81A Oldoak

I have one for sale, never seriously run, except for testing along a 2 foot length of track (I have no layout).

- Ixion factory painted - blue.

- Light/mid weathering.

- Brass etched number (No.1), name (Ladysmith) and correct 'MW' works plates (red).   Note: Works plates added since these photos were taken.

- Crew (2) fitted. White metal.

- Fitted with Full ZIMO DCC & SOUND using MX645 decoder with ESU speaker in enclosure fitted (invisibly) between the frames. Plus large capacity 'stay-alive' capacitor in smokebox.

- Currently fitted with Dingham auto couplers ....but original 3-links can be refitted for sale if required.

PM or mail me for further details, etc., if interested.

Can upload video to YouTube showing it in action with sound, if required.

Guide price: Offers in the region of £550. Post free.

Don Mason - Nottingham

post-14917-0-15789100-1444773125_thumb.jpg

post-14917-0-94923600-1444773150_thumb.jpg

post-14917-0-35660400-1444773159_thumb.jpg

post-14917-0-45262400-1444773175.jpg

Edited by orford
  • Like 2

When I built one of Peter Stamper's Agenoria kits, ironically (in view of Ixion's Minerva's latest model) a Peckett E class, I adopted a simple compensating scheme. I fixed one axle and arranged for the other to rock, with the axle bearing against a rod fixed fore and aft.

134-3408_IMG-2500x733_zpsa3d215b0.jpg

I recently acquired an Ixion MW and I'm wondering if a similar arrangement might be possible. I would treat the driven axle as fixed - the springs are stiff enough to render it almost so. It would then be a simple task if a rod to control the ride height can be fitted - one only has to remove the springs to allow the axle to move freely in response to any variations in track levels.

Chaz

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

In a word - yes.

I have done one with softer coil springs trouble is I can't remember where I got them. I suspect they were Kadee but they'd spent long enough in the bits box to become anonymous.

I am doing another very slowly at the moment which will have wire leaf springs and a new motor and gearbox.

• 1 year later...

What's the interest at at the moment for a possible re run?

As you can read in Post #1 we solicited expressions of interest in a rerun of the Ixion Manning Wardle. The guide price in September 2017 was GBP460 including VAT.  The minimum run was 50 models and we would probably have authorised production with 30 commitments to buy as the remaining 20 would probably have sold reasonably quickly. Unfortunately, we only receivd 19 firm expressions of interest. The price would be at least 25% more today as the exchange rate was GBP = USD1.66 compared with USD1.25 today. Production and costs have also increased over the same period so today's price would probably be around GBP630.

As you can read in Post #1 we solicited expressions of interest in a rerun of the Ixion Manning Wardle. The guide price in September 2017 was GBP460 including VAT.  The minimum run was 50 models and we would probably have authorised production with 30 commitments to buy as the remaining 20 would probably have sold reasonably quickly. Unfortunately, we only receivd 19 firm expressions of interest. The price would be at least 25% more today as the exchange rate was GBP = USD1.66 compared with USD1.25 today. Production and costs have also increased over the same period so today's price would probably be around GBP630.

That price is going to be the killer for the project. I'm surprised that you did not get more expressions of interest.

Guest Isambarduk

I'm surprised that you did not get more expressions of interest.

Well, Martin, I suppose it depends where you stand.  It seems to me that, at the time, there was little competition in people's hearts and minds for a small loco whereas today there are more to choose from, at high quality and offered at a lower price.  I would surmise that the MW was popular at the time because it was small and available RTR, not because it was a MW, particularly.

David

A run of 1,000 mass-produced in plastic and metal could probably be done for a retail price of £250-270 including VAT provided the pound sterling holds at around $1.20 to $1.25. This would provide a fair return for the various risk-takers in the production chain.

• Like 1

M/W H class locos with cab variants could be very popular. The Great Central had a few, as did the North Eastern. I stand to be corrected but I think they were one of the longest running type of M/W loco classes, being built from 1880's right though to the 1920's.

Marc

The earliest H class that I am aware of is one built for the GER no. 200 in 1872:

_57qrev.jpg

Link: http://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/32-locomotives/locomotives?start=40

The last H class that I am personally aware of is NSWGR no. 1021 (formerly no. 1212) built 1916.

1021a.jpg

Link: http://www.australiansteam.com/1021.htm

So it has a build history of at least 44 years!

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Like 1

Worth noting that there are different frames, a different smokebox and a different cab, so one would have to research a particular prototype and decide upon it. Although I imagine that the later H class similar to 1021 would be the more popular as most of us are modelling the 20th century.

The earliest H class that I am aware of is one built for the GER no. 200 in 1872:

_57qrev.jpg

Link: http://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/32-locomotives/locomotives?start=40

The last H class that I am personally aware of is NSWGR no. 1021 (formerly no. 1212) built 1916.

1021a.jpg

Link: http://www.australiansteam.com/1021.htm

So it has a build history of at least 44 years!

I like the GER loco.

Marc

• 2 years later...
10 hours ago, hartleymartin said:

I'm guessing that a re-run and a plastic version are both no longer viable? If you could do them for under 300 GBP I'd probably buy two straight away and two more later on.

Has the ship not sailed with the Minerva MW now in production?