trw1089

Wow! That really is some great work. I'm not being disparaging either when I say a great train-set, purely a fantastic layout to pull a chair up and watch continuously running trains trundle or thunder past. Great work.

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

For those interested in such things, while my layout is controlled by NCE DCC, the trackwork around the yard and loco depot is controlled by two lever frames, one interlocked and the other not so.  I went for the Modratec lever frames because the guy who owns it is a fellow member of the British Railway Modellers Association group that I am in and after using a friends layout which was controlled by Peco lever style switches, I thought it would be something that would add "play value" to the layout.  The finished frames look like this:

img1205800.jpg

and it can sometimes provoke reactions like this:

img1148800.jpg

That last one is my youngest lad trying to figure out how to assemble a goods train in the yard.

You can see it in operation here https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-diLK7kAjbo (warning, it is a bit of a long video, so make sure you get a cuppa before watching!)

and finally, if you are thinking about getting one of the lever frame kits, when I was building mine I did up a doc on some of the tips and tricks I found on assembly, which has since been put up on the Modratec site if you are thinking of one yourself (no relationship with Modratec, only a satisfied customer) http://modratec.com/download/pdf/Arnthorpe.pdf

Cheers

Tony

Edited by trw1089
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Outstanding job ,,,I am very impressed, I grew up in Wakefield , It was fabulous at Ing's Road school with the line passing right by  (and almost over) the school on the 99 arches viaduct, spotting at Westgate Kirkgate and out near Wakefield  Heath common near the shed,,,  

Perhaps you could consider the almost iconic outline and structure that dominated the sky line was Wakefield power station, it screamed Wakefield whether approaching by rail or road, just wondered whether it could be found a place in one of the back drops

Cheers Alan     

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2712/4355019124_0d8f1b5aab_z.jpg?zz=1

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6190/6042780551_370ec7f87b_z.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see the old home town ! I only left 25 years ago and it is unrecognisable to me now. I liked how you came up with 'Arnthorpe' Armthorpe is over by Doncaster so not too far away. you do have an excuse for LMS light engines about the place turning round before returning to Kirkgate.I like what your doing and will watch this. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Outstanding job ,,,I am very impressed, I grew up in Wakefield , It was fabulous at Ing's Road school with the line passing right by  (and almost over) the school on the 99 arches viaduct, spotting at Westgate Kirkgate and out near Wakefield  Heath common near the shed,,,  

Perhaps you could consider the almost iconic outline and structure that dominated the sky line was Wakefield power station, it screamed Wakefield whether approaching by rail or road, just wondered whether it could be found a place in one of the back drops

4355019124_0d8f1b5aab_z.jpg?zz=1

6042780551_370ec7f87b_z.jpg

Thanks very much Alan. Hopefully your posted pics show as I modified the links slightly. I am trying to model the period of 1950-56, so haven't been sure of when the power station was constructed, as it is not seen in some of the photos I have of Wakefield Shed, but is in others. I will certainly think about it being in one of my backdrops, and have plans also for the winding wheel that was in near the carriage sidings which had the Welcome to Wakefield sign above it.

A friend of mine also took some pics of the city skyline on approach to Westgate from Ings Rd junction while riding the Scarborough Spa Express last month, so with some photoshoppery to backdate, I think I have enough to sort out the backdrop for that area.

I am just about finished with the Arnthorpe yard area and will post up some pics of my last bit of yard ballasting as I think you may have also commented on my YouTube video about it.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see the old home town ! I only left 25 years ago and it is unrecognisable to me now. I liked how you came up with 'Arnthorpe' Armthorpe is over by Doncaster so not too far away. you do have an excuse for LMS light engines about the place turning round before returning to Kirkgate.I like what your doing and will watch this.

Thanks Mick, it is amazing how much has changed in Wakefield as I do my research. Even though the track layout hasn't changed very much, it is nearly unrecognisable now with how much vegetation is next to the track and the lack of open space on the approach from Leeds. The more I research the station area though, the more I realise how important it will be to show what it was really like, rather than try and make some stylised model railway type version, I am hope to scratchbuild most of the important structures like the Orangery, the admin offices behind the station and the station itself (so looking forward to getting stuck into that).

Thanks for the tick about the LMS engines too, I need every excuse possible, as locoholism is rife! But looking at the pics, Black 5s, Stanier and Fairburn tanks and even 4Fs graced the Bradford Portions, plus there are pics of Jubilees and even a Patriot on Summer Saturday specials through Dewsbury and Osset.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks very much Alan. Hopefully your posted pics show as I modified the links slightly. I am trying to model the period of 1950-56, so haven't been sure of when the power station was constructed, as it is not seen in some of the photos I have of Wakefield Shed, but is in others. I will certainly think about it being in one of my backdrops, and have plans also for the winding wheel that was in near the carriage sidings which had the Welcome to Wakefield sign above it.

A friend of mine also took some pics of the city skyline on approach to Westgate from Ings Rd junction while riding the Scarborough Spa Express last month, so with some photoshoppery to backdate, I think I have enough to sort out the backdrop for that area.

I am just about finished with the Arnthorpe yard area and will post up some pics of my last bit of yard ballasting as I think you may have also commented on my YouTube video about it.

Cheers

Tony

Hi there sorry Tony how stupid of not to consider the time period before opening my mouth,,, just that to me Wakefiled is not Wakefield without the power station, although thats an over personalized  view point that only relates to my growing up years really,,, as for the photos I only joined last week and was not sure about all the copyright warnings your told about hence why I just pasted the links so they could be viewed on flicker,,, Looked at your videos as well ,,, very very good, I hope I can get half as close to the realism you create. Cheers Alan         

I left a similar time ago ,,, and went back a couple of years back and as you say parts unrecognizable, all the old Stanley Royd mental hospital that I lived opposite to,, completely wiped away ,,,  and some parts a real dump.      

• RMweb Gold

I have been working on the other end of Arnthorpe, as there is a siding that is to serve a coal merchant, with a few coal staithes there.  On the yard area, I used a technique to get the ground level at the same level as the sleepers.  I used a photo of Patricroft shed area as a guide and used a product called Agnew's Water Putty (basically a hard setting plaster).  At the time I didn't take any photos, so for the siding to the coal merchant I repeated it and took some pics.

This is what the area looked like before I started:

ApYyK7.jpg

I basically force the plaster into the gaps between the rails with my fingers then smooth it around the edges, like in the pic below:

fQHLfi.jpg

Using a scrap piece of timber I then level it off to the height of the sleepers, both on the inside and outside of the rails:

TI1DKL.jpg

I then use a brush dipped in water to smooth off the plaster, and to clean it off the inside of the rails:

BWcjXR.jpg

It is also easier to use a plastic spatula to clean out the inside of the rails along with the brush:

oW3Hf6.jpg

This is what it looks like when finished the plastering:

iVE3XQ.jpg

Once it is dry, I paint over it with acrylics, using a mixture of burnt umber, raw sienna and a bit of burnt red for the terrain, and then just burnt umber and black roughly mixed to give a bit of variety:

dpAdGb.jpg

When this is dry, I then use a mixture of Woodland Scenics Cinder Ballast, some ash from a coal fire (taken from the ashpan of an 0-6-2T narrow gauge loco actually), and some coal dust and lumps (again from the narrow gauge loco):

f9H5Nh.jpg

When this is then fixed in place using a 50:50 mix of PVA and water (with some wetting agent), this is the end result:

l0mCv6.jpg

and

Hm7Uh4.jpg

Finally, looking towards the coal staithes:

yflrlT.jpg

I still have to go over the area with weathering powders, but will wait until I bed in the buildings and put in some pavement and roads.  

Hope that this is of interest!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

Further on from the previous pics, here is the area as it is now, pretty much done, but a few minor things to still tidy up:

dMlYSQ.jpg

From a couple of different angles:

tFnUXj.jpg

mEvjHP.jpg

finally, my favourite:

OfWxqv.jpg

A few more bits and pieces may yet get added, but I have another area to finish first so may do that and come back to this.

Cheers
Tony
  • Like 9