C&M Models/Dapol ScotRail 'Saltire' 156 in 'N' gauge

Mike at C&M

C&M Models are delighted to announce that Dapol have accepted a commission to produce an exclusive limited edition Class 156 2-Car 'Sprinter' unit in the current ScotRail 'Saltaire' livery. This is an 'N' gauge model

Production is scheduled for early in 2015, and it is our hope that the model will be available around March 2015.

The price of the model is £109.95, plus postage if applicable. It is not expected that there will be a price rise out of Dapol in the interim.

The specification for the model is as for the standard Dapol model. Namely Super Creep Motor, Directional Lighting, DCC 6-pin Ready, All Wheel Drive and Light Bar Ready.

Advance reservations are now being taken, and the easiest way to register your interest is to e-mail us on sales@candmmodels.co.uk

We hope this will prove as resounding a success as our ScotRail liveried Mark 3 coach sets have done.

Mike Parsons

C&M Models

post-7003-0-00198400-1411736397_thumb.jpg

Edited by 87029
  • Like 8

Hi Mike,

Excellent idea...despite the fact I have already painted my own dummy 156 a couple of years ago in Saltire livery. Got a number for it yet..I'd like to se one in the 156500-156514 series.

I'll definately be in for one unit maybe two......will there be an unpowered version..although it would be easy enough to switch chassis around!!!

Later,

Stu in OAKN.

Ps...I have taken the liberty, Mike of cross posting your announcement on to the N Gauge Forum for wider publicity as there are some on there who are not members here!!

Edited by Stu from EGDL

Thank you for the positive response. Especially to those who are spreading the word on my behalf, it is highly appreciated

No unit numbered has been decided, but the one I photographed in detail at Carlisle station was 156.512, and the driver was kind enough to put me a number of different destinations up in the matrix display.

Looking to update the shop website over the weekend, to facilitate online ordering.

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks ago, several people in prominent places within the industry questioned whether the relevant permissions were in place for us to do this model. There was a danger that our project could hit the buffers before we had really started.

I am happy to report that following assistance from these people, often in places you would not expect, Dapol now have the relevant licences in place to produce the model, so the project goes ahead!

A big thank you to everyone for their help.

• Like 3

When we did the ScotRail Mark 3 coaches, we put up the pictures of the livery samples and asked for any comments on errors and omissions that needed correcting. So below is the provisional artwork for the ScotRail 156. Any comments will be gratefully received.

We are already aware of the double numbering on both the coaches.

post-7003-0-47274800-1414180439_thumb.jpg

Edited by 87029

• RMweb Gold

Looks good - a couple of points, though.

The roof should be black over the ribbed area - only the 156433 received the blue roof.

On the secondman's side, the lettering under ScotRail is now in Gaelic.

10620438_850794378287189_557578059159086

10750262_850794368287190_838571155951346

Hope the images help - you are probably a bit more local than I am for these beasties! :)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

Very nice.  A couple of small points:

1)  The white dots at the very outer edge of of the unit "wrap around" onto the front.  I think the artwork is trying to illustrate this.

2)  I think the "solebar" should be blue.

I wasn't sure about the Saltire marking on the inner ends of the model, but a little photo trickery of putting the cars together suggests they are about right:

post-420-0-00034200-1414187610_thumb.jpg

HTH and good luck with the project!

cheers

Ben A.

• 2 weeks later...

But gutted this is in N gauge as living in Glasgow I see these all the time, and the Hornby ones in oo are nowhere to be seen.

The roof was my main point as it wasn't all blue. It's also missing the side lights and some unused window panels (beyond the livery though)

Also (and I know screens don't show exact colours) but the doors look to be a bright white in the sample, maybe there just never cleaned up here but they always seemed more of a dull white. I also assume the change in blues around the saltire ends are just the photoshop use. The main blues might also be a bit bright.

Last point (as I'm probably going on now) but the dots in the blue sections and the main logo look really poor. Again I assume this is just at samples stage and is to be tweaked so just tell me to be quiet if I'm thinking to far ahead :)

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby ones are also inaccurate despite being told before production, at a Perth show, that they were not correct. Another one where Simon Kohler seemingly listened but then nothing happened! As has been pointed out above the roof should be black, the Hornby one was Blue, in fact the whole Hornby model looked like it had been moulded in blue, really not a very accurate model at all.  As with the Scotrail mk3s it just a shame we have the dead hand of Hornby with large quantities required to do special commissions.  Good luck to C&M obviously Dapol are much more flexible!

obviously Dapol are much more flexible!

Various comments about the N Gauge sample photos have been passed on to Dapol, so we shouldn't fall into the same traps as Hornby.

On 'Captain Electras' advice, I walked the 3 minutes from the shop on to the footbridge shown in his 2nd shot to get a shot of the roof. However, even that was fraught with problems, but that is another story (or three).

Thank you to all for their comments, your interest and assistance is greatly appreciated

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

I've found Dapol to be very reasonable and responsive with getting colours and livery markings right in my dealings with them for the NGS commissions.

And well done for - almost literally - going the extra mile to get the roof colour right!

Cheers

Ben A.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not an expert on this livery, but to my eyes that looks like a superb job of a very complex livery!

Very impressed the numbers on the front are in the correct font as well. Would have been easy to stick with the standard BR style.  Also the lights have been modified to the (correct) two light WIPAC style rather than the three that the original 156's had. 

• RMweb Gold

Got to say that is a very impressive rendering of the Scotrail livery. Believe me, I know it is not an easy scheme to reproduce. I take it you are not going with the Gaellic wording under the right-hand facing car.

• Like 1

Bennyboy,

I would love to say that Dapol have developed a Maglev drive, but that would be a lie.

Adam,  

We thought that this would be a standard livery, with few variations. We were wrong. I photographed 156.512 extensively during a layover in Carlisle station and the decision was taken to re-produce that unit as we know what the correct details are on that unit. As it did not carry the Gaelic wording, neither does the model.

I have had a few PMs with some minor details to check.

Thank to all for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

This does look excellent except for the cab fronts which according to the prototype photograph have a separate section above the windscreen wipers. Will this be featured in the finished model? Apologies for nit-picking but the front appearance is so important.....!

Gerry