Railway & Modelling Obituaries

David "Tetley's" Shakespeare.

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I have just received the terrible news that Dave died on Thursday, and Julie his beloved wife has asked me to let all his friends and admirers in the model railway fraternity know this sad, but not unfortunately totally unexpected news.

Many of you will remember that some eighteen months ago I posted news at Dave's request that he had been diagnosed with terminal cancer, and had only months to live. Typically, he would have none of that, and demanded full tests, as a result of which the primary cancer was located, and he commenced many months of debilitating chemotherapy. At one stage it looked as though a miracle had happened, but it was not to be, and over the last few months even his indomitable fighting spirit, and sheer Yorkshire bloodymindedness could not prevail. Until a couple of weeks ago, he continued to fight, and to plan his new layout, but in the end he could fight no more.

We have all lost one of the most talented and inspirational modellers of his generation, and those of us who had the privilege to know him personally have lost a true friend. There will be a huge gap in my life from now on, but I know that Dave would wish me, and all his friends, to remember the good times we had together, rather than moping around. I'll arrange a fitting tribute on here with Andy Y when I have a chance to speak to him, and I'll add to this obituary when the news has sunk in, and I feel rather more able to put my thoughts in order.

For now though, farewell to a great man, a great modeller, the Monet of model railways, whose impressionist style inspired so many. One last point, Julie has asked that there should be no flowers or notes of condolence sent to her. She appreciates that people will wish to show their respect and sympathy, but doesn't feel that she could cope at the moment. RIP Dave.

Edited by great northern

• RMweb Gold

It's incredible that social and printed media allows people of character to shine through and inspire others without the need for meeting them face to face. Dave was certainly an inspiration for countless modellers, and I feel very lucky to have made his acquaintance via this forum, even if not in person.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That's terrible....his humour and courage in the face of his struggles with his illness were a lesson to those of us who take every opportunity to moan and whinge.

RIP

I'm so sorry and shocked to read this Gilbert as we'd only spoken yesterday and I'm sure that the news will have come to you all too suddenly today and you've my sympathy that you've had to let us know the awful news.

There's many ways we'll be able to give tribute to Dave, his skills and his very special brand of determination and humour in due course. I know Dave wouldn't have wanted to face it but I wish we could have said farewell before he bowed out but we can at least be thankful that Dave chose to share part of his highs and lows with us here; railway modelling has lost one of its great characters and inspirations to many and I think the spirit of Tetleys will live on through the efforts of others and their modelling; he probably inspired more modellers with his work than anyone else I know.

My condolences to Julie and the family; an absolute tragedy.

• Like 4

Just seen your note in his Tetley's thread.  I'll never forget his invitation to see the original Tetleys a few years back and the kindness and hospitality Dave and Julie gave me as a total stranger at the time.  His work will always be an inspiration to me and few if any could match his ability to create a completely natural scene that just oozed atmosphere.

Dave, you will be sadly missed.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

the kindness and hospitality Dave and Julie gave me as a total stranger at the time. 

Anyone who had the pleasure of visiting Julie and Dave will thoroughly agree with your sentiment Gordon; a great couple who treated visitors as good friends.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sad sad news indeed, Like Gordon, Andy and others I was privileged to spend a very happy day with Dave and Julie enjoying their hospitality and playing trains, including introducing some malachite green to Dave's inspirational, instantly recognisable fantastic modelling. A true gent and a great loss. Rest in Peace.

• Like 1

Sad news, following the thread I truly thought there was light at the end of the tunnel. I never knew David personally. However, a person is never truly gone when they have left such a legacy.

Godspeed

Edited by Coldgunner

A truly inspirational person with his modelling and as a person who wouldn't give up .

A big thankyou to him for all the questions answered and modelling he shared with us .

Brian

• Like 2

Absolutely stunned and totally gutted. Tetley's when it appeared in Model Rail the first time was when I took up the hobby, and it amongst others inspired me. The sight of the NRM's Deltic pounding the rails over a viaduct he made, amongst buildings he made in scenery he made - inspirational.

We've lost a lot of good ones the last few years and it never gets any easier to hear.

My sincere condolences to his friends and family. I'll raise a glass to him later when I go back to working on my layout this evening.

• RMweb Gold

Finding Dave's work was one of the main reasons I returned to this hobby, and he was one of the first to welcome me to RMWeb, and offered much sound advice. A truly brave and courageous man, so sorry to hear this news.

• Like 1

Dave's is a light that will never go out.  

His warmth, humour, humanity, dogged determination and above all his hope are and will continue to be an inspiration to hundreds, if not thousands.

I never met you mate, but through these pages and countless other chats and references I felt that I did.  While I feel my eyes moisten writing this, I assure you that I will raise a glass of Yorkshire's finest in your honour and celebrate a life packed with achievement, just so sad you were taken too soon.

Ian

This has come as a great shock, I never knew him personally but I feel we have lost an inspirational modeller, the free DVD that came with one of the magazines was what inspired me to start this wonderful hobby, I to also have a poster of his wonderful layout (2 WD locomotives crossing a viaduct) which I have on the wall, and it will stay there as a tribute to him.

RIP Dave