Bachmann announce 0-6-2T L&NWR Webb Coal Tank

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I was present at their announcement and will seriously consider buying one, whether in LNWR or plain LMS black - yet to be decided - as several were drafted to the Wirral lines after grouping which replaced many ex-Wirral Railway locos.

One interesting variation on the Coal Tanks was that locos 7744 and 7759 (LMS numbering) were adapted with side and bunker tanks several inches wider than standard to carry enough water for a return trip between Birkenhead Park-New Brighton and Birkenhead Park-West Kirby (source: T.B. Maund, The Wirral Railway and its predecessors (Lightmoor Press, 2009), p.132) - see link to image below of 7759:

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrbns_lms499.htm

• RMweb Gold

Hi. What a delightful surprise. Will be looking forward to getting one of these when they become available. As others have said, we do need some coaching stock as well, more than ever before, either ex-LNWR or LMS non-gangwayed.

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 1

Another fine loco subject choice, but it does again emphasise the gaping void in RTR LMS equipment. Some non-gangwayed coaches, and standard general merchandise opens and vans would be good. Only the largest single groups of designs, and inevitably much seen off LMS/LMR.

So we already have a Lanky 2-4-2T that'll serve as a good basis for the ex-GE F3-F6 tanks, and now an there's to be an 0-6-2T that provides the engineering basis for an N7...

If there was no other reason for liking Bach's range it's their even-handed approach to spreading models around the companies/regions. Look at what has been done with 4-4-0, 0-6-0, 2-6-0, and eight coupled types. They have long had a Western 0-6-2T, and have now announced Southern and Midland examples of the breed; every reason to hope that an Eastern type may well come along some day, simply on their past form.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Interesting. Perplexed over their timing announcements

Why ? It's a Collectors Club event after all . A piece of showmanship at a special event matched by a special announcement.

Therefore....why not ? We can all enjoy a theatrical announcement and the attendant publicity can't we?.

We have a Coal Tank....praise be! Let's enjoy it.

Great to hear. I'll probably buy one even though I've already got a kit built version from the old K's kit.

Now, how about a 4-4-0 or 4-6-0 of LNWR origin?

Unlikely, as there are none preserved to be "scanned", which seems to be the popular technique for developing new RTR locos. Both GEM and Brassmasters have produced suitable kits for many years for those that wanted models of those locos. Those who prefer to rely on someone else making what they desire may well be disappointed for a very long time. 

Hi. What a delightful surprise. Will be looking forward to getting one of these when they become available. As others have said, we do need some coaching stock as well, more than ever before, either ex-LNWR or LMS non-gangwayed.

All the best,

Market65.

I remain firmly convinced that LNWR carriages in original livery are most unlikely in RTR form. Perhaps the PC pre-printed kits will become very desirable and appear on ebay at increasingly higher prices. LMS carriages with simple livery seem a better bet from the RTR manufacturers.

The preserved 1054 pictured in a couple of earlier posts show the plain black WW1 wartime livery applied when engines were out shopped during the later years of the war. Normally they carried the normal LNWR livery, which BR copied for mixed traffic engines. It is therefore easy for Bachmann to produce the model in any of the liveries they ran in to suit various of their "eras". 

Edited by LNWRmodeller

Agree about it not being likely that we'll see pre group coaches in either original livery or LMS livery.  The only coaches that one would be likely to see in simplified LMS livery are period III examples - of course Hornby have done some very good models of these.  The Airfix/Dapol non-corridors are, I think, period III, but are wrong for the pull push conversions.  Period I or II coaches would likely have remained in their original Midland style panelled lining - I haven't seen pictures of these in post 1934 simplified lining.  Happy to be proven wrong.

John

• RMweb Gold

How did I miss this. Super news will most definitely be putting a order in for one.

Well with the L&YR 2-4-2t which is a lovely little model. And now the LNWR coal tank. Will we see the MR 0-4-4t next!

But the 1f might throw the kibosh in on that train of thought.

Either way well done Bachmann

Edited by farren

While we're on the subject of LNWR Jumbos, let's not forget there's one in the National Collection! That could be right up the alley of someone who may be in the business of commissioning and/ or producing items from said assortment of railway history!

As I suspect most of us are, I'm liking forward to further announcements such as livery, loco and rough estimate of dates and prices, though I suspect they'll be some way off. I also wonder if the good folks at the KWVR have got themselves an exclusive edition version of their pet.

Cheers

J

• Like 1

Great News, I love pre grouping locos, especially LNWR! I will be having one of these too. Now all we need is a Jumbo 2-4-0 and a Cauliflower 0-6-0 to go with it!

If you really "need" one then there are both white metal and etched brass kits available. Again, I think it unlikely you'll see either in RTR for some time. Bachmann seem to be spreading themselves around the pre-grouping railways and choosing prototypes that still exist (for scanning purposes?) so a Jumbo might be a longer term possibility.

As they are already doing a MR 0-6-0T then the NER G5 or C (J21) would seem to be possible contenders. I don't know what else is preserved that might attract their attention.

In the 0-6-0 market, Bachmann may (hopefully) consider the NBR C class, later LNER/BR J36, since the sole surviving example "Maude" has in the last week returned home to the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway, and she, along with other members of her class, spent time in France during WWI. So, when her restoration is complete, hopefully in 3 years time, Bachmann, or indeed Hornby, have a reason to make this handsome looking loco.

Edited by JhornG201

Many of these locos were never fitted for push-pull. Depending upon the date they were either pulling a rake of LNWR 4, 6 or bogie stock, and later mixtures of LMS and LMS constituent stock. So while I have carriages from kits someone preferring solely rtr could represent the passenger stock with a Bachmann PI brake third and a PIII brake third (Mainline?). A Replica PIII open third would be fine too.

They were also station pilots so of Jim Smith-Wright had built New Street in the steam era these would have been perfect :-)

The question of what goes with the coal tank raises the question as to what drives new rtr releases. Stock surviving into BR ownership seems to be a factor. Hence they release models of LMS portal stock but not PII or non portal PIII. GWR modellers suffer similar constraints. However we are blest by a number of companies producing kits which allow us to produce prototypical formations. LNWRS have a page listing diagrams and suppliers - http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Modelling/4mmCarriages.php.

Don't expect an LNWR auto coach. They were conversions from ordinary stock and so were not built in number. Now an LMS push/pull coach may be something to be considered.

I think next year Bachmann collectors event should be at one of the Scottish railways and they can announce the Caley Jumbo or 0-4-4 or the NBR J36 or Glen. We must be due a Scottish pre grouping loco soon. Until then I will be ordering an LMS black coal tank and hoping for some suitable coaches to be announced soon.

• Like 1

Wonder what next from the preserved list of Loco's Bachmann will choose to produce.

Spoilt for choice, LNWR version to run with an inspection saloon ( aka special preserved mainline working ) or BR version.

Also wonder what Coachman will do to one when it finally appears ?

• Like 1

It's great that Bachmann have done this, of course it is. But ... I'm left with much the same feeling as I have when one of the preserved railways announce the appearance of a pre-group engine for a gala. Where is the pre-group stock? Or even the post-group? The answer is of course that there isn't much because very few people could be interested in preserving it when it was around. Now RTR manufacturers seem to be doing the pre-group engines but there isn't much interest in doing the coaching stock. History, after a fashion, is repeating itself.

The 'train set' concept could work here.

Regards

Edited by PenrithBeacon

Excellent news about the Coal Tank, but I also agree about the lack of pre-grouping stock. I was really surprised when the Bachmann catalogue came out and there were no SECR wagons. The ones they did for their Collectors Club sold out very quickly, so I expect a second batch with different running numbers would have been popular with the modelling public. I know they weren't accurate models, but what precentage of Bachmann customers are experts on pre-grouping freight stock? I was also surprised that SECR and GCR (and now LNWR) brake vans haven't been announced. Given the apparent readiness for manufacturers to commit to producing ever more obscure locomotives, something to go at the other end of the train would seem a logical commercial move. they certainly aren't squeamish about producing nice colourful pre-1923 private-owner wagons.

There is a precedent for all this: It is possible to buy an extensive range of pre WW1 German trains, mostly Bavarian, complete with HO scale period figures, including King Ludwig and his entourage.

• RMweb Premium

Given the way pre-group ornate liveries have sold (C, Lanky tank), I would have thought a Caley loco worth a punt!

The KWVR do of course run the coal tank with pre-group stock - wrong railway though, it's L&Y!  Please ignore the BR non-corridor brake at the back, it was added as this was a special train.

Thread reset -

post-10195-0-82747700-1409483868_thumb.jpg

• Like 4