Kernow OO gauge LSWR Road Van

DJM Dave

Was there one in the Jidenco/Falcon ranges?

There was certainly one in the D.& S. range - which would have been worth their weight in gold on Ebay until the DJ announcement - but I don't think Jidenco/Falcon did THIS varriant : you might be thinking of the later flush-sided double-ended van ........ and if you'd like to make me an offer for my unbuilt Jidenco ......................

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

and if you'd like to make me an offer for my unbuilt Jidenco ......................

I'd love to but saving up for a P ;)

(I had a choice at work, take voluntary redundancy or go part time... I should have taken the money and bought everything I wanted)

Edited by Tim Dubya

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Was there one in the Jidenco/Falcon ranges?

Don't know about the Road Van but they certainly did a kit for the Drover's Van (latterly of Seaton branch fame).

I managed to pick up an unbuilt one, complete and still sealed, for a very reasonable fiver, last year.

John

• Like 1

According to the (last update unknown) product page:

I've pre-ordered SB003H and SB003J

Just checked my pre-order and found it had been marked void. Wonder if it was because the order was placed in 2014 when originally announced and all the credit cards I might have used since then have been replaced.  Re-ordered but just for the SB003J.  I have an existing one built from a resin kit from Smallbrook Studios maybe 6 years ago. I would love the  larger double end LSWR 1543 van but I doubt the new Cambrian will ever get to it in my lifetime.

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 1

Just checked my pre-order and found it had been marked void. Wonder if it was because the order was placed in 2014 when originally announced and all the credit cards I might have used since then have been replaced.  Re-ordered but just for the SB003J.  I have an existing one built from a resin kit from Smallbrook Studios maybe 6 years ago. I would love the  larger double end LSWR 1543 van but I doubt the new Cambrian will ever get to it in my lifetime.

Thanks for the reminder here too ! ..... My order was still listed OK - I know my credit card has changed since I ordered two vans - but it might well change again before the goods are actually on the shelves ...........................

• 1 month later...

In November at Warley Kernow advised me that the roadvan brake would be following the D600s into production ............. on Saturday at Crawley I asked whether there was any news on the road van and was given a fairly emphatic "no" !  ...................................... hmmmm

• RMweb Gold

In November at Warley Kernow advised me that the roadvan brake would be following the D600s into production ............. on Saturday at Crawley I asked whether there was any news on the road van and was given a fairly emphatic "no" !  ...................................... hmmmm

Sounds like something may have occurred (or not) in the meantime.........

The D600s are at first EP stage which means that they need to go through other stages before they get produced. Also under the Road van Brake web page it says that they are aiming to start tooling in Spring 2018.

Samuel.

• Like 2

The D600s are at first EP stage which means that they need to go through other stages before they get produced. Also under the Road van Brake web page it says that they are aiming to start tooling in Spring 2018.

Samuel.

........ second EP shown a couple of days ago ............................. not sure what happened to Spring 2018 : it's bucketing down outside so we must've got to summer .....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am pleased to announce that DJModels Ltd has been commissioned by Kernow Model Rail Centre to produce exclusively for them a OO gauge model of the LSWR 'Road Van'.

This model was laser scanned using the version on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway, when the O2 was scanned, but only in the last few months has negotiations and the contract been awarded, leading to what you see here in relation to a mostly finished cad/cam.

Full details of all liveries, running numbers and specifications can be found on the Kernow web site, and those that subscribe will be getting this press release in more detail directly from Kernow.

Cheers

Dave

OP Sept 2014 and it's now May 2018 and it's just a brake van!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the model D600s have been in the works longer than the real ones were in service. 

If the EP shown at Taunton is anything to go by, the model should substantially out-perform the prototype..............

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

OP Sept 2014 and it's now May 2018 and it's just a brake van!

I would suggest that Kernow are equally frustrated by all of this and that these delays are out of their hands.

If the wait becomes unbearable then a call to Smallbrook could be made and purchase their resin kit. Simply because I have had one for quite a bit, I will be building mine soon.

Rob.

It is strange that this is taking so long.  This is a model that I was very interested in, but I confess I had forgotten all about it!

The reason for the delay might well be that there have been substantial revisions.  Going on the CADs that we were originally shown, I certainly hope so; it would be a pity if this model ended up as an Oxford-style mash up, an amalgam of the early and late builds and good for neither. Some of the fine components, like the brake gear, might be proving a challenge, especially if they want to improve on some of the crudeness and inaccuracy of the ex-LSW rolling stock we have seen from them in the past. 

Another factor might be that Kernow has changed direction.  We know in the case of the GW Railmotor that the same original partner manufacturer was dropped in favour of dealing direct with the Chinese factory.  If this is also the case with the Road Van, it might account for some of the delay, and, indeed, the silence. I have high hopes for the rail motor, by the way; I know nothing about the Bulleid diesel prototype, but the model seems to have come off all right, suggesting that Kernow have a pretty good grip on things these days.

Still, all things come to them that wait; I have a Birdcage in the hand to prove it!

As ever, if taking time over something results in a finer model of greater fidelity, I'm all for it.

I'd like to see some signs of positive developments on this project, nonetheless.

Edited by Edwardian

• RMweb Gold

Everybody blames the Chinese! I think it’s more probable that Kernow’s market research shows that there isn’t sufficient interest to justify the capital expenditure

Sorry but this is unfounded and incorrect.  Kernow will have their reasons for the time taken but it is going ahead and am sure there will be more news soon...

• RMweb Gold

Everybody blames the Chinese! I think it’s more probable that Kernow’s market research shows that there isn’t sufficient interest to justify the capital expenditure

I have to disagree with that.

Recent introductions have seen strong sales for pre group liveries and ex L&SWR prototypes in general. A brake van specific to these routes cannot fail as far as I can see.

Your post is purely speculative. If it is based on fact then please feel free to share such information on which you base the above.

Rob

So far four years and nothing. If Kernow thought they were going to make money on this item they’d have made sure it was on the shelves by now. They have introduced other model in the mean time which implies that the hold up is not in China

• RMweb Gold

So far four years and nothing. If Kernow thought they were going to make money on this item they’d have made sure it was on the shelves by now. They have introduced other model in the mean time which implies that the hold up is not in China

You are jumping to conclusions when you don't have facts.

On a positive, posts like yours keep the thread active...........a bit like hot air keeping a balloon in the sky.

Rob

• Like 1

I suspect that they have been really busy with everything else they just got or are getting out. Looking over the last several months : 4-TC, Bulleid Diesels, Gate Stock, Turbots, 1361s to name a few most of which are older, a couple nearly twice the age.

About to come, more Bulieid diesels and D6xx.

Not to mentions all those exclusive loco classes from Bachmann and Hornby.

Only this van and the steam Railcar are on the back burner so I'll be amazed if they have time for anything else right now but clearly they have been deeply motivated over the past year to move these projects forwards.