Well hello there,

So I have some track left over from a project I did a few years back, and I had the thought to make a small shunting layout for exhibitions and to use up leftover track and scenics etc. So, I need help from you wonderful people to put forward a few 00 gauge track plans, 6x4 is pretty much the maximum, and I am hoping for something with the peco SL-90. I have a load of peco code 100 flexitrak, so fire away with the suggestions! any further info you need, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

I agree with BoD - quite frankly, a shunting layout on a 4' wide board would probably be a real pain to operate (as in back pain), especially at exhibitions.

I'd be very tempted to cut the 6x4 board down the middle - you'd have enough for 2 separate shunting/depot planks that way (or an exhibition layout 12x2!)

Also take a look at this month's "Model Rail" - there's a very interesting take on the Derwent Valley line in the preservation era - ideal if you like small locos and quirky trains.

Cyril Freezer drew a couple of industrial roundies, including at least one dockside one. He suggested making the baseboard edge the dockside, and of course the tiny radii are fine. I think that a look in the Peco plan books would be useful. Paul Lunn (Dzine of this parish) has developed the idea of modern light rail tram-train layouts with freight facilities, again his planning book gives examples.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

You could always go for a U shaped layout by taking a 2x2 section from the middle of the top edge. Only just enough space to stand in (providing you're not overly rotund) but from that space you can then reach all areas. 

This gives you a more interesting space to work with and allows far greater possibilities than a straight 6x2 or 6x1 plank. I can visualise a tightly curved dock line weaving between a couple of warehouses taking and receiving goods from a couple of different quays. You could also then add in an industry for a final twist. 

This would give the potential of a wide variety of traffic, a good reason for the tight curves that would be needed and lots of shunting potential. 

• RMweb Premium

One track plan does come to mind - Scotland Street yard (Edinburgh) which in BR days was a freight-only terminus in an urban location. The tracks certainly fanned out in several directions almost directly from the tunnel mouth, so your 4' deep board might possibly be of use!

Back in the late 1980s there was a very good model which was featured in at least one mag - might be worth digging a copy out.

Try the Model Railroader, the American modeling magazine. They have published many shunting layout plans for 6 x 4 and 8 x 4 boards. Usually a

round and round with a loop or sidings down each side. The centre is occupied by a model town or industrial estate that hides the nature of the continuous

circuit. Each layout design is often based around some theme or other. Such as a logging layout or a busy industrial park.

e.g. post-6220-0-27857800-1411919723.gif

from the gatewayNMRA website

Archived