C&M Models/Dapol ScotRail 'Saltire' 156 in 'N' gauge

Mike at C&M

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

Having examined the samples when they were photographed last week I can confirm they look excellent.

It's good to see the yellow bar across the windscreen as previously mentioned.

As to colours - you've identified an interesting dilemma. Specifying the right RAL numbers should guarantee this as they are internationally recognised.

However, the photo a few posts above indicates the "scale" problem - the blue dots on the prototype appear somehow brighter - it is often suggested that this is because they are physically larger and therefore reflect more light.

My view is that most of your customers would prefer the reassurance of the model being painted to the correct RAL numbers specified by Scotrail on what us, in my opinion, one of the most attractive of the current liveries.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

Ben,

I had heard of the colour versus scale problem, but never come across it in real life until now.

With the original samples, in some lights, the blue dots were not particularly visible, and yet when Michael Portillo did his Scottish tour on TV the same week, even at distance the 156s light blue dots were clearly visible. So something had to be done to 'correct' the problem.

I suspect I gave a few people a good laugh kneeling down next to a 156 in Carlisle station trying to photograph an 'N' gauge bodyshell held up against the full size version.

The decision is mine to change the lighter blue colour, and I have done this based solely on the fact the dots are as visible on the model, as they are on the prototype. I feel that as it was, I would face more criticism for having the livery of the unit not looking right, even though the RAL colours used have been copied.

Who would commission a model?

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

I'd actually misunderstood your original post!

The samples I saw looked right - I thought you were planning to make them lighter.

I now realise I was looking at the lightened version - and I agree that is absolutely the way to go!

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Top notch ... a good colour match stripes on coaches show the 50/50 split and loco the 33/66 split but not that bad to look at , if it is bad to the eye then Railtec do a suitable transfer I believe and fox do as well.  

looking forward to both and in time the DBSO which seems to be going backward !

Robert

• 1 month later...

The model looks good. Are you still intending to release as 'First'. The contract changed earlier this year to Abellio. Livery is the same as Transport Scotland had decided to have one livery to save money when the franchise changed hands. Only the operator decals on the doors had to be changed (almost sure it was only the doors that had the 'First' markings).

Andy

The model will be released with the 'First' logos on, as these are what we photographed when the livery was being researched. At that time, it was not known what the 'Abellio' labelling would be.

Obviously with the livery remaining the same under the new franchise, anyone who must have an Abellio unit can amend the 'First' logos without affecting the livery as modelled.

• Like 1

Indeed, and it is worth noting that if you are modelling ScotRail the two 170 releases and recent 158 from Farish are all modelled with "Operated by First" logos and there was no "transition period" where both First and Abellio logo'd stock ran together, having spent a couple of months making sure all signs of First logos were removed, there was a massive overnight push to get every single unit decorated with Abellio logos on the 31st March/1st April.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed, and it is worth noting that if you are modelling ScotRail the two 170 releases and recent 158 from Farish are all modelled with "Operated by First" logos and there was no "transition period" where both First and Abellio logo'd stock ran together, having spent a couple of months making sure all signs of First logos were removed, there was a massive overnight push to get every single unit decorated with Abellio logos on the 31st March/1st April.

Good point about the 170s and 158. Tempted to build a small layout using all 3. Great to see someone willing to produce the 156 in Scotrail livery as it is the workhorse of many of the unelectrified lines around Glasgow

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Unfortunately, we have been advised that production of our limited edition Class 156 in Scotrail ‘Saltire’ livery has once again been pushed back.
The problem is not with our model, but delays in production with models that are in front of ours within the queue at the factory.

We now hope that the 156s will be with us some time in November.

For those patiently waiting for the release of our exclusive model, our apologies for the continuing delays.

Edited by 87029

• 3 weeks later...

I am delighted to report that production of our ScotRail 'Saltire' 156s has now been completed in China.

They are being airfreighted to the UK, and allowing for customs, QC checks etc. , they will hopefully be with us in about a fortnight.

For those who have pre-ordered, we will contact you when they arrive in Carlisle so that we can arrange delivery and payment (where details are not already held).

Thank you for your patience,

Mike

• Like 3

Guest eddie reffin

I am delighted to report that production of our ScotRail 'Saltire' 156s has now been completed in China.

They are being airfreighted to the UK, and allowing for customs, QC checks etc. , they will hopefully be with us in about a fortnight.

For those who have pre-ordered, we will contact you when they arrive in Carlisle so that we can arrange delivery and payment (where details are not already held).

Thank you for your patience,

Mike

Great news Mike. Really looking forward to it arriving after seeing the sample in the shop this week. Was good to have a blether too.

Cheers

Eddie

Guest eddie reffin

Mine has reached me up here in Inverness. Only had a quick look but it's superb. Thanks to Mike for such a prompt dispatch.

post-3930-0-79060000-1445074534_thumb.jpg

Edited by eddie reffin
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Just back from Peterborough to find mine waiting for me on the doorstep.  Unpacked already and looks great.  Will have to wait until tomorrow before it can be run and maybe a few piccies taken.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to C&M Models for another superb limited edition, mine has made it accross the Channel and works well in DCC mode (unlike some Dapol 156s). Just waiting for the orange and black Strathclyde PTE version to be announced (hint-hint).

• Like 1