Rhuddlan Models, Denbighshire

DDolfelin

High Street, Rhuddlan.

www.rhuddlanmodels.co.uk

01745 590048

Just opened and still getting organised.

An increasing stock of regular model railway bits plus some useful secondhand.

Also die-cast and Scalextric.

After your visit you can look around the ruined castle if it's not raining and have a cup of Kenco if the Cafe opposite hasn't closed for lunch.

Mark seems a pleasant sort of fellow.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hello Fellow modellers, I thought I would put in a testament to this model shop if you live near the A55 corridor, it really is a great shop, it stocked up with most makes of kits and modellers aids, and very competitively priced with other major model shops, they also do part exchange and have a decent array of 2nd hand stock.

Well worth a visit for stocking up on those consumable items.

Happy modelling

Craig.

Will have to 'pop 'down and have a look , mind you living in N Wales one doesn't just 'pop 'anywhere its always an excursion. Living at Carrog this could be one of the nearer model shops for me although perhaps Dapols shop is easier to get to at Chirk.

Be good to meet some of the local modellers in the N Wales around as I have only lived here since January 2013, perhaps find out if there are any groups that meet up

• 1 year later...

Well after a year I managed to visit this model railway shop in the wild's of the North wales coastal area and have to say was impressed with the friendly owner and the excellent range of products. Looks like a well set out shop with plenty of new and second hand in all gauges .

Would strongly recommend a visit if your on a trip down the N Wales coast . Good on street parking must be a big plus :sungum:

Very interesting thread  this  I have  lived in  the  area  ( Mold) several  years  but  never  heard  of  this  establishment!

As it opened in 2010  I must  have  driven  past  it   a few  times  on  my  way  to  Sainsburys  Rhyl  which  was  one  of  my  calls  at  that  time, these days  though  i work in a much smaller  geographical area.

Will have  to  check   out  the  shop though.

• RMweb Premium

Well after a year I managed to visit this model railway shop in the wild's of the North wales coastal area and have to say was impressed with the friendly owner and the excellent range of products. Looks like a well set out shop with plenty of new and second hand in all gauges .

Would strongly recommend a visit if your on a trip down the N Wales coast . Good on street parking must be a big plus :sungum:

Very much seconded; I visit every time I'm in the area and never fail to come away with a bargain of some sort be it N, OO, loco, stock etc... 

My Dad haunts the place and has built up an enviable supply of items from their secondhand stock!

They're on Ebay too at good prices if you look up their name...and they've just opened an extension to the original shop so even more room to drool browse!

No other connection etc etc...

David

Guest Digital

Have visited Rhuddlan Models several times as it's local to me. Staff very friendly and helpful.

As mentioned in previous post the shop has now been extended and has plenty to offer the modeller.

If you are in the area well worth a visit.

John

Must say I thought this was 'news' until I saw the OP's entry is dated 2010. I wasn't aware of this shop, although is not surprising since I completely miss Rhuddlan on the bypass. I'll look in if parking isn't a problem.  Shekanes, yellow lines, one-way systems and pedestrianised streets ensure I avoid most town around here like the plague. 

High Street, Rhuddlan.

www.rhuddlanmodels.co.uk

01745 590048

Just opened and still getting organised.

An increasing stock of regular model railway bits plus some useful secondhand.

Also die-cast and Scalextric.

After your visit you can look around the ruined castle if it's not raining and have a cup of Kenco if the Cafe opposite hasn't closed for lunch.

Mark seems a pleasant sort of fellow.

Now I'm no expert as far as the catering trade goes, but...

I'd forgotten about this upload.

They are often represented at local model rail shows too.

The 'unsafe bridge' is still controlled by traffic lights to single flow but it shouldn't hold things up for long.

Let's hope something else is holding up the bridge.

Very easy to find: Go over 'falling down bridge' (The On the buses fans will recognise it as this is where Olive and Arthur has trouble on the motorbike and side car on the way to the holiday camp.)

Your then on the High Street and the model shop is on the right parking on either side of the road . Would recommend the Farmshop Café excellent breakfast and for £3.45 !!!!!!

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Visited yesterday for the first time as I needed a replacement Peco point quickly for this weekend. What a find, the shop is like the Tardis with nooks, crannies and cubby holes everywhere crammed full of stock. Had bought from them at shows/ebay before but glad I've now discovered the store.

Local for me and only a bit further than Chester Model Centre, which on my last visit there, had really scalled back on their model railway stock.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

It has become my first port of call. It is so great to be able to pick things up there and then when needed. I was looking for a particular shade of colour and Mark asked me if I had looked at the other range in the Aircraft room. Bingo!  Most of Carrogs track and scenery comes from the Rhuddlan shop.

Larry.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I hope this is a good omen. :)   :good:  Unless something goes dramatically and unthinkably wrong I shall be moving to Deeside early in the new year. Getting my priorities right, I was just about to start a topic asking for pointers to a good model shop and lo and behold there is this one! I'll have to pay them a visit at an early stage.

• Like 3

I met up with Jintyman and Muddys Blues of this Parish there last November, (it was raining, but then it always does in Wales) and it's a cracking little Shop, and some amazing Stock.

Aye up!  Maybe because I moved here from the Manchester area, it always seems fine. Rain is like nuclear fallout to her indoors and I despair when I hear the immortal words... "It's spittin'..."  

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Yes  quite  a  common phrase in  the  Manchester  area  ' its  just  starting  to  spit'  we  moved  from  Stockport  area in'84,  my  job  was  based on  an  area  from the  North West into North Wales  and  the  Isle  of Man!  So it didn't really  matter  where  we  lived,  it  always  seemed  drier   here in the  early  years, but  now  it  never seems  to  stop raining!!

No matter where we lived, dad continued to take Stockport Wakes and that meant a fortnight in a caravan beside the mainline near Abergele. Thinking back, I cannot ever remember being pinned down in a caravan because of rain, in fact, my sister and I always ended up with calamine on our backs within a couple of days after being badly sunburned. Today, I wonder just what holiday makers do when it is often far too chilly to go down the beach. As for wearing a cossy and going in the sea....forgeddabowdit. Yup, Wales has changed, but i wouldn't swap it for anything.

• Like 3

Raining in Wales ? ..... absolute codswallop, today it drizzled very heavily from 6.30am till we finished our tanker delivery at 7.25am, then the scorching sun broke through for 15 minutes or so till around 7.40am, then it drizzled quite heavily for some more, this was broken up with some 10 -20 minutes interludes of sushine, and now tonight is fine, so there you go, it never rains in North Wales, it's either wall to wall sunshine or it drizzles very very heavily ............. this is the unbiased weather report from an exiled Lancastrian.

And yes Rhuddlan Models is an excellent Model Shop well worth the visit come drizzle or shine.

Craig.

Today, I wonder just what holiday makers do when it is often far too chilly to go down the beach. As for wearing a cossy and going in the sea....forgeddabowdit. Yup, Wales has changed, but i wouldn't swap it for anything.

........................ They are either in the Seagull, the Wendover or Stone's club come rain or shine!!!!!

Another + from me for Rhuddlan Models, an excellent selection of many different lines.

Jinty ;)

........................ They are either in the Seagull, the Wendover or Stone's club come rain or shine!!!!!

They must be a certain type who find the pubs of Towyn and Kinmel Bay a decent way of spending a holiday. My wife's parents from industrial Lancs used to stay with us every year for a week. When I said they were welcome to stay for the duration of the Wakes fortnight, her dad replied "Not on your life. I give Hannah her week in Wales then the second week is mine at home".  On holiday, he wanted nothing more than to relax, chose his horses, place his bets then await the afternoon results. I think he was very typical of men who saw the world during the Second world War and then just wanted peace and quiet. I doubt places like Blackpool beach were what they wanted but they 'suffered' it for the missus and kids.

But not to wander too far off topic, I noticed Rhuddlan Castle, which is behind Rhuddlan Models, is still a popular venue for tourists judging be the amount of parked cars.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Sorry this is off topic but part of Coachman's post struck a chord. During WW2 my Dad had three years in Burma and India. 10 months of this were spent in direct enemy contact. He too wanted nothing more than peace and quiet. RIP Dad you're never far from my thoughts.

Apologies again for OT, back to normal now.