Finescale Railway Modelling Review. Issue 1, Autumn 2014

Arthur

Still waiting for mine. Subscribed on Friday morning so I presume Scale4um got in the way a bit!

JF

Still waiting for mine too - which I'm not moaning about at all. I'm assuming demand has exceeded supply (Bob mentioned another print run might be required), which can only be good news for the viability of the title.

By paying through Paypal it has automatically set up an annual renewal.

Pete

I too noticed the 'recurring PayPal' thing. What I've done before, and with this mag too, is to go into PayPal > settings > at bottom left 'classic site' > settings > my profile > my money >my preapproved payments > update, and from there you can cancel the recurring part of the payment after the initial subscription for the year has gone through.

There's probably a quicker way if somebody knows how ...

Hi all

Several points here:

Yes, we have caught up with the Scaleforum backlog but there is still a possibility that the second half of this week will be tricky until the new print run arrives at the weekend, after which it should all be plain sailing. The response at Scaleforum was fantastic, as it has been since Finescale Review went live last week. Even though we were convinced we were filling that 'inspiration gap' in the market, we were taken by surprise at just how much of a gap it appears to be.

Before dealing with PayPal, we're aware that there are still plenty of people who never go online, let alone have a PayPal account, so it is worth mentioning that we take payment in almost any form - cheque, cash or credit/debit card, details of which can be posted, faxed (01223 290195) or emailed as a secure attachment. People who never go online won't see this, so please pass it on! I will be making it very clear in the magazine.

I find PayPal's habit of setting up a 'recurring payment' for anything vaguely like a subscription a bit irritating, too, but they can't (and don't) simply take money from your account when a year has passed. They will remind you and you can decline with a click or two. Or you can simply cancel automatic payments from the off, through your account control panel. Decauville's above is one method but I think it may be more straightforward to do it via the actual transaction details.

Finally - for the moment - many thanks indeed for all the feedback. Having put so much into the new magazine, we are encouraged, heartened and energised to keep up the good work!

Regards

Bob Barlow

• RMweb Premium

I think you're seeing a very positive result (for you) of the steady dumbing down over the years of the mainstream magazines. This has been mentioned more than once in many of those magazine threads but generally there's been the response that the changes are market driven and to give readers what they want. I hope the other mags take note that there are still many folk out there who don't want, and are tired of, the highly exciting, over-coloured, sound-bite formats that are becoming the norm.

We'll done for challenging the norm and best wishes for your continued success.

• RMweb Gold

I e-mailed Bob about mine (ordered Thursday evening) earlier today (also not moaning, just a little impatient!).  Sounds like the high demand plus Scaleforum caused a little backlog, but good news is that it sounds like they have now caught up.

I also ordered late Thursday and it hasn't arrived yet but knowing (hoping) they would have a busy weekend I'm still happy to wait, seems like it will be worth waiting for.

I was one of the Early Birds and got mine at the end of last week and I am very impressed with the content. This will now be my magazine of choice for the future.

I'm going to hide my old Cordon wagon away now until I make it more presentable - and I thought it looked the bees knees over 30 years ago :no:

Jim

As predicted, the first printing of Finescale Review ran out today (Weds), which means that orders received after this morning can't be processed for two or three days, when the reprint comes in. I was at the printer's today (setting up issue 100 of Narrow Gauge & Industrial RM Review for the presses) and saw some of the first pages of the reprint in the press room, so it is well under way. 

I've had several friendly calls from buyers who ordered Friday, Saturday and Sunday, wondering where their copies are, so I'll just repeat that orders received while we were at the launch show could not be fully processed until yesterday (Tues) - so they really are on the way! The other thing to say is that we probably can't expect the Post Office to do the 24hrs door-to-door thing every time! I got a letter from North Wales in under 24 hours today, but that really is the exception in my experience.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your patience.

Regards

Bob B      

Hi all

Several points here:

Yes, we have caught up with the Scaleforum backlog but there is still a possibility that the second half of this week will be tricky until the new print run arrives at the weekend, after which it should all be plain sailing. The response at Scaleforum was fantastic, as it has been since Finescale Review went live last week. Even though we were convinced we were filling that 'inspiration gap' in the market, we were taken by surprise at just how much of a gap it appears to be.

Before dealing with PayPal, we're aware that there are still plenty of people who never go online, let alone have a PayPal account, so it is worth mentioning that we take payment in almost any form - cheque, cash or credit/debit card, details of which can be posted, faxed (01223 290195) or emailed as a secure attachment. People who never go online won't see this, so please pass it on! I will be making it very clear in the magazine.

I find PayPal's habit of setting up a 'recurring payment' for anything vaguely like a subscription a bit irritating, too, but they can't (and don't) simply take money from your account when a year has passed. They will remind you and you can decline with a click or two. Or you can simply cancel automatic payments from the off, through your account control panel. Decauville's above is one method but I think it may be more straightforward to do it via the actual transaction details.

Finally - for the moment - many thanks indeed for all the feedback. Having put so much into the new magazine, we are encouraged, heartened and energised to keep up the good work!

Regards

Bob Barlow

Hi Bob,

I am really pleased for you guys and for all the readers - we all seem to enjoy the new publication.

Any more thoughts on the packaging and the Royal Mail issue?

Kindest,

CME

• RMweb Premium

I glad it was mentioned  on here that the print run ran out I was getting worried,, it bodes well for the future that it has done though!

I bought a copy from Bob himself at S4um and having enjoyed what I have had time to read so far, would like to take out a subscription. However, I can only subscribe nline for twelve months/four copies including the one I already have.   Perhaps Greystar could look at that and either offer the next three copies as one option for those that have bought the inaugural copy, or offer the next four starting at number two.

MRJ operate their subscription service commencing at whatever issue you choose, although they haven't got online ordering yet! I think it is also unlikely that my local model shop will stock it.

Jol

I bought a copy at Scaleforum on Saturday, then decided to subscribe, and paid the subscription on Sunday (again over the table at S4rum).  Bob Barlow was happy for the subscription to run from No.2 to No.5, so you shouldn't  have a problem.

• RMweb Premium

My copy was waiting for me when I got home from work this evening. Only had a brief flick through so far but first impressions are that this is my kind if magazine, very impressed. Expect I'll be subscribing once issue 2 comes out. Excellent stuff.

A 'Me too' post. Mine arrived today & I've just had a read-through of the articles that took my fancy - leds, Cordons & Guerillas.

Magazine wise, I like the ethos, content, presentation & production. I think that covers the whole package  :good:  Congrats & thanks to Bob & the team.

I'll be back for more, either from Tennents etc or as a subscriber.

I'm delighted to say that the reprint is here and copies to those whose orders came after the first print ran out will be going in the post tomorrow (Monday), swiftly followed by trade repeat orders (which means that the Titfield Thunderbolt, Bill Hudson Books, Ian Allan Bookshop and the like will shortly be back in stock).

To the subscribers and single-copy buyers who have had to wait the extra few days, thanks for your patience.

Regards

Bob Barlow 

• RMweb Premium

Coming fairly late to this discussion, (discussed it on the Narrow Gauge forum instead) I sent in my subscrition as soon  as I heard about it, and I'm very impressed by the new magazine.  Long may it flourish!

Dave.T

Archived