The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

Somewhere in the Forest of Dean

A few photos from Wednesday 18 Feb 2015 Forest Flyer. It was still very much winter and hard to take photos that didn't include "we'll need that soon" type of items laying around everywhere. The three car Class 108 was immaculate though.

_DSC2707_zpsf3gapmjd.jpg

_DSC2722_zpsttkae3u8.jpg

_DSC2651_zpsf5xaaxtj.jpg

_DSC2674_zpswh4claqw.jpg

_DSC2677_zpsiuu2syzl.jpg

_DSC2702_zpsfznpesoe.jpg

_DSC2656_zpsgsii1o47.jpg

_DSC2682_zpsvm23eb3s.jpg

_DSC2657_zpsymlwry1u.jpg

• Like 5

Thank you Captain Kernow.

A few more photos taken on the same day including a moon bear glimpsed at Norchard  :O , a not so usual view of Parkend station from Farrimor Close, a coming and a going, a standing still being painted, and finally a waiting for painting next.

_DSC2675_zpsilx9iq2t.jpg

_DSC2693_zpsfmd37blh.jpg

_DSC2716_zpsw9bpq0n0.jpg

_DSC2730_zps7ndflz7e.jpg

_DSC2660_zpsmzjltvr0.jpg

_DSC2658_zpskvzfkixf.jpg

• Like 2

A question on the two points above. Would getting across Fancy Road next to where The Square used to stand be a problem now?

You mean the old Travellers Rest Crossing location? Not as far as I know. The 'mainline' trackbed is still clear I think, although there's industry around there - Remploy(now closed?) & Forest of Dean Caravans. The site of Coleford Junction might need excavating out a bit, & the road overbridge re-instating at the north end* (or yet another level crossing!!). IIRC the proposed Cannop Station site is further up than Coleford Junction.

* Edit - The B4234 New Road.

Edited by F-UnitMad

There were plans published some time back in the "Forest Venturer" for Cannop Ponds as the next goal: a new station to tie in with the Forest Cycling trails. I don't know if it's got any further than a paper proposal, though.

As long as they could find room for the cycle path and railway to run side by side. All the old track bed beyond Parkend has been cycle track for many years. I have spent many pleasant hours on them over the years. One of the reasons for building Clinkerford? http://www.johndarch.com/Model%20Railways/Clinkerford/Clinkerford.html

• Like 2

A couple of shots from my last visit on a trip 'home' in September 2007. After many years of visiting Norchard (and probably Parkend before that when I was too young to remember) I finally got to go on the line up to Parkend. I think that it had not long reopened at this point and Parkend services were a DMU shuttle from the high level platform at Norchard, while steam services to Lydney used the low level platform.

post-4916-0-48415700-1424855432.jpg

post-4916-0-28908600-1424855452.jpg

post-4916-0-80926600-1424855483.jpg

post-4916-0-15436000-1424855611.jpg

post-4916-0-91204800-1424855629.jpg

post-4916-0-30693400-1424855671.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Sparks. They are some great photos to add to the thread. At Norchard the high level platform now is used for everything except the last train of the day which terminates at the low level - and then the loco runs around the train unless it's a DMU of course. But great photos.

You mean the old Travellers Rest Crossing location? Not as far as I know. The 'mainline' trackbed is still clear I think, although there's industry around there - Remploy(now closed?) & Forest of Dean Caravans. The site of Coleford Junction might need excavating out a bit, & the road overbridge re-instating at the north end* (or yet another level crossing!!). IIRC the proposed Cannop Station site is further up than Coleford Junction.

* Edit - The B4234 New Road.

I have just had a look at the satellite pictures of the track leaving Parkend towards Speech House, and I reckon that unless there is some grand plan afoot getting much past Fancy Road would appear to be a real challenge because of the more recent buildings, the caravan business, and the cycle path. I will ask next time I go to Norchard.

Oh yes, agree it'd be a challenge alright!! But the Caravan dealer is not on the trackbed itself, although there does appear to be something like lumber storage a bit further up that is on the right of way, but no buildings.

Good point from Killybegs about room for both cycleway & track. And the shot from Sparks taken through the DMU's front window - reminds us of the one redeeming thing about travelling on them!! The 'view ahead' was even promoted in an old '60s BR publicity film, IIRC??

• Like 1

Time for a bit more photo action especially for the folk who like the Dean Forest Railway but don't get the chance to visit as often as they would like.

That would be me!  Thanks for all the latest pictures.

Brian.

Yes. The green plate is covering the name Uskmouth.

I have just found an older photo which confirms the photo above is Uskmouth. I would say Uskmouth was on the way to becoming No 6 Percy in the Thomas the Tank Engine series.

_DSC0630_zpsbxewfzrh.jpg