GWR Autocoach Identity

I'll do the easy bit first!  Yes, the non-driving end windows would have been plated over by the time of BR.  The non-driving end on the model looks like one off the boiler room end of a steam railmotor.  This may narrow down the range of possible diagrams since I seem to recall that many trailers had full depth windows at both ends.

[Dashes upstairs to fetch John Lewis's books]

OK, I'm back.  Those windows were a good clue!  If I've interpreted John's writings correctly, the model is of Diagram A31, converted from steam railmotors built to diagram Q.  Possible numbers are 202, 203, 207, 208, 209 and 219.  Then we look at the bogies.  202/3/19 had 8 ft wb fishbelly bogies, which the model does not.  It does have what appear to be 7 ft wb light duty bogies, giving us 207/8/9.  207 was condemned in December 1956, the other two in March and August 1957 respectively.  This is too early for them to have received maroon livery, unless the photograph has misinterpreted crimson or they acquired wine red around 1949-50.

Chris

• 2 years later...

One of our Newhaven club members is making a model of Shrewsbury circa 1962 and is trying to match his stock with details we are finding on-line or in books etc. The attached is part of a scanned copy of an autocoach at Shrewsbury between probably 1958 and 62, possibly 63. Of course it is in departmental use, unfortunately smoke from a loco is obscuring the rear of the coach, but can anyone deduce what diagram this autocoach might be to?

post-7553-0-91068500-1487360757.jpg

One of our Newhaven club members is making a model of Shrewsbury circa 1962 and is trying to match his stock with details we are finding on-line or in books etc. The attached is part of a scanned copy of an autocoach at Shrewsbury between probably 1958 and 62, possibly 63. Of course it is in departmental use, unfortunately smoke from a loco is obscuring the rear of the coach, but can anyone deduce what diagram this autocoach might be to?

attachicon.gifShrewsburyDmntlAutoC B.jpg

The recessed driver's door, 9 ft bogies, flush steel panelling and flush glazing suggest A30.

Chris

The Shrewsbury connection suggests it was No. 187, built A.30 12/32, condemned 01/61, departmental 06/61. Listed in John Lewis' Trailers book (Vol. 2, p. 285) as "Traffic HQ & Mobile Office, Shrewsbury"

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/079045-1

Pete S.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Shrewsbury connection suggests it was No. 187, built A.30 12/32, condemned 01/61, departmental 06/61. Listed in John Lewis' Trailers book (Vol. 2, p. 285) as "Traffic HQ & Mobile Office, Shrewsbury"

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/079045-1

Pete S.

And the prototype of the 'original' Airfix blood and custard model!

• RMweb Gold

And the prototype of the 'original' Airfix blood and custard model!

The original Airfix model wasn't finished in blood and custard, it was a sort of faded crimson/maroon, plus of course, a GWR version in chocolate and cream.. 

I'm not certain if Airfix got round to producing it in blood and custard before the tooling passed to Dapol upon their demise and, ultimately, Hornby.

John

• 1 year later...

The original Airfix model wasn't finished in blood and custard, it was a sort of faded crimson/maroon, plus of course, a GWR version in chocolate and cream.. 

I'm not certain if Airfix got round to producing it in blood and custard before the tooling passed to Dapol upon their demise and, ultimately, Hornby.

John

Though it was the prototype of the GWR Choc & Cream version.

Edited by 81E

• RMweb Gold

John

Mainline issued them in blood & custard numbered W176W and W178W in 1983/4 then Dapol sold some remaining ex Mainline W176W stock in 1985.

The Airfix etc model is a hybrid.  That it has recessed driver's doors and 9 ft wb bogies makes it more like an A30 [187 - 196] than an A28 [171 - 180] which had less than flush glazing.  The December 2017 issue of Hornby Magazine is well worth a look - it contains an article by Tim Shackleton on how to make one of each from the venerable rtr model.

Chris