Brinkly Works! Weathering and self-designed 3D printed models

Brinkly

Re your tank wagons; there were two rail-served fuel depots at Launceston.  On the GWR side it was Shell Mex/BP and on the SR side it was originally Western Petroleum, later taken over by Esso..

So your Shell tanker should be OK for the Launceston branch,

Mike

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Re your tank wagons; there were two rail-served fuel depots at Launceston.  On the GWR side it was Shell Mex/BP and on the SR side it was originally Western Petroleum, later taken over by Esso..

So your Shell tanker should be OK for the Launceston branch,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you! I had completely forgotten that. Excellent, an excuse for a few more!

Kind regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

Are you using the clamp for soldering or gluing, Nick?

To be honest, I think I might have bought something like that years ago, but have hardly used it, as I always found it easier to use good old bluetack, with the wagon sides sitting over a bit of graph paper.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Are you using the clamp for soldering or gluing, Nick?

To be honest, I think I might have bought something like that years ago, but have hardly used it, as I always found it easier to use good old bluetack, with the wagon sides sitting over a bit of graph paper.

Hi Tim,

Sorry missed your post. I use it for soldering, gluing I stick with bluetack, graph paper and a couple of set squares. 

Kind regards,

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon,

I bought a pair of Bachmann BR insulated box vans from the Taunton Model Railway show last year. Both were sold as second hand, but neither had been used. For the princely sum of £8.25 each, I snapped them up.

I doubt there was a huge demand for incoming meat traffic on the Launceston branch, but variety is the spice of life and I like looking at a goods train formed in a variety of different colours! Tavistock and Launceston both had abattoirs, so there is some source of traffic!

Work on the vans wasn't too demanding and I hope the modifications make them look a little more realistic. I had planned to paint the replacement tie-bar today, but it is too damp and horrid to contemplate painting - even inside!

Smith couplings, Lanarkshire Model vacuum pipes and some 1mm by 1mm brass angle to create the tie-bars were the only parts required. Re-numbering of one and weathering of both will take place in the near future. 

post-7376-0-86290500-1488725981_thumb.jpg

Pair together awaiting their fate!

post-7376-0-33946000-1488725985_thumb.jpg

I hate tension lock couplings.

post-7376-0-90256100-1488725988_thumb.jpg

Replacement couplings from Smiths and LMS vacuum pipe.

post-7376-0-39434800-1488725992_thumb.jpg

Tie-bar replacement 

post-7376-0-23179600-1488725996_thumb.jpg

The pair awaiting future work. 

More bits to follow soon. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

The second post for today is the first part showing the detailing to a 64xx locomotive.

I've opted for 6400, a regular performer on the Tavistock branch, as my prototype. 

The job list is quite simple really, new smoke box dart, cab and smokebox plate, shed code and coupling. 

post-7376-0-62528200-1488738094_thumb.jpg

Side profile view.

post-7376-0-55054600-1488738098_thumb.jpg

I'm pleased at how well the cab plates have gone on.

post-7376-0-72109400-1488738096_thumb.jpg

Etched shed code for 83D Laira. 

The next job will be to fit the correct smokebox number, using the Pacific Models sheet, additional lamp brackets along the running board and handrail above the step. 

Thanks for looking,

Nick.

• Like 9

Hi Nick,

Not sure how important this will be to you, but by my admittedly amateur reading of the class history, I think 6400 should have the earlier style of footsteps on the front of the tanks, unless it received replacements at some stage.

There is a picture in the pannier papers taken in 1964 but unfortunately taken from the rear. This confirms that at this stage it had a boiler with top feed (as per the model) but the original style lubricators on the running plate (different to the model).

Hope this is helpful,

Mike

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Excellent - now you need to add the little hook under the buffer plank for the screw coupling ;)

(and what make/supplier of smokebox door handles please - they look rather nice)

Lovely bit of modelling. What make is the screw coupling please?

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Hi gents,

Thank you for all your comments and likes. 

The coupling is a Romford Screwlink, with an Alan Gibson smoke box door: the cab plates are from Model Master, which I feel are the best out there. 

Hope this helps,

Nick. 

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's always been that large. The closest working scale couplings have usually been Exactoscales, but at £16 a pair you've got to want them pretty bad....!

...and pretty fiddly to use. In my experience, although looking the part, using them whilst exhibiting can be fraught with frustration!

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Greetings,

I was shocked when I realised that the last bit of modelling I achieved was 13 months ago! My modelling 'Mojo' seemed to disappear and has only recently returned. I think this was partly down to a very busy summer and a greater work load since September 2017; however, today I actually did some modelling.

I've always been interested in the movement of china clay. Bar the occasional oil train, china clay is the only freight traffic that I remember on the railways. I can remember looking out of the car window as we travelled over Marsh Mills on the A38 and catching a glimpse of a rake of ECC CDA wagons: what a treat!

Now my clay wagon isn’t a CDA, far too modern! A few years ago, I obtained a couple of Bachmann Dia. 1/051 clay wagons. I feel the chassis is quite poor in comparison with more recent products, so opted to replace the underframe with components from Parkside and Lanarkshire Model Supplies.

post-7376-0-65495500-1522950609_thumb.jpg

The first job was the removal of the metal weight attached to the underside of the body. I used a couple of different Swiss files.

post-7376-0-81660500-1522950628_thumb.jpg

Next involved producing a new buffer beam from a length of U shaped plasticard. I can’t remember the thickness of the plasticard, but it looks right. Three holes were drilled, one for the coupling hook and two for the buffers.

post-7376-0-52995600-1522950685_thumb.jpg

Lastly, attach the sole bars and ensure the chassis is square – simple, but vital!

post-7376-0-69456100-1522950709_thumb.jpg

Eventually, I will fit a pair of Smiths couplings, but I want to let the glue of off properly before mucking around with the buffer beam. A tiebar and small slab of roofing led will complete the build.

post-7376-0-81758100-1522950738_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-05628700-1522950754_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-13872600-1522950770_thumb.jpg

I need to check the livery, as I suspect it is incorrect. 

Over the coming weeks, I’m going to try and complete a couple of rolling stock projects. I have a bad habit of leaving something part built. I think this stems from when I used to batch build stock, but in essence, I’ve ended up with a couple of dozen part-completed items. Hopefully the weather will remain reasonably decent next week, which should enable me to prime and then paint some of my stock – then it can enter revenue earning traffic on TT2!   

Anyway, thanks for looking – any comments are welcome as always.

Best wishes,

Nick.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Greetings all,

Following on from last week's modelling, I decided to dig out a trio of coal wagons which I started 5-6 years ago (possibly even more). Originally, these wagons were destined for P4, but I opted to build the underframes to OO standards for use on Horrabridge. 

The three are all Parkside kits, painted using Games Workshop acrylics. Two are representing bare wood (early 1950s batch of PO wagons) and one painted in BR grey. The planks were painted individually, following an article written by CraigW in MRJ some years ago. Apologies about the lighting, it isn't great. 

post-7376-0-16855200-1523465947_thumb.jpg

Trio awaiting lettering and removable coal load.

post-7376-0-60004600-1523465980_thumb.jpg

Internal detail.

post-7376-0-65448000-1523466004_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-66792700-1523466027_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-60443100-1523466015_thumb.jpg

I also completed a forth wagon, again a Parkside kit, which was primed this afternoon ready for painting. 

post-7376-0-60168400-1523466070_thumb.jpg

Each wagon has been fitted with cast buffers from LMS (Lanarkshire Model Supplies) and Ambis coupling hooks and chains. Hopefully I can add the numbers next. 

Kind regards,

Nick. 

• Like 9

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Greetings,

I thought it was about time to update my thread. Recently, my enthusiasm for modelling hasn't been great. I won't bore you all with every detail, but essentially my girlfriend and I split up. This was certainly the right move for me, but as I'm sure you can imagine, it was a little uncomfortable as these things are. However, a new found sense of freedom has enabled me to crack on and complete some long standing projects. Some of these have been waiting for several years! Having visited Wells a couple of weekends ago, I bough a range of 'bits' to finish and complete several ex GWR locomotives. Most are now 75% complete, with very small detailing and weathering to consider them 'complete'. I do own a pair of Badger airbrushes, but my compressor isn't up to much: I plan to upgrade it in the near future. 

Personally, I like to work from a photograph when building a model and I've been very fortunate to collect a large number of photographs of locomotives and stock working either on the Launceston Branch, or in and around Plymouth. Even mundane items of stock, box vans, mineral wagons and brake vans have been sourced, enabling me to produce a more realistic looking model. Some would say this is verging on a form of extremism; however, I am a product of the late 1980's and don't have any first-hand memories of steam at all. 

post-7376-0-30968300-1534849210_thumb.jpg

A small amount of my research material: Journal No. 17 was written when I was still at primary school!  :lol:  ;)

I decided at the start of the summer holiday to look through the locomotive turns, passenger and freight workings using time tables from 1955-1956. Initially, I planned to operate Horrabridge around 1955, but I can't resist BR lined green engines, so I've pushed the layout time frame back a little towards 1958-60. This seems to be a good compromise, as a large number of the 45xx & 4575 engines working on the line received lined green after 1958, but quite a few (4555, 5511 & 5531) were still in their original BR black livery until 1959-1962. It also means I can have lined maroon coaching stock, mixed in with crimson and cream.

Really I should have drawn up a building programme sooner, but hey-ho lesson learnt for next time. I don't intend to run to a set timetable: I can't be doing with that, but I intend to create a rough sequence where other moves can be built in. I might adapt the American card system idea, but I'm not sure yet: further research (and a completed layout) is needed! So the stock completed so far is based on the first few moves of the timetable. 

The first job to be completed was 7709. This pannier tank is currently rostered to work the early morning Laira Yard to Tavistock South freight working. I bought the original Bachmann Pannier from Antics in Plymouth years ago, I think I was still at University when I bought it, so 2006-7ish, maybe even earlier. It was 7788 in green livery with GWR on the side tanks. I think I paid £57 for it, which wasn't a bad price for a loco with DCC onboard back then! 

Officially, 7709 is a St. Blazey loco; however, I have a photo of her working a freight train near Tavistock Junction, so enough of a reason to model her!

The work undertaken was as follows:

• Remove the original livery
  • Replace the molded smokebox door dart with a replacement (in this case Comet)
  • Fit replacement lamp brackets all the way round, including a couple of spares (Mainly Trains)
  • Sanding gear operating gear (RT Models etch)
  • Coupling hook (Romford)
  • Open up the cab roof vent
  • Removing the plastic rear windows grills with etched replacement (Mainly Trains)
  • Fit a new whistle and shield (ModelU) 
  • Grab handle above the front step.
  • Paint (Games Workshop Chaos Black spray)
  • Etched plates (Model Master)
  • Shed code (Fox)
  • Smokebox Door Number (Pacific Models)
  • Transfers (Fox)
  • Eventually fit steam pipes to the buffer beam and paint the buffer-beam red.

I'm pleased with the work so far, I need to fit the crew (see more details below), Model U lamps, real coal in the bunker and weather. 

post-7376-0-95722000-1534851113_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-35459300-1534851132_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-53038500-1534851145_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-58971800-1534851158_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-72529900-1534850358_thumb.jpg

Bill on the left and Claude on the right. They need a little bit of shadowing and high-lighting, but I'm still pleased with the results. 

Some may remember reading the tales of Philip and Claude a few years ago - 6 years to be exact!

The story goes thus; Claude (driver) and Bill (fireman) our working the 5:25 Laira to Tavistock goods, Turn Number 109. The locomotive is usually a pannier, in this case 7709. Due to Bill’s enthusiasm to please Claude, who is an old GWR man, he has overfired the loco, with fresh coal being placed on un-burnt coal, thus breaking the cardinal rule of a fireman. The result is a poor steaming locomotive and despite Bill’s best efforts the train has to be held at Horrabridge, as the 5:50 Plymouth North Road to Tavistock South has now caught up.
This has two knock on effects: the first is that by the time the 5:50 passenger service has cleared the Horrabridge to Tavistock section, the 5:25 freight will be running about 30 minutes late. The second problem is that by the time the freight arrives at Tavy South, so too will all the merchants and the chaps will have to eat their breakfast whilst shunting, rather than being able to eat more leisurely from the comfort of the middle siding in the station!

Bill is well aware of his mistake and Claude is making sympathetic comments and tells Bill not to touch the fire tomorrow until he (Claude) arrives. Needless to say Claude builds the perfect fire the following morning and Bill learns a valuable lesson.

Laira Fireman: Footplate Recollections by Philip Rundle is a brilliant book and well worth the money.  

The next locomotive to near completion is a second pannier tank, in this case 4658 - a Laira loco for many years. I've managed to collect a number of photographs of her working in and around Plymouth, one showing the early BR emblem and two with the later. For a bit of change, I've opted for the later emblem. The work was almost identical to 7709, with the execption of the position of the spare lamp brackets. 7709 had one on the side, 4658 has three: not sure why the variation was so great, but there you go! The beauty of photographs. I'm still waiting for the tall whistle shield from Model U and the etched cab plate from Model Master, but the majority of the work has been completed. Her crew has been painted, but not fitted yet.

post-7376-0-26652400-1534851581_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-17551200-1534851602_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-30869000-1534851627_thumb.jpg

4658 will probably be allocated to the afternoon Launceston freight working. 

The next locomotive is one of the three 45xx locomotives required to work the sequence. 4574 was a regular on the branch, working either the Horrbridge or Launceston freight working - essentially the opposite turn to 4658. The work on 4574 was reasonably easy, until I decided to remove the top-feed. I feel the Bachmann feed isn't brilliant. To my eye it is too bulky and looks wrong. At Wells I purchased two from Branchlines, one for 4574 and the other for 5569, both having short top-feeds. It was quite tricky to fit the replacement well. I removed the old molded example, packed the inside with plasticard and then Green Putty from Squadron Green. The castings required quite a lot of cleaning up and I might see what the Gibson one is like at Scaleforum before doing any more. I do think it looks better, but it was a right pig of a job to do. on 5569 I realised how much easier it was to remove the boiler altogether; however, I am really coming round (quite quickly) to the idea of building the two Churchward Models prairie kits I have acquired over the years, rather than undertaking any more surgery on the Bachmann models. 

I removed the molded coal, fitted a false floor and then added real coal, which has made a huge difference visually. I left the molded lamp brackets well alone, as they don't look too bad. I repainted the top of the boiler with Precision paints BR locomotive Green post 1956, which was a very good match to Bachmann's colour.  Replacement dart, numbers and buffer beam detailing was completed, plus a crew from Model U. I also removed the orignal large BR crest and replaced it with a smaller version from Fox, replicating the photograph I have of 4574 in Laira shed and on the branch circa 1961.

post-7376-0-10740200-1534852468_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-39764900-1534852490_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-62739900-1534852509_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-52871500-1534852530_thumb.jpg

The crew (Model U) were painted using Vallejo paints. They are brilliant and I thoroughly recommend them for this type of work. I've painted their skin a better 'pink' colour now!

Remember her! Last up is 6400. A beautiful model in my mind. I removed the smokebox dart a while ago, but now replacement lamp brackets have been added on the front, rear and sides. She will take it in turns with 1434 on the numerous auto-workings, coupled to a BR auto trailer. 

post-7376-0-56121000-1534852622_thumb.jpg

I have a Bachmann AA21 toad nearing completion, so want to crack on with that. I've managed to remove the molded handrail wire - what a b*gger of a job that was! I managed not to remove the rivet detailing from the side panels, but the ones on the ends had to come off. Replacements are on their way: decal examples. I'm now waiting for etches from MRD and some brass tube to complete her. 

post-7376-0-66243100-1534852868_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-58173600-1534852891_thumb.jpg

I think every man and his dog will have a Model U guard on one of their trains soon! They are good, full marks Alan!

Well that's all for now. I have some other projects to continue with and will update you all soon. Thanks for reading and as always, any comments or feedback are welcome.

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Some very nice locos, those Bachmann panniers scrub up rather well.  

Have you looked at the smoke box door numbers Railtec have started producing?   its done as a 3d transfer (to your required number) so you can get the white numbers on black background whilst still getting the full relief you get with an etch.  

Those ModelU figures really do look rather good, one day I will get round to starting to fit them to my locos!

Are you heading over to Scaleforum?

• RMweb Gold

Some very nice locos, those Bachmann panniers scrub up rather well.  

Have you looked at the smoke box door numbers Railtec have started producing?   its done as a 3d transfer (to your required number) so you can get the white numbers on black background whilst still getting the full relief you get with an etch.  

Those ModelU figures really do look rather good, one day I will get round to starting to fit them to my locos!

Are you heading over to Scaleforum?

Hi Rich,

Thanks re panniers. I was pleased with them. I haven't heard of the Railtec numbers, but they certainly sound interesting: I'll have to investigate them. I'm not 100% convinced with the Pacific Models sheets, they are alright; although, I'd be interested to see what else is out there beyond the etched plates.

I'm planning to come up to Scaleforum on the Saturday. The original plan had been to come up with the DRAG group operating TT2, but time wise, I cannot afford a whole weekend in September playing trains!

Regards,

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

Thanks re panniers. I was pleased with them. I haven't heard of the Railtec numbers, but they certainly sound interesting: I'll have to investigate them. I'm not 100% convinced with the Pacific Models sheets, they are alright; although, I'd be interested to see what else is out there beyond the etched plates.

I'm planning to come up to Scaleforum on the Saturday. The original plan had been to come up with the DRAG group operating TT2, but time wise, I cannot afford a whole weekend in September playing trains!

Regards,

Nick

Good to hear, 

This is the Railtic offering

http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2771, there is also a bit more on the concept here http://www.railtec-models.com/3dtransfers.php 

He is really flexible and no doubt will do it without the transfers for the crests if needed.  I am about to place my first order for the cab side plates for my 4707 as a trial, but what I am really interested in are the lined versions for all my Castles and Kings to replace the etched versions currently fitted.  

I have used them before for custom transfers for the ends of my B Sets (Kingsbridge Branch No 1 and No 2) and will have some Toad brandings made for Bristol (East Depot) and Kingsbridge for use on Oxford Rail AA1 / AA3 Toads on my next order. 

• RMweb Gold

Good to hear, 

This is the Railtic offering

http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2771, there is also a bit more on the concept here http://www.railtec-models.com/3dtransfers.php 

He is really flexible and no doubt will do it without the transfers for the crests if needed.  I am about to place my first order for the cab side plates for my 4707 as a trial, but what I am really interested in are the lined versions for all my Castles and Kings to replace the etched versions currently fitted.  

I have used them before for custom transfers for the ends of my B Sets (Kingsbridge Branch No 1 and No 2) and will have some Toad brandings made for Bristol (East Depot) and Kingsbridge for use on Oxford Rail AA1 / AA3 Toads on my next order. 

It sounds like a really good product. I could do with some Toad allocations - one AA15 van was based at Princetown. In one of the Kingdom books, it shows the lettering on the side of the toad which read 'to work between Princetown and Tavistock Junction' or something like that. At any rate, it didn't stray far from the line. 

Thanks for the heads up. 

Regards,

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Greetings,

This afternoon I did a little bit more work on the Bachmann Toad brake van, I'm aiming for an AA21 look and feel to the vehicle. It isn't going to be perfect, but I hope I get the old girl to look a little more respectable! 

I removed the handrails a couple of years ago using a combination of curved and short Swann Morton blades. This was tricky, but almost all of the main rivet detailing survived. However, I made the decision quite early on to not worry about the rivets on the uprights, as these could be reinstated once the rails were removed. 

A few years ago Andrew (Ullypug) was demonstrating at RailWells and I have him to thank for the MRD replacement etch. It is very small. The drill bit is 0.4mm to give you an idea of size.

post-7376-0-70900800-1534953123_thumb.jpg

I carefully drilled a small 0.4 hole in the uprights at a slight angle, then once I was happy with the position, moved the hand drill to a more upright position. This kept the hole as close to the uprights as possible. It wasn't too bad a job, but you do have to commit at this stage fully as there isn't any real turning back! A second drill bit - 0.55m - was used to open it up a little further. The instructions suggest a 0.6mm, but I feel this is a little too big. I don't remember painting the interior white, but there you go!

post-7376-0-45581500-1534953139_thumb.jpg

Once the replacement handrail pillars where in place, I used a small amount of glue to retain the delicate etches. I the used Archer's rivet transfers (thank you Taz for the heads up on these years ago) to replace the removed rivets. I've gone for 5 as that looked about right against two preserved examples, but I could be wrong; anyway, once the rail is over the top, paint and weathering I don't think anyone will notice!

post-7376-0-96155900-1534953294_thumb.jpg

I'm going to set the van aside now overnight to allow the transfers to dry properly and then I'll repeat this work on the opposite side. 

Hopefully a little more to follow tomorrow. 

Any comments welcome. 

Best wishes,

Nick.

post-7376-0-23337700-1534953180_thumb.jpg

• Like 6