Fan Wagon

• RMweb Gold

Just come across this beast at work, but we all are wondering what it looks like. Seems to be based on a JZA Rail Delivery Clamp wagon, has a dirty great fan on it with a diesel engine to power it. It's used to provide forced ventillation when working in tunnels

Just come across this beast at work, but we all are wondering what it looks like. Seems to be based on a JZA Rail Delivery Clamp wagon, has a dirty great fan on it with a diesel engine to power it. It's used to provide forced ventillation when working in tunnels

Must be a different one to the old wagon which IIRC was 923157 - not sure what the prefix was though. The tunnel wagonb was used for just that blowing fumes along the tunnel. I think 923157 was a bogie bolster C

There is one still knocking about, based on a Lowmac. ADE 901720 is it's number and it tends to work with a short rake of YEAs.

Bloody ell. That must be the last Prenat wagon in service on the network then ? Unless anyone knows different ?

Photos of 901720 at

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Balfour_Beatty_Rail_Plant_ZSB_design_code_ZS507C.jpg

and

http://www.ontrackplant.com/photo/901720

which doesn't look much like a Lowmac. Is that coaching stock suspension?

An odd underfame- looks like a former parcels van or similar to me. There was another one of these on a Grampus underframe, which Paul Wade modelled on Tonbridge West yard.

Another photo at http://richardjones8646.fotopic.net/p46634838.html

is it just me or are fotopic sites really bad at search?

Not exactly, the search facility doesn't always work, but when it does, I find is extremely effectve at picking out the information that the user supplies with the photo. This is the failure of the system; spelling, mis-reads, etc. can all give strange results. Flickr has it slightly better with tags and so on, but this is even more reliant on the user being on the same wavelength as the searcher... See the debate over this site's gallery for the reasoning.

Adam

Not exactly, the search facility doesn't always work, but when it does, I find is extremely effectve at picking out the information that the user supplies with the photo. This is the failure of the system; spelling, mis-reads, etc. can all give strange results. Flickr has it slightly better with tags and so on, but this is even more reliant on the user being on the same wavelength as the searcher... See the debate over this site's gallery for the reasoning.

Adam

Ta. The reason I asked was that I found the photo by eye, then copy-pasted the description to search for similar photos and got zero results - not even the one I was looking at! Ho hum.

I think I've exhausted (pun intended) fotopic for "fan" and "ventilation" now. Be interesting to see what comes from the visit to sunny Donny.

Note: 'extremely effective' does not always equate to '100% reliable'! ;)

Ta. The reason I asked was that I found the photo by eye, then copy-pasted the description to search for similar photos and got zero results - not even the one I was looking at! Ho hum.

I think I've exhausted (pun intended) fotopic for "fan" and "ventilation" now. Be interesting to see what comes from the visit to sunny Donny.

Did you find this one?

http://markf6750.fotopic.net/p40339752.html

Search term 'zsb'.

Adam

• RMweb Gold

Re fotopic search for fan wagon:

Normally I find the fotopic search system works well, but there is cuurently a note on the user log in page saying that the search system is currently partly unavailable while work is done on speeding it up

David

• RMweb Premium

Saw this thread yesterday and then the thing passes my house today!! How coincidental is that?

Fotopic doesn't always find the number on its own - also try DE901720 and ADE901720

Cheers,

Mick

Steve Farmer did a fan mounted in a Grampus which lives on my TWY layout. I converted a bogie C into a Tunnel ventilation wagon with fan and genny, the fan body being a turning done by Steve.

I have a second fan turning which will be used in a Hornby Rudd to form that pictured in this thread. You can't have too many fan wagons.

Cheers.