Hornby king

B15nac

• RMweb Gold

Just had a quick reply from Hornby saying that R3535 has been dropped from the range

This is an odd decision for the simple reason it covers the period 1945-48 which is thus not represented in the Hornby King catalogue.A glaring omission .It was one of the "Final Year " series..I think the wrong one got the chop.Why ?

• RMweb Gold

This is an odd decision for the simple reason it covers the period 1945-48 which is thus not represented in the Hornby King catalogue.A glaring omission .It was one of the "Final Year " series..I think the wrong one got the chop.Why ?

More than likely down to the fact the Hornby have shifted the second releases in the numbers they (previous management) though they would.

It may well turn up in the 2018 range instead.

• RMweb Gold

We won't be getting any post war liveried Colletts either by the looks of it. :cry: 

• RMweb Gold

More than likely down to the fact the Hornby have shifted the second releases in the numbers they (previous management) though they would.

It may well turn up in the 2018 range instead.

I hope you are right...but R 3535 was one IMHO that would appeal to modellers like Robin because he actually models that specific period and ....excuse the term again...to war babies like yours truly because it is still in the memory,believe it or not.Why ditch a viable new marketing opportunity in preference to churning out yet another King in pre war livery when there is still a pile of them out there unsold ? Yours disappointed of Pointend.....er that's chez moi. B####r !

A letter to The Times in preparation....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Please tell me this isn't true! Isn't R3535 supposed to a BR livery version or I am living in vain hope that I'll get a postwar GW King?

Sadly,it appears so. See all you GW torch bearers at a mass lobby of the Hornby stand at The NEC next week...no it's post war GW btw.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

Sadly,it appears so. See all you GW torch bearers at a mass lobby of the Hornby stand at The NEC next week...no it's post war GW btw.

Not so ! https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/the-final-day-gwr-4-6-0-king-george-iii-6000-king-class.html

Although who would pay that I'm not sure. :O Just clarify on the coaches, Paul Isles suggested the Colletts could have a rest from the catalogue, I'm not saying a post war livery won't ever happen.

Perhaps it was simply a case that they were next up for manufacture, someone's crunched the numbers, seen other GWR liveried editions out there on dusty shelves for sub-£100, and realised that they'd struggle to shift them at £195 RRP and they've been pulled in exchange for something else in the manufacturing slot? 

Strangely, despite being a 1947 GWR modeller myself, this doesn't really bother me, because I was baulking at the gradually increasing price from when it was first announced to present anyway (first announced, iirc at around £160 rrp, and as of yesterday was showing at £195 rrp!).

What have I done instead? Well, I've now got three of the Shirtbuttoned Kings, all for well under £100 each (the loco-only release for around £80 mint off Ebay, and two from the Bristolian train packs, which at £140 a throw and say £30 each for the three Collett coaches, made the Kings £50 a piece!). Throw in a little bit of modelling time with t-cut, cocktail sticks, Fox transfers and some Testors Dullcote, and I will have three G-Crest-W Kings.

The only real fly in this ointment is what Rob alludes to - will this kibosh any prospect of Hawkworth-liveried Collett coaches anytime soon? I do hope not because that livery is a sod to apply, personally speaking!

Whoops! (Read before you speak...)

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire

• RMweb Gold

Not so ! https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/the-final-day-gwr-4-6-0-king-george-iii-6000-king-class.html

Although who would pay that I'm not sure. :O Just clarify on the coaches, Paul Isles suggested the Colletts could have a rest from the catalogue, I'm not saying a post war livery won't ever happen.

Thanks Robin....panic over.......Hornby's numerical cataloging system combined with weird website and ,mea culpa,my own oversight led me to jump to ,fortunately,the wrong conclusion. 'Umble apologies all round......So G crest W is still on. Excellent news,except for the insane amount of Wonga being required.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Regarding the "King James I" R3331 - am I missing something, is there a reason no-one is buying this particular model? Did Hornby over-estimate demand, is everyone 'Kinged out'?

At £70 it seems rude not to get one - in these times of more expensive models it is almost the cheapest new large model you can buy - apart from the Railroad A1s.

Regarding the "King James I" R3331 - am I missing something, is there a reason no-one is buying this particular model? Did Hornby over-estimate demand, is everyone 'Kinged out'?

At £70 it seems rude not to get one - in these times of more expensive models it is almost the cheapest new large model you can buy - apart from the Railroad A1s.

Perhaps Hornby flooded the market to kill off the opposition - the hattons king.

And it is a bargain, along with the Bristolian set.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps Hornby flooded the market to kill off the opposition - the hattons king.

And it is a bargain, along with the Bristolian set.

I was really looking forward to the Hatton's king but like others took a punt on the Bristolian set although not happy with their shade of green. Feedback to Paul Isles at a show confirmed that Hornby plan to address this on future releases. Here's mine in post war condition.

post-126-0-39101100-1515928972_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I was really looking forward to the Hatton's king but like others took a punt on the Bristolian set although not happy with their shade of green. Feedback to Paul Isles at a show confirmed that Hornby plan to address this on future releases. Here's mine in post war condition.

attachicon.gifpost-126-0-13401200-1509117382.jpg

I think that for post-war condition Hornby's green is more acceptable, considering how tired some of the engines looked after the war was over.

I have four of the new Hornby Kings and would love to get more at current prices but I cannot justify it, as there were only ever 30 of the beasts in reality and there are only so many I can realistically expect to fit into my secondary main line (which is Rule 1 anyway given that they were restricted to London - Plymouth and London - Birmingham mainlines).

I do however think that the advent of these silly-cheap Hornby Kings puts the bullet in the head of a DJ Models King release in OO now. 

CoY

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have four of the new Hornby Kings and would love to get more at current prices but I cannot justify it, as there were only ever 30 of the beasts in reality and there are only so many I can realistically expect to fit into my secondary main line (which is Rule 1 anyway given that they were restricted to London - Plymouth and London - Birmingham mainlines).

I do however think that the advent of these silly-cheap Hornby Kings puts the bullet in the head of a DJ Models King release in OO now. 

CoY

And ventured as far north as Shrewsbury and even down the North to West as far as Pontypool Road on rare occasion in GW days.