My Laser Cutting workbench and my odyssey in model buildings.

The OPC class 52 book on the westerns (sorry I don't remember the full title) has all the fonts, and correct spacings for letters, numbers back plates etc.

I've been passed full sized drawings of the western letters so I'm half way there. I may have to get this book on the Westerns though.

Edited by BrushType4

• RMweb Premium

You must have a small mother!

Mike.

She must be an American - if she was British she would be 1/43.5 and not 1/48 - although a slight tweak to the drawing would get the machine to make a building of the right size !

When you are creating the designs, do you allow a clearance between the sections? Particularly on the fingered jointing on the brickwork (which I think is awesome).

I am designing something similar and building in a 0.3mm clearance between each section. However, if the laser's width would effectively take care of the clearance, then I'm wasting my time.

When you are creating the designs, do you allow a clearance between the sections? Particularly on the fingered jointing on the brickwork (which I think is awesome).

I am designing something similar and building in a 0.3mm clearance between each section. However, if the laser's width would effectively take care of the clearance, then I'm wasting my time.

I don't need any clearance as the kerf of the laser is usually enough. In fact the the kerf needs to be compensated for. I usually allow a kerf of 0.2 over and reduce accordingly once I've cut a test piece.

Who are you getting to cut your designs?

I'm working on this huge building currently.

It's over 1.6m wide at 7mm scale, but fortunately it's low relief. It's still the biggest I've been asked to do to date. I will be cutting out this weekend so more pictures will follow.

For now, here is the first draft.

post-1485-0-44578100-1413498068_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I will probably be doing the cutting at Maklab in Glasgow.

I'm quite a long way off making the first cut though; I'm assembling all of the laser cut bits in Rhino. It's for a 1:76 waterline model of this:

priboy-research-and-survey-ship-plans.jp

and getting the hull up into parts which can flatten (so that these can be laser cut) is proving very tricky! I might end up just getting the frames laser cut and using a stanley knife and my old friend, Trial & Error, in order to make the hull.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the poor picture quality but I used my iPhone to take some picture of a weighbridge I am creating for a 7mm layout to S7 standard named Love Lane. Based on the GER weighbridge at Ongar.

post-1485-0-32863500-1415056821_thumb.jpgpost-1485-0-16792000-1415056833_thumb.jpgpost-1485-0-22759800-1415056848_thumb.jpg

The letters are less than 2mm high. I think a coat of primer will show up the detail really well. Will try and get a coat of paint on sometime this week.

Edited by BrushType4
  • Like 3

Really lovely pieces of work here

I tried having a look at your online shop, but it didn't appear to be up and running yet? Or am I being a bit daft (very likely)

I was looking to see what you charge for slates for 4mm models? If after quite a bulk load and don't fancy cutting them by hand...

Thanks very much, really looking foreword to seeing more of what you can create!

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Latest prototype building to roll of the brush workbench today.

GCR platelayers hut.

post-1485-0-11237400-1416767803_thumb.jpg

post-1485-0-66591200-1416767812_thumb.jpg

post-1485-0-19209000-1416767838_thumb.jpg

post-1485-0-11723200-1416767849_thumb.jpg

I can see a few errors and improvements I can make for the actual kit.

Designed with painting in mind so is easy to paint. Spray the hut matt black and paint the brick work before gluing together.

post-1485-0-10410400-1416767865_thumb.jpg

• Like 7