Ironstone Railways UK - American Style Dump Car Wagons

Can't wait to see these. Having scratch built my 7mm one I know how complicated they are (hence only having done one). Now I'm (occasionally) working in 4mm these will be perfect.

Edited by Jim15B

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Quick question,

Do you want dummy buckeye couplings supplied or source your own working Buckeyes such as Kadee #58 which will be the nearest correct size, #5 is actually too big ironically despite being H0.

Dummy buckeye couplings to be supplied as laminated etches if to go down the route of them being supplied.

The Oxfordshire coupling pocket is to be produced for Locos also have got the measurements required.

Edited by RThompson

• RMweb Gold

I have a cunning plan for these - 6 sets in hand from the US. 

http://www.sergentengineering.com/

Paul A.

Ah yes, the magic wand couplings, forgot about these until you mentioned them.

Standard Kadees won't fit straight in due to the width of the chassis channels so would need adapting to fit and of course when it comes to fitting to locomotives.

• RMweb Gold

The artwork for the etches has been sent off for the 4mm scale version, lets hope it fits together first time! 

It is a pretty big sheet due to the amount of parts required to assemble the wagon.

I have had delivered a pack of Kadee no58 couplings and they are far better. Due to the design of the wagon its not possible to fit these straight into the wagon but there is a pivot point etched onto the wagon.

The couplings will have to be trimmed and a 0.5mm hole drilled to pivot on.

The loco coupling bracket will require the same treatment but has the hole cast all the way through so can be secured behind the bufferbeam and can be pivoted slightly if required.

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a very nice book that had from its publishing in 2017 until now remained unknown to me -

IMG_0493.JPG.c75aff7dc7098c460fbeab112536a08f.JPG

The author has has written it to complement, rather than duplicate, the info found in Eric Tonk's work.

From the company Minutes comes information on the first machinery bought in 1917:

Two railroad pattern steam shovels - a Marion and a Bucyrus, and 20 x Western 10cu yd dump cars.. The shovels and presumably the dump cars were imported from USA.

A (presumed) quote from the Minutes explains the acquisition of the dump cars -

the "dumping of 4 tons of ironstone from a height of 4 - 6ft is bad for the standard railway company's wagons" !

The early photographs suggest that the later uk-built dump cars were exact copies of this first batch of Western cars.  The first U.K. wagons were ordered from Gloucester Wagon Co and Charles Roberts in 1924 (20 wagons each).  In 1932 when times got tough 10 wagons were sold to Stewarts & Lloyds (one of OXI's parents), with more being sold later.

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello everyone,

last night got a few hours to carry on with the test build of the 4mm scale Ironstone dumpcar.

So far, the build is going well but there are areas that need reworking.

I've even fitted the compensation rocking unit to this.

also included is one standard drawgear bufferbeam as per a few prototypes so you do not need a a buckeye fitted loco to haul/propel these.

DSC_3221.JPG.7b5c030e1a05fcc64df1c5a383fd394f.JPG

DSC_3222.JPG.a7ad005224fb6187d94e37ffbaeaee82.JPG

DSC_3223.JPG.bd82b66e811411dde81597f9cd07346d.JPG

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2