Bachmann announce 0-6-2T L&NWR Webb Coal Tank

Andy Y

Guest Midland Mole

You can guarantee I'll be getting the worst of the entire batch! 

Definitely test if fully on your track before trying any modifying as the problem seems to be with certain types of track, more that the engines themselves.

Alex

• RMweb Premium

Collected the BR version today form De Rails in Coleford. All ready tested and no problems with the pick ups. Excellent service.

Malcolm

Got mine from Ian Allan

£105 plus £5 in points to go on my loyalty card equivalent to £100.

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

Jol Wilkinson has highlighted through the LNWR Society's Webb pages that Modelu3d are now producing correct LNWR Headlamps, including one with a square base to mount behind a handrail.

Many thanks for heads up Jol, I've ordered some ......

http://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product/2064/

... and a picture from Modelu3d's pages

LNWR3-180x180.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

Jol Wilkinson has highlighted through the LNWR Society's Webb pages that Modelu3d are now producing correct LNWR Headlamps, including one with a square base to mount behind a handrail.

Many thanks for heads up Jol, I've ordered some ......

http://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product/2064/

... and a picture from Modelu3d's pages

LNWR3-180x180.jpg

The photos of the LNWR locos in Modelu's website are of engines from London Road's roster, the one pictured above being a Watford Tank from the LRM kit.

For those wishing to enhance their Chinese version, Andrew Stadden has also introduced some excellent Victorian and  Edwardian loco crew. These have a selection of arms so can be "posed" to suit.

https://www.acstadden.co.uk/shop-3

...... For those wishing to enhance their Chinese version, Andrew Stadden has also introduced some excellent Victorian and  Edwardian loco crew. These have a selection of arms so can be "posed" to suit.  https://www.acstadden.co.uk/shop-3

.... and they are very good too, I didn't have much time before for modelling,

the detailing of 'what I've built now' seemingly will take forever.. 

Edited by Penlan

Lamp sockets and lamps with extended square bases to fit into them were standard on all LNWR locos except the Claughtons. Almost as soon as the LMS was formed, these began to be replaced by normal lamp irons with a bracket at the rear of the lamp to slot over these. The extended square base did allow the lamps to be stowed as shown behind the handrails, which the later type could not be, but that wasn't their true purpose!

• Like 1

Haven't tested mine yet, though it does look a lovely little thing. I am a bit disappointed in the wheels though, I feel the H spokes could have been represented a bit better, but I suppose it'll be hard to tell when they're turning. Will have t get it running later on I think, and then raid the backs of all the sofas and car seats for some money to buy an LNWR variant! 

Well mine's running in at present, definitely needs DCC for shunting, certainly no Hornby Peckett levels of slow speed control here but runs nicely enough, on par with the rest of my Bachmann fleet. Seems more hesitant going forward than backwards. 

• RMweb Gold

Well, I gave in and purchased a BR-liveried example, and I have to say that I'm delighted — it runs beautifully. And I've had no issues whatever with its performance on sectional track points (Fleischmann Profi in my case) — something I was concerned about following the reviews.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Following the slight tweak to the wipers mine now runs around my layout with code 75 track quite nicely and it's also has a pretty quiet mechanism.

Definitely worth a punt if you want one.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Could anyone tell me if the tanks are moulded separate to the boiler please. Could anyone post a good quality picture of the model from above showing the relationship of the tanks and boiler and also one of the front of the tank showing how it fits to the boiler.

Thanks

Justin

Has anyone fitted sound to their Coal Tank yet?  

I have in mind fitting Keytes Super D sound but it all depends on if it will have a suitable plug. I have only just investigated the remark that the bunker is wired for a speaker. The green board was unscrewed and the loose cube of plastic removed to leave a rectangular hole for a small speaker. I'm not sure if this is the course I will take though.

I note YouChoos also have a decent Super D sound.

Edited by coachmann

Has anyone fitted sound to their Coal Tank yet?  

I have in mind fitting Keytes Super D sound but it all depends on if it will have a suitable plug. I have only just investigated the remark that the bunker is wired for a speaker. The green board was unscrewed and the loose cube of plastic removed to leave a rectangular hole for a small speaker. I'm not sure if this is the course I will take though.

I note YouChoos also have a decent Super D sound.

I removed the DCC mounting board and blanking plug, and the two metal pillars they were fixed to, and fitted a Loksound micro V4 with my own 6-pin plug and socket arrangement. This left enough room to fit a YooChoos speaker I had under the decoder as well as a speaker in the place provided in the bunker. The chip needs re-blowing with a suitable sound though.

post-22703-0-96552900-1498942443_thumb.jpg

post-22703-0-58288700-1498942457_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Decided, having found the Zimo decoder I bought, to chip my 1054 tonight (yes I did buy one despite thinking it really needs to be lined and I got one very cheap off Ebay thanks to an Ebay voucher). Took the body off and a metallic sound of something hitting the floor occurred. Turned out to a metal bracket - any ideas where it fits?

post-147-0-32376000-1506882755_thumb.jpg

• Agree 1

Decided, having found the Zimo decoder I bought, to chip my 1054 tonight (yes I did buy one despite thinking it really needs to be lined and I got one very cheap off Ebay thanks to an Ebay voucher). Took the body off and a metallic sound of something hitting the floor occurred. Turned out to a metal bracket - any ideas where it fits?attachicon.gifcoal tank bit.jpg

Look at the photos in the post above, you can see it right hand side top picture.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

A late addition to this thread. Bought my LNWR version from Alton Model centre. As always, they test run any loco before you buy. This one ran almost silently straight from the box!! I've never heard so quiet an RTR loco! I'm happy it will trundle back and forth on my small goods yard/test track. Will have to get hold of some LNWR stock now..... Some of the old Ratio kits seem to be the first stop I think.

A late addition to this thread. Bought my LNWR version from Alton Model centre. As always, they test run any loco before you buy. This one ran almost silently straight from the box!! I've never heard so quiet an RTR loco! I'm happy it will trundle back and forth on my small goods yard/test track. Will have to get hold of some LNWR stock now..... Some of the old Ratio kits seem to be the first stop I think.

Are you planning to model LNWR period or later? If LNWR period, then Ratio wagons are the simplest and cheapest 00 options. There are others (London Road Models, David Geen, Mousa Models, Wizard/51L, etc.), although these tend to be etched/cast white metal and need a little experience to assemble. You'll need a LNWR Brake Van, London Road Models do the standard 10T version.

You can also mix in some POWs. POWsides produce pre-painted Slaters kits with the decals already applied.

• Like 1

Jol

Thank you for the tips on wagon kits. Yes, I was going to have a stab at pre group.

My small shunting plank is intended as being somewhere in North London territory, so I'm not sure the Coal Tank is completely appropriate. However, it will do until I pluck up the courage to have a go at the GEM/Branchlines NLR 0-6-T kit!!

The idea is for a small coal yard, and private siding feeding the warehouse of R.Cratchit and Sons Ltd (formerly Scrooge & Marley). I've always thought Dickens has a rich vein of names for industrial premises!! I'm looking to rely on Metcalfe and Scalescene industrial buildings, so looking forward to some cardboard modelling.

Edited by Martync

• 1 month later...