Footplate - Kidderminster

wollastonblue

I have done a search, and no-one has mentioned this fantastic shop. However, it has now moved into new premises opposite the old shop on Comberton Hill.

I can highly advise visiting Footplate, and then The Weavers Real Ale House.

No commercial connections, just a happy customer of both establishments.

• Like 1

You beat me to it

I noticed that the new doors were open when I passed yesterday.

Anyone who has been before but not yet had chance to visit the new premises will find them significantly bigger  than the old. 

Andy

Edited by SM42

Having been a long term customer of Derek and family. This move is certainly needed. The old shop was cramped and over filled. Everybody had a running joke that Derek just kept acquiring more and more without actually sorting any of it out. Now they have moved across the road there is more room. I second the visit to the Weavers. Now of Countryfile fame. Cracking pint and not too far down the hill to walk back to the SVR.

• RMweb Premium

So I can anticipate room to turn round in the new premesis, if my mates and I make our regular visit during SVR Autumn Gala weekend. Must remember not to cross the road!

Regards,

John

Oh yes John there will be room to turn around without everybody else having to turn around too. 

Mind you as I haven't had chance to visit now it is not a building site,  Derek may have filled it all up by now.

There is also a handy little* customer car park at the downhill end of the row of (2) shops. Next to Kim Johnson Designs; Derek's new neighbour

Andy

*By little I mean it  is about  10 or 12  car's worth but it is shared with two other businesses. .

Is this the same "Footplate" seen often at exhibitions/shows etc.,??

Never been to the shop.....but I'm going to the SVR later this month, so exactly where is the shop.?

When I have compared their prices with other traders at various exbns, I have always found them to be much more expensive for the items I have required., and I mean a lot more.!!!

Is this the same "Footplate" seen often at exhibitions/shows etc.,??

Never been to the shop.....but I'm going to the SVR later this month, so exactly where is the shop.?

When I have compared their prices with other traders at various exbns, I have always found them to be much more expensive for the items I have required., and I mean a lot more.!!!

Straight down the hill from the Kidderminster station, on the same side of the road, just after the tyre place. About 3/4 minutes.

I've always found price quite good to be honest.

Alistair

Like Alistair I've always found prices to be on a par with other outlets for items I have purchased .

I suppose it depends on what particular product you are looking for really.

For anyone intending to visit mid week, I believe that they are still closed on Wednesdays as it was at the old shop.

As well as the car park there is also free, time limited (one hour last time I looked)  roadside parking opposite.

Andy

Went there for the first time the other day. The owner mentioned that the move has thrown up some older items he had forgotten about so it's definitely a good time to pop on in and look for something a little rare or unusual. I got a couple of cracking items at very reasonable prices the other day, including Bachmann's 44-017 modern diesel depot which I've been looking for for a while. Got a new one for around 2/3 the price used ones command on eBay.

Definitely worth a visit.

The particular items I thought were expensive at exbns, were some Peco code 75 points they were selling.....the difference being £11 to £12 on one stand.....and I think £14/15 at Footplate.  Perhaps it was just those items........I shall have a look at the shop next time I'm visiting the SVR.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Dropped in twice last weekend whilst visiting the SVR gala. Came a long way from Oz, but worthwhile to spend time chatting to the owner, and purchasing a 'Mermaid' at each visit. I didn't realise they were 'all his own work'!

Well worth a visit.

Cheers from UK not Oz,

Peter C.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In a conversation today with a "Collector" this shop came into the conversation. I live local and used to visit so last weekend as i had dropped my wife off at the station i thought i would pay them a visit. I drove down the hill looking as i had not noticed the shop of late. Nope not one sign of it on the right side.

Back to todays tel con who said they were still there but had moved across the road to bigger and better premises. They're behind you, oh yes they are.

Booking a visit for tomorrow as i need some, 0 gauge track and pointwork.

• Like 1

Friendly people who had the flex track and the points I needed so well happy.

Also the bigger premises are much more accommodating for a perusal with none of the impending collapse of stock off the shelves as was in the previous smaller shop.

Prices are very competitive with the other online shops if not even a little cheaper.  I shall be calling by much more regularly now I know where they are.

Regards

PS I know the webby is due an update so I'd telephone to check prices before placing an order.

Edited by Barnaby

• RMweb Premium

I visited the old shop once and have been to the new shop three times now. Always go intending not to spend any money but I always walk out with a new or secondhand loco. Nice owner who is happy to chat and prices are on a par with the box shifters if you remember to take into account the postage the box shifters have to charge.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Midland Mole @ Footplate

Hello all,

I want to let everyone know that I have set up this account separate from my personal one so that I can communicate updates to do with the shop and products.

Also, feel free to ask me about ordering or anything else to do with the shop and I will do my best to answer your questions. :)

Alex @ Footplate

Edited by Midland Mole @ Footplate
  • Like 4

I have to say it is an excellent shop, not used the physical shop itself but placed a few orders online and received them no problem. Only thing I would point out to any users of the web shop is that your order history will show as pending but it will get sent. I placed 2 orders in September and December 2016 and both are still pending now. I will certainbly be back as you have a few hard to get coaches I want - just need the pennies for them first

Guest Midland Mole @ Footplate

Two things I wanted to mention:

1) As my first attempts to inform the forum of new releases backfired somewhat, I would like to hear from members if they have any suggestions for the best way I could go about announcing when we get new products in.

2) Listening to the feedback from Ed-farms in the post above, I will be trying to mark orders as dispatched from now on. To be honest I was not aware that completed orders still showed up as pending for customers, so I am glad this has been brought to my attention. I cant guarantee that I wont occasionally miss changing the status of an order, but I will do my best to keep on top of them. :)

Alex @ Footplate

Edited by Midland Mole @ Footplate
  • Like 2