Hattons announce OO Gauge King

Andy Y

Just pre-ordered one of these.

Photo of 6009 taken approaching Reading West on 16 June 1951.  I am afraid it is in dire need of a bit of TLC from Photoshop.

Incidentally, the only two B&W pictures I have of Kings said to be in blue livery from around this time show tenders with no "BRITISH RAILWAYS" and no early emblem:  just plain.  One is 6001 and the other is 6026.  Can this be right?

Richard

post-18453-0-44898000-1409601793_thumb.jpg

Could someone advise what the livery is on this one please?

HK06

DJ Models (Dave Jones)
Class 6000 King 4-6-0 6001 "King Edward VII" in BR ultramarine blue with BRITISH RAILWAYS (BR style) on tender
OO Gauge (1:76 Scale)

I've done a unsuccesful Google search with no results :( Is the blue lighter than that on 6023 now ?

6000, 23 and 24 ordered, to go with the BR(W) Panniers from Kernow. 

Great Western.

HK06

DJ Models (Dave Jones)

Class 6000 King 4-6-0 6001 "King Edward VII" in BR ultramarine blue with BRITISH RAILWAYS (BR style) on tender

OO Gauge (1:76 Scale)

I've done a unsuccesful Google search with no results :( Is the blue lighter than that on 6023 now ?

Great Western.

Way back on the old RMWeb there was a post on BR liveries after nationalisation:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23313

with the key paragraph being 

"

During 1948 experimental liveries were tried :

Examples of the principal express loco types (King, Merchant Navy,A4, Princess-Coronation) were painted in dark blue (not the later standard Caledonian blue) with BRITISH RAILWAYS in Gill sans. One Merchant Navy was given dark blue with 3 red stripes in SR style but this was abandoned quickly.

Examples of other express locos (Castles, Lord Nelsons, Ivatt Patriots etc.) were given experimental light apple green livery with BRITISH RAILWAYS in Gill sans. 

"

Suspect it is the same blue as 6023, but with different lettering.

Luke

<snip>

Suspect it is the same blue as 6023, but with different lettering.

</snip>

On the other hand 

http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveriesloco1948.html

says

"Experimental liveries appeared in 1948 on some express locos: lined apple green, and lined dark blue.

Kings were painted in a lined lighter blue livery from 1949, but they began to revert to green from 1951."

So it could be either.

Good Luck Dave!

Luke

HK06

DJ Models (Dave Jones)[/size]Class 6000 King 4-6-0 6001 "King Edward VII" in BR ultramarine blue with [/size]BRITISH RAILWAYS (BR style) on tender[/size]OO Gauge (1:76 Scale)[/size]

Great Western.

It's the experimental purple blue, I think 4 kings carried it. It should be lined in cream and redpost-5983-0-77649300-1409607319.jpg

So a second bogie without the tension lock would help? ;-)

Surely there will be three bogies then - to include the slotted bogie ! - I'll get my coat.

Seriously Dave. Many thanks. I have a couple of Kings to build. I can now divert limited kit building time to engines not covered in rtr (if there are any?)

Mike Wiltshire

^

Note also the narrowness of 6001's cabside window. Can't remember seeing this on any other "King".

It carried an experimental rod driven speedo in the 1930's that required a large box on the outside of the cab, hence modifications to the cab window.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrs1566.htm

Mike Wiltshire

Archived