Project X

ffayolle

Hi all of you,

After having built YL Point (Cf. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77946-yl-point/), I would like building my life's layout!!!

post-3358-0-03968500-1412254977.gif

Some informations :

- Size : 4,20 meters

- Track & turnout : Peco code 124

I would like reproducing a terminus branch including a turntable. So, I mix some trackplans I've fund.

So, what do you think about this trackplan, please ?

Comments welcome!!!

Fabrice

Hi all of you,

After having built YL Point (Cf. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77946-yl-point/), I would like building my life's layout!!!

attachicon.gifprojectx.gif

Some informations :

- Size : 4,20 meters

- Track & turnout : Peco code 124

I would like reproducing a terminus branch including a turntable. So, I mix some trackplans I've fund.

So, what do you think about this trackplan, please ?

Comments welcome!!!

Fabrice

Hi Fabrice,

I think it makes for an interesting plan with plenty of shunting puzzles, but the one area that I would change is to make what looks like a head shunt into a run round loop by the platform. And maybe a small engine shed with the track coming off the turntable, just above the coal merchant siding.

Also after seeing the quality of your modelling on YL Point,  I  honestly think you should consider building your own points using C & L components. It is not that hard to do, it works out cheaper in the long run and it also not only looks better but you can make the track ( flow ) as you are not governed to R-T-R sizes and radii.

All the best,

Martyn.

If you're building a small branch line, why not use the turntable as the locomotive release instead of a point and give yourself an extra siding. You may also find that you can then have a point at the entrance to the station rather than relying on the sector-plate. I also note that there is no goods shed. This should be virtually essential for a common-carrier line.

Thank you Martyn and Martin

This is a very difficult game to design a layout especially the life's layout.

I would like having a turntable on this layout, not a 70ft but a 42ft or 50ft turntable. That's a dream, a child dream. So, how can I include it ?

Concerning the headshunt and the goods shed, I have some ideas. So wait and see...

Fabrice

A goods shed does not need to be a large over-track warehouse, which could over power the layout. I have built a small and simple lock-up for my Cwm Bach layout, the scenic area of which measures 3.0m x 0.58m. Here is a link to the page on my forum: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80426-cwm-bach-a-south-wales-branch-line/page-6

Hi Fabrice

That looks a lot of potential operating interest.

One suggestion - arrange the geometry (angles between tracks) so that more than one road of your sector plate can align with exits at the same time - it will make some operating moves easier.

This is what I mean:

post-5673-0-86413300-1412340217_thumb.jpg

The distance between each exit road is the same and when the sector plate is moved over the line at the back is double-spaced compared to the rest. Note the pivot is offset at the end of the first road on the sector plate - this is to maximise the length of the roads and fit with the rest of the alignments. The angled end of the sector plate is required so that it fits behind a backscene at all angles. The layout is 7mm scale 32mm standard gauge with some leftover SM32 track being used in the sector plate.

Nearly forgot to mention - the bit of open frame underneath the red handle in the picture now has a crash deck - just in case!

Regards.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all of you,

I've designed a control panel for this layout.

post-3358-0-01246000-1424781021.jpg

I would like to use an interlocking system. So, I've used a Arduino software I developped to simulate an interlocking system.

More informations about it (sorry but all comments are in French!!!) here

Don't hesitate to comment this

Have a G'day, Fabrice

Hi Fabrice

In theory all of them would be there but you do not really need levers 1 to 6 as the points do not exist and the signals would be off-scene in the fiddle yard.  You could keep them on the signalling diagram but the switches need not be operational.

Does that help a bit?

Out of interest - have you decided what to use for the turntable?

Regards.

Hi Fabrice will follow this with interest you alway come up with interesting layout ideas and your choice of scenic themes are top class.

Going to be an interesting thread.

Just as a suggestion now the Turn table is at the end of the layout on the main platform track do you have room for a engine shed or loco service track returning back off the Turn Table towards the station ??

Happy ModelOing.

• 2 months later...

Hi all of you,

Some news from this project

Currently, I'm building the electronic part of this future layout. Basing on Arduino developments, I've done an interlocking system with  tokenless block system for single track and some special effects like the sound of the lever when it changes. If you're interesting about this development (softawre, PCB,...), don't hesitate to contact me.

The control panel

post-3358-0-04732100-1431853747_thumb.jpg

The interlocking system (in progress)

post-3358-0-30276300-1431854476_thumb.jpg

To be continued

• 2 months later...

Hi all of you,

Currently, I'm building a GUV from Slater's Plastikard for this project.

guv.jpg

The notice is very global. So, do you have some pictures of the brake system, please ?

Simon cox, from Kitwood Hill Models, is designing for me, a 7 mm scale standard gauge turntable. Some informations here.

Comments welcome!!!

G'day, Fabrice

Hi Fabrice,

Good to see an update on your project, I have built a couple of the GUV's but I cannot find the old instructions at the moment.

Regarding the brake gear detail try Paul Bartletts site it is always good for research so try http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ , oh and you have got the roof ventilators the wrong way round, better you find out now than when you have got it all painted ;) .

ATB,

Martyn.

Archived