First of all I would like to say hello, as I am new to this forum. 

This is new project. It is a roundy round for my test track for my DCC locos.

Track Plan

post-23835-0-73789400-1409514048_thumb.jpg

After looking on the internet I came across Kidmore Magna and Littleton Curve. I like both of these projects,but I wanted to do something a little different. So after some more internet hunting mainly YouTube. My main search was for lines that run along or cross estuary,rivers,lakes and coastal lines. After many hours slaving over wonderful videos of different locos in different wonderful parts of the UK, I came up with a few ideas. 

So my plan was set, The line will run out of a cliff and return in to the cliff but will also cross a river that leads in to an estuary at low tide. This gives me a chance to model water and a muddy beach area as well as rocks and normal grass and herbage areas.

The base board for this project is 2ft by 2.6ft and the raised track section is 6mm ply board mounted on small plywood blocks to a hight of 2 inches. The track is peco code 80 set track which I have used the peco electro fishplates for the droppers for the track. I plan on controlling the points with the wire and tube method as it is only a test track and I didn't want to go down the route of point motors. 

So here is where I have got up to so far today. Oh also making rocks as well which is fun, only a few more casts to go lol. I will post more as I carry on with the modelling.

post-23835-0-32298600-1409520640_thumb.jpg

Thank you for reading and take care, Jon

Hello everyone, and thank you for your kind words. 

So its being a busy week at Weaver Cove HQ. I spent the being of the week making rock molds. The molds I used are the WS C1230 Outcroppings, C1233 embankment and C1241 Layered Rock. The casts where filled with light weight hyrdocal. Once the C1241 layered rock.  cast where dried I broke them up leaving just one whole. The next two nights was spent playing rock jigsaw till I was happy with the out come.

post-23835-0-88709900-1410032470_thumb.jpg 

next stage was the landscaping and colouring the rocks. I started with the rocks,using the spotting method, with WS stone and black earth pigments.This was followed up with the top of the cliff and the sides being painted in burnt umber. After it dried I placed a thick layer of WS fine turf earth blend, followed by a light covering of burnt grass. This was set in place and left to dry while I took to placing little clumps of WS under bush and the cliff face, this was followed up on to the top of the cliff along with some clumps of fine leaf foliage.

post-23835-0-59772800-1410033059_thumb.jpg

I have being giving it some thought and I will be running Weaver Cove as a WR line as well as a Test track. The plan stock will be a Class 14, 22,35,121 and 122. As well as a 101 on a special run from Birmingham. 

I'm sorry about the pictures but if I feel better tomorrow I will take the layout outside and takes some better pictures with my camera.

Thanks for looking and everyone enjoy there weekend Jon. 

• 2 weeks later...

More progress as being done to the board this time on the front left side of the board. This started with the construction of a small embankment. This as being constructed out of 1/4" extruded foam for the supports. Then the gap was filled with the packing paper,and then masking tap was placed over the paper in a criss cross grid pattern for the plaster cloth.
I did my normal trick of painting the cloth with burnt umber,then a a thick layer of WS earth blend followed by the burnt grass. This time I added a little static brunt grass and light static grass mix to add a little contrast to ground cover. Then next came the trees made from olive green fine foliage and the under brush as well was added. 
The last job I've done to the layout this weekend was to place down the Cornish fine graded sand as ballast.

post-23835-0-77202400-1410815859_thumb.jpg

post-23835-0-65577800-1410815927_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived