have this problem. That what forums are for , to discuss things.

Having just measured them - as nearly as it's possible to do so, and assuming my electronic calipers are reading correctly - the 'humps' (or whatever you care to call them are a whisker under 1mm high.

As ever you pays your money and you takes your choice.  If you don't like the 'humps' and are going to enjoy researching the details for the individual engine you wish to model than perhaps the Heljan version is for you because I'm not at all sure if it accurately represents any one engine due to the large number of detail differences which developed over the years.  If you are prepared to accept the 'humps', which are really not particularly noticeable in most normal viewings but which show up starkly in well lit side views (as in my post), but want an engine which is correctly detailed for the member of the class which it represents at a particular time then the Kernow one is the one you want.  

As ever - when there is one - the choice lies with the purchaser and we all have different requirements, views and feelings in that respect - it really is as simple as that.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

If the only utterance you can make on this thread is to throw petulant and insufferable nonsense at the other forum members, it merely demonstrates a paucity of argument.

It does make you wonder just how sycophantic some commentators would be if they actually got a model that was good doesn't it? It might be acceptable to someone but to proclaim it a minuscule miracle when it has a pretty glaring design flaw is a bit OTT.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Have you managed to run the tank yet wondered how you rated performance?

It will be run in (30 minutes each direction is recommended) once I can get the test track and rollers onto the dining room table which is currently occupied by 'someone's' sewing machine.  So won't be for a day or five as I'm off down to Debvon and might pay a visit to Pecorama to see what's going on bullhead wise  (if the sewing machine owner agrees of course).

It does make you wonder just how sycophantic some commentators would be if they actually got a model that was good doesn't it? It might be acceptable to someone but to proclaim it a minuscule miracle when it has a pretty glaring design flaw is a bit OTT.

Something 1mm tall is a glaring design flaw, okay then.

bearing in mind all the other correct detail on each individual model I think we can allow them this one, any mass produced item will be a compromise to keep the price within acceptable limits.

I would love to see your pictures of your modelling efforts, I am sure they are millimeter perfect. .

Something 1mm tall is a glaring design flaw, okay then.

bearing in mind all the other correct detail on each individual model I think we can allow them this one, any mass produced item will be a compromise to keep the price within acceptable limits.

I would love to see your pictures of your modelling efforts, I am sure they are millimeter perfect. .

How does the effort of designing freelance spashers and tooling up for them compromise to keep the price down? I don't follow.

Edit. I'm sorry but I haven't seen any of your modelling efforts either. Doesn't mean I'm going to dismiss your opinion though.

Edited by UMinion
  • Like 1

How does the effort of designing freelance spashers and tooling up for them compromise to keep the price down? I don't follow.

Edit. I'm sorry but I haven't seen any of your modelling efforts either. Doesn't mean I'm going to dismiss your opinion though.

I am not the one moaning about the efforts of others.

Imagine something made out of Lego with the corners rounded off, I am certainly not an expert, ex-spurt yes but not an expert.

I am currently trying to save up to sort out the baseboards in the mancave but the Manufacturers keep releasing 'must have' models so its a bit of a struggle.

• RMweb Gold

A message from Sycophantix. ... I have no hesitation in proclaiming exactly what I think of this model to you or anyone else on this forum and certainly without leave asked of you.If you read back through this thread  you will know that I purchased this model in the full knowledge of its design flaws which I accept it has. Have you "got" that ? Probably not....

You have a familiarly unfortunate choice of vocabulary it seems. To use your words OTT. One has to wonder whether you have an interest in a purchase of a variant of this model of either manufacturer Or are  you just an "interested" bystander ?

My attitude ...if such you might choose to describe it.....is fully supportive of Chris Trerise and his indeed "minuscule miracle" in Camborne. The model rail community has been enhanced by his special commissions over the last few years and we'd be a duller place without him.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Please stop fighting. Some people don't mind the splashers, some people do.

We have enough information here to make an informed decision now.

Trying to get the last word in is doing no-one any favours and bringing everyone down.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This Bunn fight is becoming more and more amusing.

One serious question I have though is, will these beautiful little locos traverse the new Peco bullhead track and pointwork with ease or should I continue to hand build my 4-SF (aka OO-SF) track?

Photos of my attempt at modeling on my layout topic.

TIA

Edit: do you also think there will be room for a DCC chip & possibly speaker?

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Have you managed to run the tank yet wondered how you rated performance?

I have just completed a running in of "Percy" aka GWR 1364, It presents perfectly straight out of the box.All bits intact..nothing fallen off and all there still after an hour's running at varying speed in each direction,latterly under load (3 Bachmann Birdcages which were to hand) This is on DC only. First thing to notice as it is the "dreaded" coreless motor is that it is quiet,especially at low speed.It has performed faultlessly and has improved after running. . Slow speed running is excellent as it should be. One thing to be aware of is that ,because of its size,negotiating pointwork e.g a Peco Code 100 diamond crossover needs extra current.I imagine DCC users will be thinking perhaps of a StayAlive fitting

It is well finished and apart from the documented errors,looks the part and watching it move at all speeds is fascinating.I am more than happy with it. Thanks Mike and all at Didcot.It is a lovely little thing,despite the glitches.Well I'm happy anyway and I guess I'm the first here at any rate to trial it.

Yes, time to ease up a bit chaps.

Point taken

• Like 3

This Bunn fight is becoming more and more amusing.

One serious question I have though is, will these beautiful little locos traverse the new Peco bullhead track and pointwork with ease or should I continue to hand build my 4-SF (aka OO-SF) track?

Photos of my attempt at modeling on my layout topic.

TIA

Edit: do you also think there will be room for a DCC chip & possibly speaker?

In the Railway Modeller (I think) review it states that you can fit a sugar cube speaker in the bunker.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have just completed a running in of "Percy" aka GWR 1364, It presents perfectly straight out of the box.All bits intact..nothing fallen off and all there still after an hour's running at varying speed in each direction,latterly under load (3 Bachmann Birdcages which were to hand) This is on DC only. First thing to notice as it is the "dreaded" coreless motor is that it is quiet,especially at low speed.It has performed faultlessly and has improved after running. . Slow speed running is excellent as it should be. One thing to be aware of is that ,because of its size,negotiating pointwork e.g a Peco Code 100 diamond crossover needs extra current.I imagine DCC users will be thinking perhaps of a StayAlive fitting

It is well finished and apart from the documented errors,looks the part and watching it move at all speeds is fascinating.I am more than happy with it. Thanks Mike and all at Didcot.It is a lovely little thing,despite the glitches.Well I'm happy anyway and I guess I'm the first here at any rate to trial it.

Point taken

Any chance of some photo's of your new loco I'm interested to see all the other models with the different details.