The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

Somewhere in the Forest of Dean

Unusual view of Parkend in that last shot!! :yes:

I do think it's a shame those spurs have been disconnected from the main there, especially the one leading to the road. Are there any plans to re-install the connection, does anyone know, or are those rails forever to remain abandoned, now?? :(

Unusual view of Parkend in that last shot!! :yes:

I do think it's a shame those spurs have been disconnected from the main there, especially the one leading to the road. Are there any plans to re-install the connection, does anyone know, or are those rails forever to remain abandoned, now?? :(

The man in charge of the fire devil on the day I took the pictures told me they are making two siding connections to the main line.

Evidence below.

_DSC2272_zps43e1f7e4.jpg

• Like 6

Hi all,

Some detail to add to the photos above.  For the last eighteen months a small team have been working on a BR 5 plank open which, when the appropriate track is reconnected, should be placed in the yard at Parkend when not required for photo charter or other use.  The road/rail excavator is at Parkend pending a repair to the hydraulic system.  At present a lot of recovery of materials is taking place.  The last owners of the line dumped sleepers, rail and other stuff at the lineside and during the dormant period of the lines existence this 'disappeared' into the shrubbery.  As progress is being made on clearing back vegetation so this is becoming visible and needs removing to avoid jibes of the DFR being a very long and thin scrapyard!

Tony Comber

• Like 1

I doubt if any of you are members of the N Gauge Society - I am. The construction of the layout "Parkend" is the subject of an illustrated article in the current edition of The N Gauge Journal published yesterday Part 1 is 4 pages in the current Journal and Part 2 will be in the next Journal due to be published end March 2015.

_DSC2474%201_zpsnj3xzdqd.jpg

• Like 4

Hi folk. I am finding maintaining this thread of no value to me since it is proving to be a bit of a one way street, and the Glos and Forest Group has virtually no active traffic. So I am bowing out.

Mods please feel free to delete this thread. Over and Out.

Hi folk. I am finding maintaining this thread of no value to me since it is proving to be a bit of a one way street, and the Glos and Forest Group has virtually no active traffic. So I am bowing out.Mods please feel free to delete this thread. Over and Out.

I for one am very sorry to read this - what's brought you to this conclusion?

As it's a thread about your layout, then it is sort of mostly a 'one way street' - you post pics & info about your layout for others to view. Despite your own doubts in your first post, you've had nothing but good feedback from the rest of us, & it is going to receive wider recognition when published in the N Scale magazine. As I posted - intention being to encourage you - I would love to see this published in one of the "mainstream" mags; Railway Modeller happens to be my personal preference, but I bet any of them would be interested.

What "value" were you hoping to get from this Thread beyond the positive comments you've had?

As for this Section being rather quiet, well yes, maybe. Within the wider world of UK Railways one County is quite a specific 'niche' interest, & ss it's the middle of winter it's not really the time for most of us to visit Heritage railways either. I bet not many of us posting in this Section even live in Gloucestershire?? I don't!!

I say, Moderators:- please DO NOT delete this Thread!! It's a neat layout, a perfectly recognisable model of a real place, & I have enjoyed looking at it many more times than just when I've posted on it......

• Like 1

Final response for F-Unitmad.

17 comments from other people in over 6 months and an unknown number of views - that's the logic behind my decision. And this Group is more than a bit quiet to be honest. But thanks for your lone comment - much appreciated. I'll close the door on my way out.

Final response for F-Unitmad.

17 comments from other people in over 6 months and an unknown number of views - that's the logic behind my decision. And this Group is more than a bit quiet to be honest. But thanks for your lone comment - much appreciated. I'll close the door on my way out.

I agree with everything F-Unitmad said in his post. In addition to the comments, you have had more than 70 'likes'. I'm wondering what it is that you were expecting but disappointed not to receive.

I agree with everything F-Unitmad said in his post. In addition to the comments, you have had more than 70 'likes'. I'm wondering what it is that you were expecting but disappointed not to receive.

2.5 Likes per week and 0.7 Replies per week is being virtually ignored. What I was looking for was involvement with others and I picked the wrong place. But that's my error.

• RMweb Gold

2.5 Likes per week and 0.7 Replies per week is being virtually ignored. What I was looking for was involvement with others and I picked the wrong place. But that's my error.

I'm really sorry you feel this way. I think it's a lovely layout and definitely worthy of a wider audience. The suggestion of moving the layout postings to the main Layouts portion of the forum is a good one, and you'll certainly get a lot more feedback on there than in this sub-forum.

I started this sub-forum because I'm very interested in the railways of Gloucestershire and the Forest of Dean, although it is admittedly a bit of a niche area of interest in railway terms. I wanted others with a similar area of interest to be able to share their experiences, knowledge and interests, and I thank you for doing so with your layout. We've had the benefit of seeing it in this sub-forum, which is great. Certainly more people will see it over in the main Layouts section, although Ironically I might have missed it if you'd posted it there first, purely because there are lots of layouts listed there, and you can't follow all of them.

I certainly see no need to delete this thread, although if you want the whole thread moved to the Layouts section, that is something beyond my competence, and would have to be done by Andy Y or perhaps one of the proper moderators.

• RMweb Gold

OK. Thanks for the interest. Should I start a new thread in another area of the forum with a new title ? If so where - I cannot see an N gauge section.

Yes, I'd definitely go for the general 'Layouts' section - you'll definitely get a lot more people seeing it there... :)

• RMweb Premium

Or send a PM to Andy York asking him to move this thread, rather than lose what you have posted. I am sure you can find him easily enough as he posts frequently, or just search for his name. It would be a pity to lose what you have already posted.

My only comment on what is some really beautiful modelling of the scene is that now is the time to do some research and get your trains right - same period, for example, and if pre-Nationalisation appropriate PO wagons. If you go back further you can have a lovely mix of GWR and MR. But be warned: research does eat into modelling time and can be addictive.

Like others I found this layout because I am interested in the Forest and have cycled around it a lot, so I decided to explore the topic on RMWeb. So a more specific title would be useful in the layouts section.

Jonathan David

Thanks corneliuundie. I have bought most of the recent books on the DFR and the Severn and Wye and as you say the research is absorbing. The truth is that I have a Class 57xx (tried for two more but they wouldn't run), 2 x Class 22s, 2x Class 25s, a slope tanked Prairie, 2 x Class 108s, a Class 14 Teddybear, a Class 14xx with autocoach, and a Class 37 with one more on pre-order. I don't have a Dean Goods but I think they were fairly rare at Parkend.

My trouble is I have several other locos I just like - so I run them. Occasionally I have strictly behaved days but not often.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Phil. I am sure I have seen your name mentioned in hallowed tones in DFR circles.

Wow wonder why?

We did charter our own autotrain one evening a few years ago. By common consent - and others involved were not railway enthusiasts - it was a brilliant evening out, see my facebook avatar!

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock