Thank you all - and hijack away, Edwardian, Sir. The engine shed is very attractive - I like the buttresses in particular. Looks like it has been extended in all sorts of directions, too.

I am starting to form ideas for a couple of extensions - a corner unit with a bridge and church, maybe a farmhouse or that crossing cottage. The other is the colliery with an engine shed - and maybe the cottage if I don't use it elsewhere!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Dusting the cobwebs off in here...

Gainford Spa is due to get an extension- frankly, to make it worth operating... space is at a premium- I have 2' x 1' available at the moment. So what do I plan to do?

post-11344-0-18018400-1508102972_thumb.jpg

This is the track plan- just 2 lines, incorporating a historic goods shed, hope town carriage works, one of the world's first office blocks, and Brussleton station with train shed. I know. I'm slightly insane! Progress may be slow on this one, I have a lot of other projects and very limited energy these days, despite having a great deal of time.

Suggestions welcomed...

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

So...

The madness continues:

This is the slow but steady progress on my homage to Hopetown carriage works (on the same site as North Road Station in Darlington). They are some of the earliest such buildings in the world, fitting in with my seriously pre-grouping tendencies.

The carriages were worked on in each wing, the completed vehicle exiting through the central door, presumably onto a wagon turntable- which will be featuring on the model. Not sure if the door and turntable will operate, but it is a nice thought!

The marking out has been fun, especially the stones over the arch.

post-11344-0-61739100-1509053580_thumb.jpg

The front is all layers, as per all my models; windows will be made using my card cutter, helping give a nice uniform result.

post-11344-0-35101400-1509053614_thumb.jpg

All done using foamboard and mounting board. The details will be thinner card.

post-11344-0-53169300-1509053627_thumb.jpg

Edit:

Forgot to add that the small controller, a very discerning modeller, looked at it and declared that it looked just like the roman milecastle we built not long ago. He is actually spot on- a dead ringer for something that would have graced Hadrian's Wall

Edited by cornamuse
  • Like 5

Been busy on a few other projects, but some progress has now been made-

I decided the corner stones needed to be much heavier, after looking at the original. So, out with the egg boxes to create some nice deep stones with a rough, textured finish, not unlike the originals.

post-11344-0-78114100-1509961123_thumb.jpg

post-11344-0-67891900-1509961146_thumb.jpg

Then, on with a base coat to kill the white, soften the darker colours and lose the writing on the egg box card. It will form the mortar colour and the basic render colour.

post-11344-0-31676100-1509961159_thumb.jpg

post-11344-0-25123600-1509961170_thumb.jpg

Amazingly, the relief shows up much better after a coat of paint too!

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Glad to see you and your project back.

How is Gainford Spar looking 6 months on?

We went to the fireworks at Gainford this year, at which point our 13-year old son, who had muttered something about meeting up with some school mates, was seen to be dragged off by half a dozen girls.

Nice work if you can get it. 

Look forward to the Hopetown works progressing.  Really high time we visited North Road again, but I seem to go to Darlo but infrequently these days. 

• Like 1

Thank you, Mr Edwardian

Progress is very slow, caused by health and a sudden deviation into building the large scale narrow gauge and a mechanical organ

Gainford spa is waiting for a few details, as well as the extension so that stuff can actually run!

I have been enjoying watching your constructions- superb work!

If you find yourself in Darlington, please pop in for a cuppa!

Edited by cornamuse

Thank you, Mr Edwardian

Progress is very slow, caused by health and a sudden deviation into building the large scale narrow gauge and a mechanical organ

Gainford spa is waiting for a few details, as well as the extension so that stuff can actually run!

I have been enjoying watching your constructions- superb work!

If you find yourself in Darlington, please pop in for a cuppa!

Sounds as if you have been business, and sorry that you have had health issues.  Thank you for your kind words, but I seem to have achieved very little! I'd love to pop in, meet you and see Gainford Spa in the flesh!

Today, I did have occasion to drive to Darlo to meet a train. As it was during daylight, I thought I'd stop and check out the old railway bridge over the Tees at Gainford, and was delighted to find a sign directing me to your prototype ...

post-25673-0-30231800-1512587403_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...