Mmmm nice thinking :) As this one is nearing completion, maybe that will be suitable incentive, although I need more trucks / vans and an actual layout first, perhaps!

So here is the mostly done loco, with a couple of pieces of stock for comparison. All the other stock is tiny too, mind - the coach body is a scale 5' tall, and the brake van the smallest prototype I could find.

post-11344-0-62102900-1413402419.jpg

post-11344-0-99268300-1413402423.jpg

post-11344-0-54022000-1413402428.jpg

post-11344-0-56323200-1413402435.jpg

• Like 3

Many thanks :)

Prepared the drawings of the coaches myself from photographs, so may be a bit off on the dimensions. have a book of drawings to use next :)

The loco is freelance, with more than a nod to the Neilson Piano Tanks. Box tank is mid way, to give me a second vehicle.

Everything bar the wheels, motors and a few odds and ends is made from card and laminated up.

ok, just to show off - progress on a humble box tank for the goods traffic. would look good if I built a bit of a mine complex for the chaldron waggons to play in, except I would need loads of them and they were the very devil to get right!

post-11344-0-84609900-1414105022.jpg

post-11344-0-10498900-1414105139.jpg

post-11344-0-94597800-1414105146.jpg

Edited by cornamuse
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

hehehe, and thanks!

the crew haven't got round to painting it, or giving it a chimney yet :)

could so easily be a battery loco, though, and yes, I want to build a bit of a mine for it to potter around- something like an earlier version of the beamish mine would be cool.

Edited by cornamuse

yes, I think they did, I was just thinking aloud - some of the early slate mining electric locos were converted from steam ones, and the box tank does look rather like a  battery loco - so I had better get some boiler fittings on there! 

no real plans, although a friend found me some sketches towards the end of the build that helped a lot

decided to make it to fit the wheels I had (slaters wagon wheels, with my own inserts) and also the motor and gears. I haven't seen two of these that look the same, so felt I was allowed to freelance - a big part of that was inside cylinders,  which I haven't seen on any - but I didn't feel up to outside gear yet - this is the first time I have built locos without skirts!

Some progress:

People from A C Stadden - lovely and full of character. In fact, my son and I have been naming them and writing their back stories. So we have George Pinkerton, Driver of Lord Charles, the piano tank; Richard Smith, Driver of Sir Andrew the box tank; Bert and Aggie Cooper, passengers in the 3rd open, and a Peco guy, Thomas Carter (painted with some gentle help, by my 3 year old)

We also have some work on the cabs of the locos!

Reasons for the  names and back story:

1) Son needs to know everyone's name

2) It helps to work out what is occurring in the model

3) I would like to exhibit the layout, and a tiny one like this would need a gimmick to make it interesting to the public, and I have an idea in mind that I haven't seen anyone do before, and I think would make it very accessible to non enthusiasts in particular... (have never exhibit before, no idea how you get to do this, but love showing my work in here, as the comments are so useful)

post-11344-0-62557500-1415477384.jpg

post-11344-0-55017000-1415477391.jpg

post-11344-0-05953400-1415477405.jpg

post-11344-0-74189600-1415477411.jpg

post-11344-0-03037500-1415477431.jpg

post-11344-0-77201200-1415477436.jpg

post-11344-0-37948600-1415477441.jpg

post-11344-0-71996700-1415477445.jpg

Edited by cornamuse
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Just to show something has been occurring - the front of a tea room, which will be part of a short row hiding the entrance to the fiddle yard.

also - make yourself popular with younger relatives : fairy doorways - 8cm tall, they blu-tack to the skirting board - a little door for the fairies to come out of at night.

come on guys - dead easy, and these things seem to sell for about £10. cost me a sheet of card and some random bits!

anyone want the door plans? just let me know!

yes, I like the number 3, for houses!

post-11344-0-50697200-1417726497.jpg

post-11344-0-84061000-1417726514.jpg

post-11344-0-53603200-1417726521.jpg

post-11344-0-55282000-1417726529.jpg

post-11344-0-62590500-1417726533.jpg

Edited by cornamuse
  • Like 3

Those look rather nice. I know a quaint tea room that that looks very Victorian if you'd like me to get the photos of it i took if your interested in building another one for the layout. I must admit i've checked this thread every so often just to see if anything news been done. Victorian locos and such like appeal to me you see...

Lloyd

Glad you like it! The photographs sound great, but the whole layout is only likely to have space for 2 or 3 non railway buildings - this row of shops, in fact - so I don't suppose I will have space for another. Thanks anyway, though

cheers

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

so, some real progress

we have a layout, with track (no wiring)

more buildings (different stages of completion)

2 levels, a bit of road

a LOT of wall to finish painting

and one of those feelings that everything needs doing before everything else

a major challenge is how to motorise a disk and bar signal using a cobalt point motor. a bit pricey for the job, but I have one sitting around, and it stalls itself, making operation by a 3 year old very easy (seeing as he was the one who didn't want to just move it with his finger), and also moves nice and slowly. however, it isn't rotational. any bright ideas? anyone built and used such prehistoric signals?

so, to the pictures...

there will be better ones once I get a basic winters day backscene up - I think winter rather than summer, but not sure. the walls do rather show some nursery indoctrination going on

more to the point - can anyone spot the odd one out, from my figures? captions anyone?

post-11344-0-63009500-1419979854.jpg

post-11344-0-42537700-1419979860.jpg

post-11344-0-83513600-1419979865.jpg

• Like 4

further progress - slight cheat as some had been done at time of previous post, but was not in place on the layout.

The disc and bar signal is in, operational and linked to the point -  serving a useful purpose, as I cant see which way the point is set without moving myself, and that would be so wrong, wouldn't it! I know it is a GW prototype, for a railway set in the North East, and also a prototype that is designed for sidings, but the layout represents a fictional small railway company in the 1860s, so who knows what they might have done. Whilst it is wired up, that can be changed - so - does anyone know which way meant stop? I assume the circle showing was stop, the bar showing was proceed?

Connecting the cobalt motor to the signal was simple and effective, if you don't think about the horrors involved... open the casing, scrabble on the floor for all the gears you have just dropped, work out how they go back, then - more relevantly - drill out the casing in line with the last gear, and drill the centre of the gear too, then fit a length of 2mm square brass tube into the gear to fit inside the operating rod of the signal. I then soldered an arm to the brass tube and glued 2 uprights to the casing to limit the traverse of the arm to 90 degrees. hope that all makes sense - it doesn't look pretty, works a dream, still stalls at the end of each traverse, and moves nice and slowly, just as required. it will also operate from the same switch as the point motor, which was the important consideration. I just wish I had taken some photos. Should anyone really care, I will see what I can do!

Stone flags outside the tearoom are done, with a muddy puddle in the  process of being formed, due to the demands of the Small Controller. He had drawn where it was to go, and involving him in the process and operation is important. We also have stone setts in the goods yard, and quite a fancy wall around it, hopefully hiding the join with the (still) non-existent backscene. I need to fix that, even if it is with a temporary one, as the walls are rather distracting! 

There is also a new building in the form of 1/4 of a Goods Shed, masking the exit of the other piece of track. It is essentially freelance, based on a S&D prototype, but not too closely, and I wanted it to fit in with the station building and look a little swanky. Anyway, if freelancing works for the narrow gauge guys, why not standard gauge?  And hell - my locos are freelance, so the Goods Shed is the least of my worries. Not visible is a very nice little crane of the gallows type, to make the inside look busy enough to hide the absence of the rest of the shed.to make up for it, another crane of the same type will soon take up residence on the loading dock.

so, there we go, guys. hope you enjoy!

post-11344-0-91745300-1420241291.jpg

post-11344-0-06895800-1420241308_thumb.jpg

post-11344-0-57420100-1420241342_thumb.jpg

post-11344-0-80389900-1420241365_thumb.jpg

post-11344-0-04595300-1420241377_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I've been waiting for an update on this layout. The suspense has been killing me! I think the layouts come along brilliantly although i do believe some of your miniature rszidents should have laid off of the turkey. I remember looking at bar type signals a while ago and I favourited this photo  HERE to refer back to. I hope it helps.

All the best,

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium

more to the point - can anyone spot the odd one out, from my figures? captions anyone?

Three of the figures are standing still, and the fourth one (in the foreground) seems to be walking away from them. So judging by their poses waiting for a train and to start digging, and there being two engines in steam, I'll suggest "The crew training day was unannounced and unwelcome".

- Richard.

• Like 1

another question, guys - lime cells:

do they have anything covering the front of the cells to protect the lime from the weather? I have the roof over, but do they have weatherboards or planking or anything at the front? Also, I assume the whole area would be stained fairly bright white? I cant find any decent pictures of them being used in action. The coal cells I am happy with - basically a bl**dy big heap of coal, lots of muck and a shovel or two...

• RMweb Premium

Lime cell details do seem scarce online.

At Darlington they had doors: http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-496236-lime-cells-

At Goathland they are open: http://www.mylearning.org/goathland-as-a-contrasting-locality/images/3-1684/

Perhaps the best bet is to model them open (so people can see what they are) and quite tidy (like Goathland nowadays). Then it would be straightforward to add some clutter. I'd imagine, they would try to minimise mess because it is so caustic.

If you take the model to an exhibition you will probably find more retired lime buyers, traffickers, hauliers and users than you imagined were still alive, ready to put you right :-)

- Richard.