Boston Lodge in 5.5mm Scale

Hiesler

Boston Lodge in 5.5mm Scale

Engineshed2.jpg

http://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/File:Engineshed2.jpg

For the past year and a half I have been modelling in 5.5mm scale with a view to building a layout based on the Festiniog Railway. I have decided to start small with a view to taking it to exhibitions. As most of the stations on the Festiniog Railway are relatively large to accommodate the long trains I have chosen to build a model of the old engine shed where engines used to start and end the day.

I am going to model the area between the engine shed (as seen the above photo) and the old Madoc estate walls with the toll house, including the old waggon works.

I have chosen to set the model around 1900 for the common reason of including the rebuilt England's engines in their saddle tank state. My current research shows that I may be able to get away with running it in a 1930s guise occasionally.

I made the baseboard last week to an unusual design to allow me to model the typography of the area.

DSC09354_zpsd676e577.jpg

As well as hearing your thoughts on the layout, I would be interested to hear any information you may have to give me the best chance of modelling the location as accurately as I can.

How often I update this thread will depend on how much interest it gathers. You can have a look at my progress on the rolling stock for the layout here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
DSC00095%20crop_zpsqdlnyhya.jpg

A rough sketch to show what I aim to make. The layout will have a number of features that will be new to me modelling wise because the area includes a wide range of structural and scenery elements.

With the layout being so small I knew I needed to put some effort into making it look presentable, meaning more woodwork was required.

Which brings me to this point now where I can actually show you something that looks like it could become a layout one day.

DSC00093%20crop_zpsgwxbnvht.jpg

DSC00094%20crop_zpslyoxwubb.jpg

Here's a very incomplete train put in place to give a sense of scale:

DSC00103%20crop_zpsimvwgbpx.jpgDSC00099%20crop_zpsiha6wgmr.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived