Hattons announce OO Gauge King

Andy Y

Blimey Dave, 1361 and a King, you're certainly straddling the GWR loco spectrum!!

Nice one, good luck with it, sounds like an impressive spec.

Using GWR standardisation, surely no further work involved by Dave? I thought all GW engines were the same...

Stewart

Fully detailed cab backhead and the bogie with no daylight and still capable of 24 inch curves would be superb.

Yup, I've got full backhead detail in mind and I'm toying with the idea of both the front bogie and the front axle being sprung and weighted.

However it's going to be a lot of fun playing with ideas during the relatively quick gestation of it that's for sure.

Cheers

Dave

That is going to be one heck of a task Dave - effectively taking on the class from, almost, beginning to end with all the changes that came in between - especially in the BR period when the final state (double chimney, high temperature superheat, renewed front end and so on) started to almost make them look like different engines from certain angles.  

So a big task and the very best of luck with it, and good to see a further commissioner has expressed faith in you and the factory you are using in China.  I hope they're not too upset in Swindon ;)

Who's going to ask for the different height cab etc for BR loading gauge nowadays? More to the point who's going to notice? Lol

edit: reread the first post and its due end of next year / early 16.

Heres to a decent bonus next year and I will be getting one...

Dave, a quick question.  What is your intention regarding the chassis?  Will any axles be sprung, and will P4 wheels fit between the splashers?

Hi mate,

Hopefully I'll be able to answer that soon, please bear with me.

Cheers

Dave

King John ordered, if I were a rich man I would order a fleet of these magnificent beasts. Will you give us regular updates etc. like you did for the Dapol Western Dave? It would be nice to see it coming to fruition.

Hi mate,

Obviously as its a client commission I won't be able to say much, as they have the perfect right to do that, but I will, with permission, post what I can , when I can.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I don't know what other modellers feelings are but I would like the front end to be minus a tension lock coupling so more detail can be incorporated especially on the front of the bogie.I wouldn't be using my King tender first so just a thought.Bachmann's City is spoilt by a hideous coupling.

Of course I might be in the minority here.

Edit to add missing word.

Who's going to ask for the different height cab etc for BR loading gauge nowadays? More to the point who's going to notice? Lol

I was just thinking about that! I'm sure you can manage it. I might have to save some pennies for one of these having been on the footplate of 6024 on the Torbay's on a  few occasions

Dave, I am curious how you can research more models than the big manufacturers when they each have several people doing just that (I believe). Is there more than 1 of you? Do you ever sleep? An impressive array of announcements recently. Looking forward to seeing the first products soon.

Matt

• RMweb Gold

Hi mate,

Hopefully I'll be able to answer that soon, please bear with me.

Cheers

Dave

Cool, I will hold fire awaiting further information before I place a pre order.

Fingers crossed for a sprung centre axle and more importantly that the chassis will take P4 wheels without major surgery

Was thinking earlier today about the chances of you takeling a GW 4-6-0, wasnt expecting to get home to see you doing a King!

Fantastic news Dave, even this early into the project I think you've pulled a blinder with this one.

Late crest BR job about to be ordered and, er..... (easily dented tin hit firmly on aided by a chin strap)..... can we have some nice state of the art Collett stock to hang behind these truly magnificent machines please...? Tongue slightly in cheek with that last comment and I know that any thoughts of rolling stock will be way off in the distance, if at all, but, well... who else are we going to ask? ;)

One of 'the three' at Didcot alongside another Collett masterpeice in June 2012, still oozing pure power...

post-7638-0-88212800-1409596512_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Apart from the plethora of detail and innovation planned by Dave I would make a plea for any prospective supplier of a sound chip to go out and capture the distinctive and powerful bark of a King, not for this monarch a pathetic chuff, it needs a roar!

I don't what other modellers feelings are but I would like the front end to be minus a tension lock coupling so more detail can be incorporated especially on the front of the bogie.I wouldn't be using my King tender first so just a thought.Bachmann's City is spoilt by a hideous coupling.

Of course I might be in the minority here.

So a second bogie without the tension lock would help? ;-)

Dave, I am curious how you can research more models than the big manufacturers when they each have several people doing just that (I believe). Is there more than 1 of you? Do you ever sleep? An impressive array of announcements recently. Looking forward to seeing the first products soon.

Matt

Sleep? Eh? What's that?

It's quite easy really, I cheat! I ask you guys your opinions and you are all kind enough to venture them.

Having said that I do a lot of leg work myself, visiting the NRM etc. mind you laser scanning helps a lot for models where a real loco exists. The Fell loco I'm currently working on is taking longer than I thought though ;-) (joke)

Blimey, we've got a fictitious liveried version here already!

"HK01 GWR lined green with Great (roundel) Western on tender". Perhaps that really ought to read "Great (garter crest) Western"?

(yes, I know they also list HK03 with a shirtbutton...)  

• RMweb Gold

So a second bogie without the tension lock would help? ;-)

I'd prefer the second bogie to be the one with the tension lock  - these engines did very little tender first train haulage (basically only ecs between Old Oak & Paddington & vice versa) so little use for the front coupling; and the packaging might be simpler without a front coupling to worry about?

Utterly tremendous news! I've felt for a long time now that this was a low-hanging fruit for either the red or the blue team, so massive kudos to you Dave for finally promising a state of the art King in OO! I genuinely think this will be considered a gear shift in the RTR market in the years to come - with the King being such an iconic yet necessary prototype for almost all Western aficionados. In short, I think these will sell by the bucket load. 

I'll echo what others have said with the impressive breadth of livery variations, but now I'm torn between the wartime unlined green and the immediate post-war lined green. Surely my yet-to-be-built post-war secondary mainline can justify two Kings with differing liveries?

Cheers, 

CoY

Archived