Series 2 Land Rover now available in T Gauge

NeilMac

Just to let you know that my new T gauge shop is open at Shapeways, and the first item on sale is a series 2 short wheelbase Land Rover. Could be just the thing to add detail to your streets and station car park whilst also being an identifiably British vehicle. Also, as the real things are seemingly just about indestructable, they are equally valid for all layouts set from the 1960 through to the present day.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/T450

post-997-0-54321600-1409646495.jpg

I have other plans for future products;

US 40' freight cars - boxcars with roofwalks, ice reefers and possibly (if I can make it work) a 4 tub pickle car.

UK 4 wheel goods wagons for the steam era - depending on me getting the chassis correct to work with the separately available axles, and also sorting the couplings.

The above are all being worked on, but they will not be added to the shop until I have worked out all the problems and have received at least one sucessful test print myself.

Looks the part.

Where's the spare wheel?

A seperate spare wheel would have given the option of mounting on the bonnet.

Gordon A

Bristol

Gordon,

The model could be ammended to include a spare wheel on the bonnet, but I decided to model it without for the first print. I had considered including a separate item, however the minimum thickness that shapeways will print in 0.6mm, which scales out to nearly a foot, so more suitable to a Porsche than a Land Rover. Even though the current tyres are that width they are at least underneath so not overly visible, but a part to add on to the bonnet would have been quite visible and looked very out of scale. A thin slice of Evergreen or similar syrene rodding of a suitable size would be the best way to add this.

• 1 month later...

I have now added multi pack options to the basic Land Rover available from Shapeways to keep down the cost per vehicle.

Whilst creating the 3 and 6 packs I also took the opportunity to create variations to the basic vehicle, so the 3 pack now contains my original model plus one with a spare wheel on the bonnet and another with a van body. The 6 pack contains 2 of each.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/T450

post-997-0-68133600-1412758181.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Looking really good for something so small! Love it! I'm building a T gauge diorama currently for which this would be perfect.

I don't mean to be rude but this is a little on the expensive side though :S Any chance of a slightly cheaper alternative?

Because of the level of detail needed for this model it can only be printed in FUD, or Frosted Ultra Detail, which is Shapways most accurate material (this mode will not even print in the cheaper WSF material). Even this only allows detail down to a scale 2 inches in T scale. Unfortunately this is also the most expensive material that Shapeways offer, so they are in effect setting the price.

I did find out that the actual cost for a model of this size is only a few cents, but there is then a fixed fee of 5 dollars (although you would pay the euro equivalent when ordering). This is however for what Shapeways consider to be a model, and really means one computer file. I have therefore added 3 and 6 pack options for this vehicle. With these you only pay the fixed fee once, so that does reduce equivalent cost per vehicle.

Archived