Bachmann announce 0-6-2T L&NWR Webb Coal Tank

Andy Y

The Caley 812 0-6-0 in Blue would be a beautiful model. And they could do it in LMS Black and late and early BR too. It's a no brainer!

Similarly Gordon Highlander, and you can run her in full and splendid GNSR colours on a BR era layout! Bearing in mind that, overall length of service/livery combinations and the popularity of the subject, I still find it peculiar why the Scottish four haven't been produced to modern RTR standards.

• RMweb Premium

I think they fail Bachmanns geography test! However the SE&CR C Class was fairly limited geographically and the second batch is sold out. A blue engine would be something different!

Why Oh Why does every new model announcement degenerate into a "Wish they had done xxxxx instead"

Frothing and W**h List***  are due later in the year.

• Like 2

Here's an entry on the BRM Blog showing some other snaps from yesterday's event including the first sight of the forthcoming grain wagon, a look behind normally closed doors into Oakworth's booking office and quick clip of the Coal Tank in action - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1535/entry-14686-Bachmann-announce-webb-coal-tank-at-kwvr-Bachmann-collectors-club-day/

Perplexed over their timing announcements

I don't see any reason to be perplexed, I thought this was a great way to do the announcement. Bachmann do a lot for Collectors' Club members and it's good that they're treated to something more personal and enjoyable than sifting through moans and groans that 'there's nothing in it for me' amongst a normal announcement topic on here or in the mags. I'm sure a good number of the visitors who were there yesterday will go on to buy a loco in due course. In many ways it would be nice to see more of these sorts of events even from other manufacturers than a mad media-centric flurry at pre-defined times of the year.

Where is the pre-group stock? Or even the post-group? 

A range of suitable coaching stock for any loco is a bigger investment and risk for a manufacturer than the locos, modellers are still very loco-centric anyway but there's bags of opportunities to go an find kits and do some modelling to suit unless they want to sit on their hands and wish the years away. Anyway you can run it as preserved with a handful of Mark 1s behind it; it'll appeal to many more buyers in that context than just those modelling L&NW pre-grouping.

• Like 3

Why Oh Why does every new model announcement degenerate into a "Wish they had done xxxxx instead"

Frothing and W**h List***  are due later in the year.

I wholeheartedly agree with you Derek, we get treated to something interesting and it only takes a matter of hours for someone wanting something else to take to the keyboard.  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Similarly Gordon Highlander, and you can run her in full and splendid GNSR colours on a BR era layout! Bearing in mind that, overall length of service/livery combinations and the popularity of the subject, I still find it peculiar why the Scottish four haven't been produced to modern RTR standards.

I suspect the simple reason is marketing and the various manufacturers' assessment of the market  and where (to some extent) their product is bought.

But if they don't do a whatever there is a very simple alternative - if the interest exists and can be brought together then the next step is to commission a model and take on the commercial risk which goes with that commissioning - obviously something which is going to be popular will result in more than enough profit to fund the next one.  And that is hardly a tongue-in-cheek comment on my part -there is already a 'kickstart' project underway for a Class 71 electric while elsewhere someone is trying crowd funding for an N gauge 'flying banana' so there are ways of getting off the ground projects for items manufacturers have either not got to or have not considered commercial enough.

I don't see an end to manufacturers and commissioners in the trade offering their various goodies for a long time to come but they can't do everything, and never will, and as they are businesses they have to put their investment where they can see the best likely returns.  That leaves an opportunity for those seeking things which might otherwise be considered 'less commercial' - and if the interest is there all you've got to do is bring together customers and their money with a factory.

(sorry for going OT and I'm not moaning, Bachmann have now namanaged a second loco which I put at as my first choices in the relevant Group list in the  poll  :sungum:  )

• RMweb Gold

Such, good news.

Despite my GW leanings(Rabidity) I do have a soft spot for these locos, and one will be purchased as an excursion loco.

One presumes that there will be no terrible rush to save up as the 64xx locos I have on pre-order have yet to see the light of day. Plus we need a 74xx cab version!

However, Mr Webb's (my mother's maiden name perchance) little gem will also fit in very well with the GWR/LNWR flavour of some of the Wrekin AG layouts (EMGS) that are currently in build

• Like 1

I knew about this loco the other week, and I said at the time to the guys I heard from that I'd be having one.

Not that I need one but for 2 reasons,

1) I think it's a seriously cute model and

2) all the current generations of my family (3) have been hauled by it on the K&WVR, so it's a sentimental reason.

Sometimes, it's all the persuasion you need :-)

Cheers

Dave

• Like 7

Not my scale, not my railway, but I hope it does well.

Why the obsession with matching coaching stock?  A far better companion for quite of few of the pre-group locos issued so far would be a goods brake van of the appropriate company. Many of these vans lasted a long time and would go just as well in later colours.   With some (always popular) PO's between them you have a train.

Edited by asmay2002

Not my scale, not ,my railway but I hope it does well.

Why the obsession with matching coaching stock?  A far better companion for quite of few of the pre-group locos issued so far would be a goods brake van of the appropriate company. Many of these vans lasted a long time and would go just as well in later colours.   With some (always popular) PO's between them you have a train.

I realise that mentioning kits will be outside the pale for many but London Road Models do a 10T LNWR Brake Van kit and Ratio do Loco Coal/four plank LNWR wagon kits (although masquerading as LMS). There are also plenty of easy to assemble PO wagon kits including the POWsides  pre-painted and lettered kits.

The irony is that, owing to it's poor loco braking system, the Coal Tanks were more often used on passenger trains where the carriage brakes would do the work for them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yet another lovely pre-grouping model. Fantastic. Totally wrong for me but I am afraid Mr Wallet will have to man up and cough up the readies. ......

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wholeheartedly agree with you Derek, we get treated to something interesting and it only takes a matter of hours for someone wanting something else to take to the keyboard.  :scratchhead:

Fairenoughski. Was only replying to New Haven Neils, it seemed to me , entirely sensible suggestion , re Caley Blue in post 49, which was similar to comments on 36,37,39,41 and 43. If we don't make such suggestions, how will Bachmann ever get feedback

Fairenoughski. Was only replying to New Haven Neils, it seemed to me , entirely sensible suggestion , re Caley Blue in post 49, which was similar to comments on 36,37,39,41 and 43. If we don't make such suggestions, how will Bachmann ever get feedback

But surely we dont want the frothing and wi** li** season brought any further forward do we ?

The topic is about the announcement of a LNWR 0-6-2t coal tank.

Roll on 2016 quickly please :) I was mightily impressed with the G2a when Bachmann released it and see no reason that the Coal Tank will be of any less a quality build, especially based on there other offerings. Minimum of one, probably 2 for me.

J. M. Dunn, your efforts spear heading the preserve the 1054 coal tank campaign which saw her saved and go to Penrhyn Castle were not in vain, would you believe what has happened to her since. RIP.  

Regards the 0-4-4, this might possibly appear from the locomotive manufacturers when the George new build reaches fruition. www.lnwrgeorgevtrust.org.uk in the same way as Tornado.

Coach wise the technology is out there for someone to produce Lithograph sides such as the PC ones in suitable stock ready for the release to compliment the Coal Tank. The PC kits are buildable by the less experienced modeller so it would open the door for many

The preserved LNWR locos at the NRM I fear will be down to waiting for them to produce as part of the NRM collection series but I suspect they would be well down the list of what the NRM will produce next

Edited by LNWR lives on

With the current Aspinall 2-4-2 and now the promised Coal Tank, I'm thinking of modelling the Wirral Railway in the early 30's, before electrification....

The G2a would also fit in with the scene around Birkenhead North shed.

Then I think about the coaching stock.  Or perhaps someone could be persuaded to produce a Class 503 EMU? 

Oh well......

• RMweb Premium

Just wondering , was there any indication of the livery the LMS one will have? I know it says LMS black, but does this mean with large numerals on tank side and LMS on Cab or LMS on tanks and number on cab? Might be a nice running mate for the Lanky tank in red. Depends on price, though, as I don't really require either. Thinking could have a nice wee LMS layout though.

Guest spet0114

What an excellent bit of news, I'll be snapping one of these up without doubt.

Well done Bachmann!

Two questions for those more versed in LNWR matters...

1. I note that the LNWR version will be in unlined black. Am I right in thinking that this means it could represent either the preserved loco as she is today, or as she was at some point pre-1923? Alternatively, are there subtle detail differences that would mean that the model is either one or the other but not both?

2. As the LNWR livery version is unlined, it suggests to me that there is the possibiltiy that a lined LNWR version may follow, maybe as a Collectors Club special? Would such a thing be prototypical, or were the coal tanks never lined in pre-grouping days?

Cheers
Adrian

Edit: Just read Post #34 which answers the second question.

Edited by spet0114

Adian,

in their early days (1880's) it appears they were painted plain with just the brass numberplate for decoration. This is how 1054 probably appeared when built so Bachmann have been accurate with that. The "normal" LNWR livery as copied by BR for mixed traffic engines was applied from the early 1890's so Coal Tanks could be seen in either livery. Applying the lining with transfers wouldn't be too difficult.

Peter Skellon, who is heavily involved with the preserved Coal Tank and wrote the excellent book Bashers Gadgets and Mourners I referred to earlier, posted this on the LNWR Society forum after attending Bachmann's "launch" event:

Three versions are listed. 1054 in unlined black (although I'd expected it to be lined); 7841 in LMS post 1927 freight livery, and 58900 in BR.

If anyone wants to fully understand any minor changes to the class over the years, different liveries, etc. I heartily suggest that they buy the book. However I suspect that most purchasers will simply buy whatever they feel best fits their modelling fantasies. However, as the BR livery was unlined I think it more than likely they'll do a lined version later for those that don't want to line the  plain black version.

Jol

• RMweb Gold

What an excellent bit of news, I'll be snapping one of these up without doubt.

Well done Bachmann!

Two questions for those more versed in LNWR matters...

1. I note that the LNWR version will be in unlined black. Am I right in thinking that this means it could represent either the preserved loco as she is today, or as she was at some point pre-1923? Alternatively, are there subtle detail differences that would mean that the model is either one or the other but not both?

2. As the LNWR livery version is unlined, it suggests to me that there is the possibiltiy that a lined LNWR version may follow, maybe as a Collectors Club special? Would such a thing be prototypical, or were the coal tanks never lined in pre-grouping days?

Cheers

Adrian

Edit: Just read Post #34 which answers the second question.

I attended the excellent event at the KWVR and we were given an A4 sheet on the new coal tank model and also a small booklet

On one it states that 35-050 will be unlined and on the other it states that 35-050 will be lined. It is many months from production so I am sure it will be clarified but I did think that the lined livery would perhaps be more popular, other models in fancy pre-grouping liveries have gone down a storm 

So 7841 in LMS post 1927 freight livery, will simply be black with LMS on the tanks? Sorry not too up on LMS liveries

I think so.  About 1927-8 the LMS changed their mainline locos to have cabside numbers, reduced the number of loco classes qualifying for crimson lake to predominantly top link express types, and put the numbers on the bunker of tank locos and moved the "LMS" to the tank sides.  The differences then were confined to whether the lettering and numbering were shaded, lining types and whether some lining was applied to black locos or not (and whether works made errors in the application of lining), and the sizes of letters and numbers.  If I recall correctly from Jenkinson and Essery's detailed survey of LMS loco liveries, post 1928 freight livery was plain black with "LMS" on the tank sides.  Which will be perfect for my LMS small town terminus layout local services! 

The model is expected to be available in around 18 months time.

As much as I am pleased to hear this annoucement from Bachmann, I can't help feeling it is a knee-jerk reaction to ward off the naysayers and the negative feeling emanating from the main annoucement a month ago. My personal feeling is that it is completely illogial for Bachmann to have annouced a new model at this time. My understanding was that a reduced catalogue was delivered as a direct consequence of various delays in production/shipping. Therefore, why have Bachmann sought to heap more pressure on theirselves by throwing another model into the ring? By Bachmann maths, 18 months will equate to a hopeful date of 2 years (but more realistically 2 and a half), so the question has to be asked - why not just wait until next March? Its hardly like there is a lack of models to come from the company, and with the increase in prices it will come as no suprise that certain models will sit on shelves for longer than they should. Not only that, the model would be at a stage whereby a more firm release date could be given. I'm prepared to predict many grumbles in circa 18 months time when there clearly won't be any sign of the model.

I just cannot understand at all the reasoning behind this annoucement at this time and in this manner. Needless to say though, i'm looking forward to owning one!

Edited by 84A